Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 04:59 AM

778 posts, read 839,965 times

Advertisements

Uh, just because one sits in an office does not mean one's boss is okay with chronic lateness.

Anyway, my daycare is on Main street and usually I just roll right over the Bloomfield bridge to Oakland. The problem is really the parking. I'd ditch my car any number of places, but it's all 2 hour parking and I can't leave my car there for 8 hours.

I'm sure I'll figure it out, but it's going to be a pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 05:41 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
Uh, just because one sits in an office does not mean one's boss is okay with chronic lateness.

Anyway, my daycare is on Main street and usually I just roll right over the Bloomfield bridge to Oakland. The problem is really the parking. I'd ditch my car any number of places, but it's all 2 hour parking and I can't leave my car there for 8 hours.

You should leave your car in Lawrenceville and have SCR take you on one of his delivery runs to work!

Old 06-24-2015, 07:57 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Everything points to the same solution, you need a new job, one with benefits that doesn't entail driving and tipping. You have a degree, it's time to put it to work and get a real job. Delivering food is a temporary job that people do for a few months until they can get a real job. It's not a career. It's time for you and your partner to begin careers and get out of these temporary, low paying, high driving, jobs.
what fetish do you have replying to all of SCR's posts with personal attacks? You're clearly some weird second account. mind your own business.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:06 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Everything points to the same solution, you need a new job, one with benefits that doesn't entail driving and tipping. You have a degree, it's time to put it to work and get a real job. Delivering food is a temporary job that people do for a few months until they can get a real job. It's not a career. It's time for you and your partner to begin careers and get out of these temporary, low paying, high driving, jobs.
I'm too busy and financially-stressed now to dedicate enough time for a thorough job hunt; however, I'm taking a few days off in July and plan to search for new work then. Ideally I could find something in the Strip, Oakland, Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, or Downtown, permitting me the luxury to walk to work so I could sell my car. It's always been a dream of mine to live sans car to reduce my carbon footprint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post

Eh. Sorry. Didn't mean to imply your job was "cushy" or "easy" or anything. It's more along the lines of many of these "new Pittsburgh" jobs being the types with more relaxed start/stop times. I know of many people who are able to adjust their weekly schedule accordingly, as long as they work their full obligated hours, to account for unexpected life events or what will be a year of incessant gridlock.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:29 AM

111 posts, read 114,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Also, for a project of such a large magnitude and scope, why was the one and only public information session scheduled today, AFTER the start date of the project (yesterday)? Apparently there wasn't even going to be a session at all until Councilwoman Deb Gross (District 7) stepped in. How could there not be any information provided by now? Why was tonight the first I've seen that rough timeframe when the work was supposed to start YESTERDAY. I have to prepare our fleet of delivery drivers accordingly for these routing changes, and our operators/dispatchers need to be to communicate longer projected delivery timeframes when necessary during this work. A little more of a "head's up" for affected stakeholders would have been appreciated.
Are you familiar with the closures on West Carson St. outbound? PennDOT closed off a major means of transportation for a sizeable chunk of the population west and northwest of Downtown, and thereby created a mess of rush hour traffic on the West End Circle and the McKees Rocks Bridge. This is a TWO YEAR closure, that's since ballooned to a THREE YEAR closure. The stated purpose was to replace one crumbling viaduct, which ballooned into a reconstructing of ALL of West Carson St.

The public was given a perfunctory information session, much like yours, about a week before work was to begin.

To make matters worse, while initial plans included bike lanes and other traffic calming measures, those measures were abandoned for a 35 MPH car-only freeway. A dedicated bike lane turned into half-hearted "sharrows".

So basically, what you witnessed was PennDOT S.O.P.

edit: Oh jeez, just saw you were already talking about this on Page 2!

Old 06-24-2015, 11:52 AM

145 posts, read 182,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleStraps View Post
Are you familiar with the closures on West Carson St. outbound? PennDOT closed off a major means of transportation for a sizeable chunk of the population west and northwest of Downtown, and thereby created a mess of rush hour traffic on the West End Circle and the McKees Rocks Bridge. This is a TWO YEAR closure, that's since ballooned to a THREE YEAR closure. The stated purpose was to replace one crumbling viaduct, which ballooned into a reconstructing of ALL of West Carson St.

The public was given a perfunctory information session, much like yours, about a week before work was to begin.
This is incorrect. The West Carson Street project was outlined to be a full roadway reconstruction from the start, including the viaduct replacement. The timeline and funding have been outlined for years in the TIP that's provided by PennDOT and various press releases prior to the closure that gave anyone who read it ample warning to prepare for what was coming.

Here's a hint, scan the TIP (it covers the next FOUR years) and pay attention to the yearly press releases that all of the major newspapers run outlining the work to be performed that construction season. The fact that you are so out of touch does not equate to the folks at PennDOT sitting around wondering how they can most effectively screw up your life.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:57 AM

Hilarious how SCR wants his neighborhood to be the poster child for complete streets and pedestrian infrastructure, yet the rest of the city and it's neighborhoods should be his own personal speedway to deliver food. If we are seriously so worried about pedestrians crossing Bigelow that we should be slamming on the brakes in 60 mph traffic to let them pass, we should also be considering how best to implement crosswalks on McArdle Roadway as well, since apparently people crossing streets that hug the side of a cliff is such a pressing issue that needs to be addressed in this city. Every time I go down Bigelow I am just amazed at the pedestrian traffic, it puts Schenley Park to shame. Definitely more crosswalks for Bigelow and maybe a bike/ped lane for the Polish Hill residents who want a safe way to get to (and cross) the Veteran's Bridge.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:00 PM

111 posts, read 114,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMcKelvin View Post
This is incorrect. The West Carson Street project was outlined to be a full roadway reconstruction from the start, including the viaduct replacement. The timeline and funding have been outlined for years in the TIP that's provided by PennDOT and various press releases prior to the closure that gave anyone who read it ample warning to prepare for what was coming.

Here's a hint, scan the TIP (it covers the next FOUR years) and pay attention to the yearly press releases that all of the major newspapers run outlining the work to be performed that construction season. The fact that you are so out of touch does not equate to the folks at PennDOT sitting around wondering how they can most effectively screw up your life.
What's the "TIP", where do I find it, and would you expect the reasonable affected resident to be familiar with it?

So, I did a Google Search for "West Carson", and found a couple news articles covering the press release for the West Carson St. project, dated March 2, 2013. There were no articles on the construction from 2010 to 2013. Here's one: http://triblive.com/neighborhoods/yo...#axzz3e0LH6uXh. Relevant bit:

"Other projects in Allegheny County include continued work in the Squirrel Hill and Liberty tunnels, replacement of the West Carson Street Viaduct and improvements along Route 19 in the North Hills.

The West Carson Street Viaduct project, expected to cost up to $45 million, will result in “significant” detours for northbound traffic and affect outbound traffic on the Port Authority's West Busway, Cessna said."

Well, okay. That's kinda helpful, I guess. Surely there are a few more hits for "West Carson" before construction started, right? Fast forward to July 16, 2013, and we have a few articles along these same lines: http://www.post-gazette.com/news/tra...s/201307160127. Two years of construction starting in August of that year. Public meeting scheduled for July 24. And hey, here's PennDOT's press release! Dated July 18, 2013, discussing a July 29 construction start date.

That's all I found. Now here we are in 2015, staring at a late 2016 end date... maybe.

The most important thing here is that I'm annoyed by traffic, no matter what the cause. And I WILL find a scapegoat.

Last edited by DoubleStraps; 06-24-2015 at 12:35 PM..

Old 06-26-2015, 07:30 AM

http://www.talkpatransportation.com/...ary%5B1%5D.pdf

Old 06-26-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Kinda like people speed thru Schenley Park near the pool....
The Deadly Scajaquada Expressway Slices Through an Olmsted Park in Buffalo - CityLab

One day we will be reading about a story like that in Schenley...something about how the child shouldn't have been jaywalking when there's a customer in Greenfield waiting on his Fuel and Fuddle delivery and won't tip well if it's 2 minutes late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh