Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 01:13 PM

419 posts, read 444,293 times

Advertisements

Sources: Apple to take office at Oxford's Three Crossings development - Pittsburgh Business Times

This is more good news. It will join Uber just a few blocks up the road in their partnership with CMU to create flying cars. Or is it driverless cars? Anyway, it will be nice to see the Strip become a high tech corridor. God knows that there is room down there for it with all of those old foundries and warehouses being under utilized. Those are old relics from the industrial era. We are now in the era of high tech so it would be nice to see it remain a business corridor representing the new Pittsburgh as opposed to what it mostly is now. Mix is some residential and maybe a few fern bars here and there and you got yourself a groovy neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 01:41 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,081,538 times
You and your fern bars!

Old 06-11-2015, 04:06 PM

14,176 posts, read 22,646,137 times
Seems like Pittsburgh is attracting a who's-who of tech companies lately.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:07 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,078,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Seems like Pittsburgh is attracting a who's-who of tech companies lately.
Apple was already in the city at CMU's innovation center. They have been trying to expand their operations locally for some time now.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:52 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,751,812 times
Too bad they couldn't be lured to the arena site instead. I just don't know if there is going to be enough office demand left for that site to succeed.

Seems to me it would be preferential for the Strip to be a mix of residential, expanded food markets, specialty industries, and some nightlife.

Ahh well, maybe in a few years they would consider moving or expanding into the arena site.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:55 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,081,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Too bad they couldn't be lured to the arena site instead. I just don't know if there is going to be enough office demand left for that site to succeed.

Seems to me it would be preferential for the Strip to be a mix of residential, expanded food markets, specialty industries, and some nightlife.

Ahh well, maybe in a few years they would consider moving or expanding into the arena site.
Well, their lease at CMU was up a year ago, so I don't know that they could wait for the arena site to be developed.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Well, their lease at CMU was up a year ago, so I don't know that they could wait for the arena site to be developed.
Yeah, that probably was a factor. I don't see the Strip working as well as an extension of downtown, except the few blocks that are adjoining it. It is too far of a walk to the center of the city and feels cut off by overpasses and the geography of the Hill District. I hope that they can make the arena site feel more connected, but they are going to need lots of office demand to make it a lively area.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:55 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,078,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Yeah, that probably was a factor. I don't see the Strip working as well as an extension of downtown, except the few blocks that are adjoining it. It is too far of a walk to the center of the city and feels cut off by overpasses and the geography of the Hill District. I hope that they can make the arena site feel more connected, but they are going to need lots of office demand to make it a lively area.
Yeah, it may be too far a walk for most but it is far from being cut off from downtown. There is bike share now and a bike lane/trail so you don't have to walk. Also, once the AVRR plan comes to fruition you will be able to take rail transport between downtown and the strip.

It already feels much more connected to downtown than the arena site, which is literally completely cut off by highways.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Yeah, it may be too far a walk for most but it is far from being cut off from downtown. There is bike share now and a bike lane/trail so you don't have to walk. Also, once the AVRR plan comes to fruition you will be able to take rail transport between downtown and the strip.

It already feels much more connected to downtown than the arena site, which is literally completely cut off by highways.
Well, they are supposed to be doing a highway cap to connect the arena site to downtown. I was referring to Strip being too far for the avg office working joe to walk to the central area of downtown for lunch, shopping, etc. A few of them will have bikes but not that many. Maybe the bike share will help.

The arena site is much closer to the core of downtown than the Apple office will be (25th st.)

Old 06-13-2015, 06:45 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,866,817 times
Damn I really wanted Apple in EL ... Oh well the Strip works too .... Now lets see where Disney goes when comes out the CMU nest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh