Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 08:25 AM

8 posts, read 14,894 times

Advertisements

WOOHOO!!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 08:32 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmoelen View Post
Another question: What would you suggest would be an easy way to get to East of Aspinwall from Shadyside?
Here is how I would do it (edit: note that people from Pittsburgh usually qualify their directions like this, because everyone has different ways of getting between neighborhoods). From Shadyside you could get over to the "Blue Belt", also known in that area as Route 8, and also known as Washington Boulevard. Either of the two major streets that form the North and South borders of Shadyside (Baum and 5th Avenue respectively) would take you over that way. Once you are on the Blue Belt heading north, it takes you up to the Allegheny River, and a quick jog to the West takes you to the Highland Park Bridge, which takes you over to Aspinwall.

I used to do this drive a lot back when I lived in Shadyside, to get over to the Waterworks Mall (just East of Aspinwall) for shopping and movies. With no real traffic, it does take only 10-15 minutes. But I gather the traffic getting onto the Highland Park Bridge can back up during commuting times, so I can't really speak to that.

There is also a bus that goes over that direction (the 500), which has limited service to Aspinwall. I just checked a schedule, and it says there are things like a bus that picks up at 8:17 in Shadyside and drops off at the Waterworks Mall (which again is just East of Aspinwall) at 8:36. There are subsequent morning pickups at 8:45, 9:22, and 10:37. It looks like it runs less often on the other side, however: after 3:16 the next one picking up at Waterworks is 6:53 (getting to Shadyside at 7:15), then 7:53, 9:14, etc.

Anyway, it certainly isn't far by the standards of the commutes in most cities. But if you wanted to split the difference, you could live in Highland Park. Highland Park is not exactly a hot spot, but it is right across the bridge from Aspinwall, and in turn it very quick from there into Shadyside (and even closer to the developing area in East Liberty).

Old 01-23-2008, 08:56 AM

511 posts, read 1,937,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I used to do this drive a lot back when I lived in Shadyside, to get over to the Waterworks Mall (just East of Aspinwall) for shopping and movies. With no real traffic, it does take only 10-15 minutes. But I gather the traffic getting onto the Highland Park Bridge can back up during commuting times, so I can't really speak to that.
When I first moved into Shadyside, I Mapquested the same trip, and it had me go up Negley to Center, Center to Highland, Highland to East Liberty Blvd, East Liberty Blvd to Negley Run Blvd, Left on to Route 8 and then across the bridge. We just happened to be out looking for apartments ourself one night and I find that using Negley all the way to the end is the easiest and most straight shot from Shadyside. It all takes you to the same place.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:55 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,965,362 times
I've found MapQuest to be less than useless in Pittsburgh. There are just too many variations with the layout of the city (hills, rivers, city steps that are counted as streets, etc) Get a good map and keep it in the car. I've lived here 25 years and still use it when I'm in unfamiliar territory.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:44 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwscottie View Post
When I first moved into Shadyside, I Mapquested the same trip, and it had me go up Negley to Center, Center to Highland, Highland to East Liberty Blvd, East Liberty Blvd to Negley Run Blvd, Left on to Route 8 and then across the bridge. We just happened to be out looking for apartments ourself one night and I find that using Negley all the way to the end is the easiest and most straight shot from Shadyside. It all takes you to the same place.
That is a variation on the way I was suggesting, but I prefer either using Baum (instead of Centre) to get to Penn Circle and then to Negley Run, or just taking 5th Avenue over, which becomes the Blue Belt/Route 8 at Penn and curves around onto Washington.

The way you are recommending is definitely straighter and shorter. The only reason I preferred my way is that once you get to Route 8, it is very quick. But either works.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:17 PM

269 posts, read 1,010,581 times
Wow. Coming from AZ to Pittsburgh. Expect everything to be 100% different. Not just the weather. The scenery, the people, everything. Total life change.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:52 AM

Thanks for all the recommendations! In the words of my oldest daughter (who is terrified for her younger sister) "She's going to die! She doesn't have the sense God gave to a potato" Anyway - We will look into Shadyside and Highland Park!

Old 01-25-2008, 09:11 AM

Default Thanks for the posts!

One poster remarked about the total life chenge....could you give some ideas about food costs, heating/cooling, gas, etc. and also the people and 'ways'? Here in Phx, it is so spread out we are all concerned about our own neighborhoods. That being said, no-one really knows there neighbors. We are on a 'waving' relationship with several, and are friends with the next door neighbors but that is it. Is it different there?

Also, some friends of my daughter are looking in Highland Park for an apartment for her. Is there a specific area to stay out of?

As you can see, we are totally in the dark about things "back east"! Any help would be appreciated. We are looking at craigslist.com for places and also doing some research on the net. She has sent off for a Pennsylvania guide and is expecting it soon. Any other suggestions?
Thanks!

Old 01-25-2008, 10:48 AM

809 posts, read 2,409,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmoelen View Post
One poster remarked about the total life chenge....could you give some ideas about food costs, heating/cooling, gas, etc. and also the people and 'ways'? Here in Phx, it is so spread out we are all concerned about our own neighborhoods. That being said, no-one really knows there neighbors. We are on a 'waving' relationship with several, and are friends with the next door neighbors but that is it. Is it different there?
!
People are very 'real' in Pittsburgh. It's not like southern hospitality where they'll be nice to your face and (stereotypically) mean behind your back, or out west where (again, stereotypically) everyone wants to be a movie star. If you're nice to them they'll be friendly and cordial back, with no pretense or fakery. Pittsburghers are well read (top 10 most literate metros) and not too uptight about things. Also, the NFL is king here and the Steelers are a local religion.

If she lives in Shadyside she'll be able to walk to many stores, shops and bars, unlike what Phoenix is like. She'll be surrounded by a lot of university grad students and hopefully have a good time. It's a really nice, safe place.

The weather is going to be cold during winter. Hopefully she has a nice jacket. Summers are great here (imho). Yes, it can be gray at times, but it just makes the sunny days seem so glorious with the rivers and hillsides as scenery. It's not flat, dry, and hot 100% of the time like Phoenix.

Housing is inexpensive, and if she gets a bus pass she won't need to drive as much and use up expensive gas. The bus system is quite extensive inside the city limits.

Good luck on her move.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:05 AM

Oh, Thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh