Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 09:51 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I get a better vibe walking around Fineview and Troy Hill than I do Sharpsburg or Etna.
What is different between Troy Hill and Etna?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 10:50 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Etna, Sharpsburg, Millvale, etc. have more similarities than differences, when compared to Fineview and Troy Hill, etc. The main differences are that Troy Hill and Fineview are located within city limits, while Sharpsburg and Millvale have superior business districts. Let me also put a word in for Spring Garden and Spring Hill. Spring Hill, in particular, is a wonderful little neighborhood. Spring Garden has some blight, but also some great early Pittsburgh / Allegheny working class architecture! All of these neighborhoods are great. I just think SteelCityRising is biased in favor of city neighborhoods. Fineview is a bit more blighted than Sharpsburg and Millvale. There are quite a few vacant and decrepit homes up there. It's still a cool neighborhood, though!

Old 06-23-2015, 10:55 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Speaking of Spring Hill...

Old 06-23-2015, 10:56 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Etna, Sharpsburg, Millvale, etc. have more similarities than differences, when compared to Fineview and Troy Hill, etc. The main differences are that Troy Hill and Fineview are located within city limits, while Sharpsburg and Millvale have superior business districts. Let me also put a word in for Spring Garden and Spring Hill. Spring Hill, in particular, is a wonderful little neighborhood. Spring Garden has some blight, but also some great early Pittsburgh / Allegheny working class architecture! All of these neighborhoods are great. I just think SteelCityRising is biased in favor of city neighborhoods. Fineview is a bit more blighted than Sharpsburg and Millvale. There are quite a few vacant and decrepit homes up there. It's still a cool neighborhood, though!
Well said. Can't rep you again yet.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
As far as neighborhoods are concerned I LOVE Troy Hill and Fineview and have decided I would love to buy my first home in one of those two neighborhoods if I can't afford my own beloved Polish Hill. Both of those neighborhoods are safe, have much cheaper rents than the East End, and are still convenient to urban amenities. The school situation? I'll defer to Steindle, who lives there.
Do you realize how many times you've said this over the years, and how many different neighborhoods you've mentioned that you would "love" to buy a house in? And you still haven't done it. I hope you buy one soon. I'm rooting for you.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:03 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Do you realize how many times you've said this over the years, and how many different neighborhoods you've mentioned that you would "love" to buy a house in? And you still haven't done it. I hope you buy one soon. I'm rooting for you.
(START SOAPBOX)

With what money? Right now while working an average of 60 hours per week I have:

$2,500/month (net income from job + roommate income)
($700/month) for rent
($435/month) for car loan
($360/month) for gas (mostly for job, but it's not tax-deductible since I go with the mileage deduction)
($230/month) for student loans
($150/month) for utilities (less in summer; more in winter when heating bill can be $250/month alone)
($115/month) for car insurance and renter's insurance
($100/month) for credit cards
--------------
$410/month left for groceries, clothing, car maintenance, etc. I spend about $250/month on groceries/food alone (including ordering in a pizza or dining out cheaply once per week). I pay $16.95/month for Equifax credit monitoring. I MIGHT be able to save $100/month at present, but I tend to only temporarily set that aside for the likelihood of needing an oil change, new tire, new brakes, a birthday gift, etc. I typically end up charging Christmas gifts and major unexpected car repairs. I also end up charging the kennel for my partner's dog when we travel to visit family (very $$$).

All in all I'm spending nearly 100% of my income right now. I can't even afford health insurance because the Federal subsidy on the Marketplace for an individual who makes a gross income of $35,000/year is paltry and would still have me paying ~$200/month that I can't afford because, apparently, I'm rich. I had bad chest pains the other day and couldn't go to the ER because I couldn't afford it. Think about this the next time you stiff your food delivery driver (as has happened a TON lately).

All I can do is keep dreaming of someday affording a home while housing prices are rising steadily. I fantasize about the day when my car loan and student loans are simultaneously paid off in 2018, which I call the "fiscal cliff". Combined with having zero credit card debt at that time I'll have an extra ~$700/month in my budget. Assuming inflation, rising rents, etc. aren't drastic by that time I'll have the down payment and closing costs on my first home saved within a year after that "fiscal cliff". I'm also assuming I won't have any major health issue or a car accident by that time and that my car will survive for a few years after it's paid off.

I wish I knew how you earned your Bachelor's Degree debt-free. I worked nearly full-time through college and still had to take out almost $30,000 in student loans. What did you do for a living while you were in college that enabled you to pay for it in full if you don't mind my asking? I was making $11.50/hr. at the time.

(END SOAPBOX)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back on-topic, OP, you have quite a "wish list" for a rental and will certainly have to compromise. When I moved here in 2010 I was shocked that some rentals I looked at didn't even come with a refrigerator or a stove, as those were "luxuries". WHAT?! Most places didn't have a window A/C here when central air was pretty standard in most apartments where I moved here from---our summers are WAY too humid and muggy to not have air conditioning all summer, especially if you're not on the ground floor. Same with window treatments, where you better plan on buying blinds and curtains. Dishwasher? Ha! On-site laundry? Ha! Off-street parking? Ha! My landlady marketed a part of a curb-cut in a rear alley as being "off-street parking" when in reality anyone can legally park there, and often times people who live IN the alley are parked there. Pet-friendly? Good luck! We had to beg and tap-dance to bring our dog here. Do a basic CraigsList rental search. THEN click the box for "Dogs OK". BAM! Almost nothing left in the results, right?

Due to the rental crunch here there are a TON of slumlords who realize they can still get ~$800/month for a 1-BR in the East End for the absolute bare minimum and still have a revolving door of people wanting to rent the unit at the drop of a hat. I hate to be a doomer, but I think you're going to have to lower your expectations considerably if you want to find a rental at your price point within a reasonable commute. Even though we currently pay $700/month for a shabby unit I'm already anticipating having our rent increased to $800/month based upon the prestige of our neighborhood alone. There are TONS of apartments being built in the East End right now; however, they won't do anything to alleviate the rental crunch because they are exclusively going to be high-end buildings commanding 1-BR rents well over $1,000/month.

I'll reiterate that Pittsburgh is a much better bet to BUY a house. Renting here sucks, and since landlords know about the rental shortage here they have the upper hand over their tenants.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:17 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
What is different between Troy Hill and Etna?
Troy Hill is in the city proper. Like it or not, many of we transplants moving "to Pittsburgh" want to live IN Pittsburgh. I don't consider people living in Edgewood, Brentwood, McKees Rocks, Springdale, South Fayette Township, or, yes, even Etna for that matter, as being "Pittsburghers" anymore than Katiana (Katarina Witt?) could be called a Denverite when she lives in Louisville, CO. Psychologically it just isn't the same. If I can't vote for the next mayor, then what's the point? I always have to laugh at the online commentary from suburbanites, most of whom bash Mayor Peduto for taking space away from cars and giving it to bikes, as if anyone here in the city honestly cares that they hate bikes or as if their opinions are valid when they don't pay city taxes and don't vote in city elections. Likewise, I have no business telling Etnans how to conduct their affairs.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
(START SOAPBOX)

With what money? Right now while working an average of 60 hours per week I have:

$2,500/month (net income from job + roommate income)
($700/month) for rent
($435/month) for car loan
($360/month) for gas (mostly for job, but it's not tax-deductible since I go with the mileage deduction)
($230/month) for student loans
($150/month) for utilities (less in summer; more in winter when heating bill can be $250/month alone)
($115/month) for car insurance and renter's insurance
($100/month) for credit cards
--------------
$410/month left for groceries, clothing, car maintenance, etc. I spend about $250/month on groceries/food alone (including ordering in a pizza or dining out cheaply once per week). I pay $16.95/month for Equifax credit monitoring. I MIGHT be able to save $100/month at present, but I tend to only temporarily set that aside for the likelihood of needing an oil change, new tire, new brakes, a birthday gift, etc. I typically end up charging Christmas gifts and major unexpected car repairs. I also end up charging the kennel for my partner's dog when we travel to visit family (very $$$).

All in all I'm spending nearly 100% of my income right now. I can't even afford health insurance because the Federal subsidy on the Marketplace for an individual who makes a gross income of $35,000/year is paltry and would still have me paying ~$200/month that I can't afford because, apparently, I'm rich. I had bad chest pains the other day and couldn't go to the ER because I couldn't afford it. Think about this the next time you stiff your food delivery driver (as has happened a TON lately).

All I can do is keep dreaming of someday affording a home while housing prices are rising steadily. I fantasize about the day when my car loan and student loans are simultaneously paid off in 2018, which I call the "fiscal cliff". Combined with having zero credit card debt at that time I'll have an extra ~$700/month in my budget. Assuming inflation, rising rents, etc. aren't drastic by that time I'll have the down payment and closing costs on my first home saved within a year after that "fiscal cliff". I'm also assuming I won't have any major health issue or a car accident by that time and that my car will survive for a few years after it's paid off.
Looking at your income vs. budget, this is where I would make changes.

1.) Look for a better job, one that does not require you to spend $360 per month on gas. That's a potential mortgage payment.
2.) $435 per month for a car loan is steep. When I bought my new Galant in 2011, my credit was not very good, but I still managed to get a loan on it for $260 per month.
3.) $700 rent plus utilities is not cheap for someone with a limited income. I would look for a cheaper apartment, if possible, or perhaps something with utilities included. I remember my first apartment in Chalfant Boro was only $325 with utilities included. I don't think there are too many deals like that around, but there are cheap apartments to be found in the suburbs.

My parents paid for my bachelor's degree, and that helped me a lot. Although, to be honest, I could be making what I make now without a degree at all, just as you could be working your current job without a degree.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:25 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
($700/month) for rent
Doesn't your roommate pay $350?

Quote:
I typically end up charging Christmas gifts
How much do you spend? If it's a lot, buy cheaper gifts. I'm sure your family doesn't expect expensive gifts from someone as young as you are, or for you to go into debt over it.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:09 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,493 times
Quote:
Troy Hill is in the city proper. Like it or not, many of we transplants moving "to Pittsburgh" want to live IN Pittsburgh. I don't consider people living in Edgewood, Brentwood, McKees Rocks, Springdale, South Fayette Township, or, yes, even Etna for that matter, as being "Pittsburghers" anymore than Katiana (Katarina Witt?) could be called a Denverite when she lives in Louisville, CO. Psychologically it just isn't the same. If I can't vote for the next mayor, then what's the point? I always have to laugh at the online commentary from suburbanites, most of whom bash Mayor Peduto for taking space away from cars and giving it to bikes, as if anyone here in the city honestly cares that they hate bikes or as if their opinions are valid when they don't pay city taxes and don't vote in city elections. Likewise, I have no business telling Etnans how to conduct their affairs.
You said the vibe is different. Other than the knowledge that you're in a different municipality, and the fact that the street signs are different, what is the difference in vibe between the aforementioned neighborhoods and boroughs? Etna and Troy Hill feel very similar to me - Troy Hill just has a much better view in some places. Otherwise quite similar.
What is the difference in vibe?? I live in Etna and have spent time in Troy Hill.

As for the rest, I'm a transplant as well. And even if I were to reside in City limits, I would have zero input into City elections, as I'm a registered Republican - and let's face it, the Democratic primary is the only real election in the City. ;-)
It says Pittsburgh on my drivers license, I spend the majority of my waking hours within City limits, I can see the City from my bedroom window, and the overwhelming majority of my entertainment dollars are spent within the City. Though I can't vote in City elections, I feel quite confidant in saying I'm a Pittsburgher. Certainly describe myself as such when I go to visit Toronto or to visit my hometown. Psychologically it is the same to me, as I don't need to define my personal identity based on where I'm registered to vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising
I wish I knew how you earned your Bachelor's Degree debt-free.
Started at community college, joined the National Guard, attended a SSHE university while commuting from home while working every summer and using my GI Bill benefits, and challenged for credits by exam. BA degree, completed in 5 semesters, less than $10k out of pocket (books, fees, parking, etc, etc) and paid off in full about 2 years ago. :-) It IS possible, even in today's America (I'm 28 and finished my BA in 2009), not to be crippled by student debt - I'm grateful I didn't fall into that trap that I see so many of my friends stuck in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh