Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 07:10 PM

524 posts, read 1,036,026 times

Advertisements

Brookline would be my first choice, given what you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 09:10 AM

618 posts, read 691,892 times
Brookline, Beechview and Mt. Washington would all be excellent choices, given what you are looking for.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:14 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlw820 View Post
Thanks for the info; the southside felt too urban/busy for me; at least the parts I saw. It's cool and I definitely would like to shop, eat, explore there, but I'm looking for a bit more quiet kind of neighborhood. Price range for rental I am looking at $1,000-$1,400, depending on the place/neighborhood. I need a place that accepts cats and provides parking and in-unit laundry. I'd prefer something older with some character. A safe part of town where I can go for walks in the neighborhood; I'd like some outdoor space like a yard or patio/deck/porch. I don't want to be too close to the universities; I'd prefer an area with more single-family homes or duplexes than a place with lots of multi-unit apartment buildings.

One of my soon-to-be-coworkers suggested Mount Washington as well. I will check out some of those other areas as well. Thanks for the suggestion of property management companies; I have been doing the Craigslist thing as well. Being new to the area it would be easier if someone could take me around, which was the idea behind a realtor or similar.

Again, I had a two-hour tour of the area, so my knowledge at this point is very limited.
Point Breeze is very nice. I lived there for a bit in an apartment. Not easy to find an apartment there though.

I would try Aspinwall too. Mostly single family homes these days but there are still some apartments. A complex there is called River Oaks. It is really a townhouse complex. Regent Square is also pretty quiet with a lot of single family homes and some apartments.

In unit laundry might be tough in some of the older apartments.

Good Luck and welcome to the Burgh.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:18 PM

19 posts, read 16,297 times
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! I will check all of these out. Right now I'm not seeing many options in Brookline, Beechview or Mt. Washington but I'll keep looking.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:28 PM

112 posts, read 161,611 times
Hopefully its ok for me to do this.. I've actually got a house up for rent in the Dormont area of pittsburgh. Dormont is an awesome little place. There is walkable access to the trolley line and bars and restaurants are walkable as well. You can get to downtown in less than 10 minutes, and can easily access anywhere from this section of town. The price is a little higher than what you were looking for but I may be able to work with you.
https://www.coldwellbanker.com/prope...16-MLS-1054966

Old 06-29-2015, 12:30 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
Brookline has a very high level of owner-occupied housing. Very few apt buildings and a few single family homes that have been split into two apts. Keep looking they turn up every once in a while...

Old 06-29-2015, 12:38 PM

19 posts, read 16,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Brookline has a very high level of owner-occupied housing. Very few apt buildings and a few single family homes that have been split into two apts. Keep looking they turn up every once in a while...
I will, thanks! I will be in town next Monday & Tuesday; thinking I just need to rent a car and do some driving myself, rather than trying to find someone to serve as a driver/tour guide. LOL!

Old 06-30-2015, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 453 times
Add Dormont to the south hills list (next community south of Brookline/Beechview).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh