Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 10:14 PM

395 posts, read 488,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Just because there are people there of ethnicities other than Scots Irish, it doesn't mean it isn't Appalachia.

Although, in the pic I posted, the kid whose name I remembered that lived back there definitely had a Scots Irish surname.
If the people there who aren't of Scotch-Irish background are a minority than OK yes that doesn't make it non-Appalachian but the majority would still have to be Scotch-Irish because Scotch-Irish is basically synonymous with the cultural definition of Appalachian. The people who are cultural Appalachians are the descendants of Scotch-Irish who came over here in the 1700s I think it was. You can look up about it on the internet. A book that goes into detail about it is Born Fighting by Jim Webb. There was also a documentary on the History channel a few years ago about it. It was hosted by Billy Ray Cyrus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 10:25 PM

395 posts, read 488,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I always thought that in the back of Westwood was pretty appalachian. Although when I was a young man, I heard back here referred to as "Dogpatch" which indicates most thought it was more like the Ozarks.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4347...!7i3328!8i1664
I never been to Westwood but I looked up about it on Wikipedia. What do you mean by the back of Westwood? The far Western edge of it or the far Southern part of it or...? I ask because once I get a car again I'd like to go there and do a little research on it's potential Scotch-Irish make up.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:57 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastad View Post
I never been to Westwood but I looked up about it on Wikipedia. What do you mean by the back of Westwood? The far Western edge of it or the far Southern part of it or...? I ask because once I get a car again I'd like to go there and do a little research on it's potential Scotch-Irish make up.
The far eastern part of the neighborhood, east of Behrens St. which was the Pittsburgh city limit when Westwood borough was annexed in the 1920's.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:40 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,100,231 times
I'm familiar with most of the Pittsburgh neighborhoods but the first time I entered Westwood I had one of those where the hell am I moments. It even has its own business district. I suspect it's one of those cop land neighborhoods.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:52 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
Since this thread has been bumped, I would like to know of some areas of Allegheny County that have that "holler" look to them as we would see deep into the Blue Ridge, or The Smokies, both part of the Appalachians. I know that Guys Run Road in Harmar has this feel. Let's keep it in Allegheny County because obviously less populated counties will have this look.
Eiseltown: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4122...7i13312!8i6656

Old 08-09-2015, 07:02 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
I'm familiar with most of the Pittsburgh neighborhoods but the first time I entered Westwood I had one of those where the hell am I moments. It even has its own business district. I suspect it's one of those cop land neighborhoods.
More firefighters than cops over there.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:13 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
In Appalachia, but not Appalachian.
So TRUE! Lived in Pittsburgh for 11 years with my parents both from Wise Co Virgina (you can't get more Appalachian than that with my Mom actually born in Appalachia VA) and myself from East TN.

Someone else mentioned that Beaver Co was uber Appalachian. Um, no. I spent a fair amount of time there and I disagree.

I know someone that actually hiked the entire Appalachian Trail and it was amazing to see the pictures really understand how long it really is! So, I can see why there might be disagreement on the definition.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:23 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
I love how there's all this supposed Appalachian culture here when:

A) It can't even be solidified in this topic on what it is exactly and how the burgh fits into it.

B) Pittsburghers themselves don't even acknowledge it .... I would love a "Jay on the Street" type camera-probe of people around Pittsburgh and ask them are you Appalachian? and watch their reactions. Most would look at the messenger like he had 3 heads. I myself born and raised here, have never heard a SOUL speak of an "Appalachian" culture until I found City-Data, then it was used just as a differentiator for the Burgh from the NEC cities to try and make the claim Pittsburgh isn't somehow NE because its not in the Corridor.

Leads me to ask how much of a Culture could it possibly be then?

Old 08-10-2015, 08:28 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I myself born and raised here, have never heard a SOUL speak of an "Appalachian" culture until I found City-Data, then it was used just as a differentiator for the Burgh from the NEC cities to try and make the claim Pittsburgh isn't somehow NE because its not in the Corridor.
Pittsburgh isn't Northeastern or Appalachian. It's Midwestern, obviously.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:43 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
I remember seeing a PBS special series called "The Appalachians," and Pittsburgh is not really it, although it's within the geographic guidelines set up by the Appalachian Regional Commission in the 60s. In fact, the boundaries go all the way up into New York state.

The documentary really gave a feel of the Appalachian culture with a heavy emphasis on the music, religion, food, towns and family life. It seemed more of a rural and small hamlet story rather than a big industrial city story, but I know a lot of people moved north toward Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Akron, and Cincinnati over the years for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh