Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 07:17 PM

129 posts, read 160,748 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for your feedback's.

A few of you have commented that you'd leave a small amount of tip, if picking up from a "real" restaurant.
Nothing wrong w/ that, since I too, almost feel there may be a need to do that, which is why I created this thread.

However, why do we feel more inclined to tip for someone at a nicer place, I wonder?
If I were to pick up from a Chinese place, or pizza joint, someone also needs to get the food from kitchen, and box it up nicely, which is the same if I were to get take-out from Applebee's, or Outbacks.

Why the double standard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 07:22 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
I tip most everywhere...but always the bartender.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:23 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
When a server is involved in my carry out order I give a small tip.
Same here. Not the usual 20 or more percent for a takeout, but a few bucks for their time. Being a bartender/waitstaff person isn't easy. Now if they give bad service or are too busy texting. Tip equals zero. I don't tip texting waitstaff anymore. They must be able to afford not to work while at work, so I don't feel obligated.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:39 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
I tip a small amount for takeout at a restaurant that has servers, as they will often be the ones who wait on you. Pizza joints and such, only if it's a large order. Tipping for a slice of pizza? NEVER!

Old 07-05-2015, 10:58 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times
Quote:

However, why do we feel more inclined to tip for someone at a nicer place, I
wonder?
If I were to pick up from a Chinese place, or pizza joint, someone
also needs to get the food from kitchen, and box it up nicely, which is the same
if I were to get take-out from Applebee's, or Outbacks.

Why the double standard?
Because, presumably, at the Chinese place or pizza joint, the "counterperson" (for lack of a better term), is getting paid an amount per hour that doesn't depend on the tipping portion to make it worthwhile. That's not true of servers, or, as I'm sure SCR will be along to point out, people like delivery drivers.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:28 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
That's not true of servers, or, as I'm sure SCR will be along to point out, people like delivery drivers.
I've learned many people in Pittsburgh are actually quite ignorant when it comes to the topic of tipping service personnel, especially delivery drivers. Should you be expected to tip the UPS guy, FedEX guy, mail man (besides Christmas), or a person delivering you a gift basket, floral arrangement, or fruit bouquet? No. Why? All of these people accepted these positions knowing that gratuities weren't customary and earn a livable hourly wage (while making just $10/hr. driving for Edible Arrangements I still never expected a tip).

On the other hand now that I'm a restaurant delivery driver who only earns $3 per order---no hourly wage; no mileage reimbursement; no fuel reimbursement; etc.---I'm aghast at how many people don't tip because they think a "delivery fee" is "the driver's pay". No. No. No. A delivery fee is what the company charges to provide the service. The delivery fee isn't "the tip". I think Pizza Hut charges $2 per delivery, and that DOES go to the driver, but if you're ever in doubt about a service fee/delivery fee it would be most appropriate to ask upon ordering from an establishment how much, if any, of that fee goes to your driver instead of just assuming it all goes to them as most people seem to do.

I also don't understand why most Pittsburghers tip servers 20% (or more) for good service at a restaurant and 10% (or less) for good service for delivery drivers. Often times we wait at the restaurant; prep some sides; check the order; package the order; and then transport the order across town in heavy traffic and/or inclement weather in our own vehicles which incur wear-and-tear. I have friends who are servers, and to imply that they deserve twice what I make as they walk from the kitchen to your table three times during dinner to check on you, refill water, remove dirty dishes, etc. is insulting. They're making $3/hour and rely on tips to make their living. Did you ever stop to consider many delivery drivers ALSO make less than minimum wage and rely on tips to make their living? Because I'm an independent contractor there have been shifts I've made less than minimum wage once I accounted for gasoline, taxes, and mileage. The whole "take it up with your boss; not my responsibility to make sure to tip so you make minimum wage" argument is a cop-out used by selfish individuals who think everyone can just easily keep job-hopping UP the ladder, as they can. We're all born into different levels of intellectual privilege. Some on here earn six-figures and have never found it difficult to find lucrative work after college. Others have struggled for years and continue to do so.

The fact that some people in this thread think you shouldn't be expected to tip ANYTHING for a take-out order is mind-numbing. I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'm one of the poorest people who post on here due to my intellectual disability making me nearly unemployable, yet I always tip 20% to servers at restaurants, to food delivery drivers, and to whomever has prepared my take-out order. If you can't afford to tip 20% for good service, then you can't afford to dine out or order in. Period. End of discussion. It's not "cute" to fake ignorance about tipping if you've grown up in this country, where you should have been taught by your parents at a young age that tipping in the food/beverage/hospitality services industry is CUSTOMARY.

Also, tip your delivery a minimum of $5 for good service. I don't care if you just had a $7.99 meatball sub delivered from Oakland to your office in Bloomfield. Tipping $0.80 or $1.60 is insulting when gas prices in Pittsburgh are among the highest in the nation. The same policy goes for dining out. If we're at Ritter's and end up with a sub-$20 tab for breakfast, I still leave a $5 bill as tip for good service.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:46 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm aghast at how many people don't tip because they think a "delivery fee" is "the driver's pay". No. No. No. A delivery fee is what the company charges to provide the service. The delivery fee isn't "the tip". I think Pizza Hut charges $2 per delivery, and that DOES go to the driver
How are you aghast by this? You give a great example of how confusing companies make this by not all following the same standard regarding delivery fees.

Quote:
Also, tip your delivery a minimum of $5 for good service. I don't care if you just had a $7.99 meatball sub delivered from Oakland to your office in Bloomfield.
You've got to be kidding. That's fine if that's your personal rule, but it's extreme for it to be a general rule for everyone for all orders. I figure $1 minimum for drinks (coffee, alcohol), $2 minimum for a <$10 lunch delivery (Jimmy John's for example, since they are also bringing orders for other people in the building), and $3 or 10-20% minimum for dinner bills above $10. On the rare occasion I order pizza or chinese delivery I tip between $3-$6, with the biggest factor honestly being how many ones I have in my wallet.

You really think a $8 sub should become a $15 sub after a tip and $2 delivery fee? If you think a $5 minimum should be seen as a requirement, then why not just add it as a required delivery fee that goes to the driver? Tipping customs in the US are an illogical pain in the rear.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
How are you aghast by this? You give a great example of how confusing companies make this by not all following the same standard regarding delivery fees.
If there's any confusion about where a delivery fee goes, then by all means feel free to inquire upon ordering. If you then disagree with the business's fee dissemination structure among staff, then feel free to order elsewhere. It's that simple. You don't place an order knowing in advance the fee will absorb all of your money and leave you with little or nothing to tip. If I order from somewhere that charges a delivery fee and then find out none of the fee goes to the driver, I don't then turn around and stiff the driver "because the fee SHOULD go to you..." How does hurting the driver help justify your position?

I don't shop at Walmart because I don't understand why they choose to pay their employees so poorly overall when other big-box chains with smaller annual profits (i.e. Target, Lowe's, Home Depot, Whole Foods, Costco, Barnes & Noble, Best Buy, etc.) are well-known for paying their employees handsomely. If and when Walmart ups their ante I may consider patronizing them in the future. Until that point in time I don't spend one dime there. Feel free to do the same by not ordering from an establishment that would require you to tip appropriately for your service worker to earn a living wage.

Quote:
You've got to be kidding. That's fine if that's your personal rule, but it's extreme for it to be a general rule for everyone for all orders. I figure $1 minimum for drinks (coffee, alcohol), $2 minimum for a <$10 lunch delivery (Jimmy John's for example, since they are also bringing orders for other people in the building), and $3 or 10-20% minimum for dinner bills above $10. On the rare occasion I order pizza or chinese delivery I tip between $3-$6, with the biggest factor honestly being how many ones I have in my wallet.
So you're going to tip 10% ($0.80) on an $8 sandwich delivery when the driver will likely spend almost that much on gasoline and deprecation/maintenance on their vehicle delivering it to you? You only tip your bartender $1? What sort of service does that net you? Do you tip your baristas? You tip your food delivery drivers in the evening as little as $3?

I hate to break it to you, but Pittsburgh isn't a "cheap" place to live anymore. We haven't been in at least a decade.

Quote:
You really think a $8 sub should become a $15 sub after a tip and $2 delivery fee? If you think a $5 minimum should be seen as a requirement, then why not just add it as a required delivery fee that goes to the driver? Tipping customs in the US are an illogical pain in the rear.
If you have a problem with an excessive delivery fee then you take that up with the ownership of that establishment---not take it out on the service workers employed there. I've been stiffed so many times after providing exemplary customer service and delivering food in less than half the quoted estimated delivery time because "your delivery fee is too expensive, so I can't tip you". So, my boss makes too much money, and, therefore, you're going to take it out on me instead of him? Really?

Every multi-restaurant delivery service in town charges a base fee of $5-$6, and most of that doesn't go to the driver. If you think you're justified in not tipping appropriately because "your delivery fee should include your tip, and if it doesn't, then too bad for you", then do us a favor and don't order.

My partner makes less than I do and just tipped $8 for a pizza because it arrived in 15 minutes, and the driver was friendly. Otherwise $6 is our minimum tip for pizza delivery. I don't understand Pittsburghers' aversion to tipping appropriately.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooky01 View Post
Why the double standard?
I'm still awaiting an answer for these double-standards.

"I tip 20% for pick-up at a nicer place but 10% for pick-up at a less nice place..."

^ Translation? The people at the fancier place work twice as hard to earn their living as the people employed by the less fancy place? Are you people for real? Some of the most industrious people I've seen are those running around feverishly at small family-owned joints, often ethnic in nature, while many (not all) servers I see in "nicer" places spend plenty of time texting and gabbing while my water glass has needed a refill for 10 minutes.

"I tip my server 20% for adequate service and my food delivery driver 10% for good service..."

^ Translation? A mediocre server is worth twice the price to you as a good delivery driver? How does that make any sense?

Old 07-06-2015, 08:21 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
All of that is very confusing. You should take your pay, gratuity, fee issues up with your boss. Then you wouldn't have to have so many issues with customers and your job. You're taking out your issues on the customer who has no idea what is protocol for your business. I've never heard of a food delivery operation as you're describing and I'm sure most everyone else hasn't either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh