Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 11:34 AM

419 posts, read 445,982 times

Advertisements

I was just thinking recently that it has been twenty-five years, a quarter century, since 1990. I was in my mid 20s and living in Shadyside. I guess I would have been considered a hipster by today's standards. I followed the local music scene, hung out at The Upstage, went to industrial night at Metropol, smoked clove cigarettes etc. Pittsburgh had a decent music scene in the late 80s and early 1990s. The Clarks music at the time actually had an edge to it in 80s college rock fashion, not the 'goody two shoes' crap that came later. Like today, most of the happening areas were in the East End. I'd like to compare and contrast some of the more popular neighborhoods from 1990 until now. I'm sorry, but I never frequented neighborhoods like Carrick or the West End, so maybe someone else can comment on their changes or some others.

Shadyside.....Shadyside had a few watering holes, some decent shopping and eateries in 1990, but not like now. It was considered a high rent area then as today. Although I lived just a bit away from the heart of the Walnut business district at Howe and Shady. I payed $300.00 a month plus electric for a third floor efficiency. That was very cheap even then, but probably goes about $750.00 today. Ellsworth Avenue was kind of a sleepy street. There was the Elbow Room, the Harris Grill, and a little place at college and Ellsworth called the College Inn. I used to spend many an evening at Doc's on Walnut and even then we talked about how Shadyside and Pittsburgh in general had great amenities, but just was not living up to it's potetial.

Bloomfield.....Bloomfield consisted mostly of long time home owners, many of whom were of Italian descent. There were also renters, many hospital staff from either West Penn or St. Francis(now Children's) There were some college students from Pitt who rented in the neighborhoods also. There was like today and intact business district. Some of them are still hanging on, some have closed and made way for newer establishments. Bloomfield circa 1990 had a blue collar feel, as opposed to today where it consist of artists, students and young professionals.

Lawrenceville...A lot like Bloomfied circa 1990, but more down on it's luck. Many of the bars were nuisance bars. There was a lot of drugs, and I'm not just talking booze and herb. There were a lot of pregnant teens and it was basically Yinzer Central. It has a great history and great architecture. Artists started to move before the final nail was put into it's coffin and the neighborhood came back. It still has a way to go because the neighborhood is so big, but it is happening.

Oakland.....Oakland was still party central over the South Side circa 1990. Suburbanites and college students alike would meet up at places like C.J. Barneys, Calecos, Upstage, the Attic, Peter's Pub, The O,
The Beehive, Sanctuary, Zelda's, and The Decade. Now, mostly college students are the ones partying on weekends. Then like now, Oakland was the third largest CBD in the state. It is on the verge of growing even more.

South Side....By the late 1980s, Pittsburghers started to frequent the South Side as a party destination. Marios, which opened in 1985, attracted people with their yards of beer. Other bars like Margaritaville drew in people from outside the neighborhood. Traditionally blue-collar bars started to capitalize on the new clientele as their regular customers grew old. By the mid 1990s, East Carson resembled Mardi Gras on weekends as it does today.

Squirrel Hill....Squirrel Hill never really had a ton of bars. Around 1990, I remember Silky's and the Squirrel Cage. Sure, there were others that had liquor licenses, but they were restaurants first. Squirrel Hill always had a lot of restaurants. There are more today than ever, especially of Asian Cuisine. LIke in 1990, Squirrel Hill is a good neighborhood to go for a stroll and get a bite to eat without getting all boozed up. There are a of families out and about and really the neighborhood has not changed too much in it's make up of young professionals, grad students, educators and restaurants galore. Sure, there have been some changes in a quarter century, but the neighborhood was already very intact.

So there you have it. It's been twenty-five years. Hard to believe.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 11:36 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,963,287 times
1990 was the year I was born! Haha, Bring back Aqua-Net.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:44 AM

419 posts, read 445,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
1990 was the year I was born! Haha, Bring back Aqua-Net.
One would have to be age forty-six today to legally get into the Upstage in 1990, yet it seems like yesterday that I was dancing in that dark and smoky corner up against the speaker to Jesus and Mary Chain.
Scary isn't it

Old 06-08-2015, 11:57 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,092,229 times
I moved back in 1993, but my memories are - Downtown, Candy-Rama still existed, and Joseph Horne's, as well, though it had lost a lot of its cachet. Murphy's was still open, but I don't remember if the New Diamond Market was still open in the corner (where Chipotle is now).

Old 06-08-2015, 12:51 PM

778 posts, read 839,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
One would have to be age forty-six today to legally get into the Upstage in 1990, yet it seems like yesterday that I was dancing in that dark and smoky corner up against the speaker to Jesus and Mary Chain.
Scary isn't it
They had under 21 nights! I went there a few times, Graffiti many times to see the Affordable Floors, and Pegasus Lounge quite a bit for their under 21 nights.

Most of my memories of the early 90s in Pittsburgh (I graduated high school in 92) are of Oakland and Carson street (not the bars but the original Beehive and stores like Slacker). I don't think I ever once set foot in Lawrenceville until, like, 2006! The Oakland Beehive, Avalon used clothing store, the old Jerry's, and the O were my after school stomping grounds.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:06 PM

733 posts, read 986,853 times
What an awesome post, thanks a lot. I really enjoyed reading that.

Also, that Jesus and Mary Chain show, what a great memory. I was a toddler in 90, but I'd sure love to hop back in time and check that out now.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:16 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,963,523 times
In those days I was working on the North Side and transferred buses downtown to get to Shadyside. But I often stopped at Pegasus, which had an incredible happy hour just about every afternoon. Then I would stagger home on the East Busway by about 8. And get up for work the next morning and be productive. I was in my early 30s and still able to do that.

Also enjoyed the Holiday Bar on Forbes Ave. between Oakland and CMU. It was always hopping (this was before social media, when you actually had to go out and meet people before you hooked up). I believe that on Sunday and Tuesday nights you could buy a drink ticket for something like $6 for five drinks.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:36 PM

831 posts, read 878,512 times
Don't forget about downtown. The Metropol and Rosebud in the strip, plus there were a few clubs downtown...I remember one that was in the first couple floors of a building...had big marble staircases....the name escapes me.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:40 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,963,523 times
Heaven on Sixth Street (now the Renaissance Hotel) had a big marble staircase, and Zack's Fourth Avenue was in the old stock exchange building with a marble interior and marble staircase. Perhaps it was one of those.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:42 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
One place I miss in Oakland was Kane's Courtyard. It was located somewhere between Craig Street and Neville Street, not far from Central Catholic. It was a good deli. I also miss Bamboo Garden on Forbes Avenue in the heart of Oakland. That was the first place I ever ate Chinese food. And C.J. Barney's was where my family celebrated my older brother graduating from high school. Good times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh