Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 05:25 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times

Advertisements

Well we just marked our third year anniversary here. We moved from Long Island after living there for over 25 years, and came from Ireland almost 30 years ago.
Its been a wonderful experience. We are still here, still having fun and still doing fine. Our kids have absolutely thrived and if that's the only thing we ever get out of our move here, its been worth every single penny. They have had two state football championships, one outstanding wrestler award, one cadet of the year award for sea cadets, and awesome friends.
I have had two jobs and am currently on the second for a year now. Its a great job, flexible hours, wonderful people. My husband was not as lucky, was out of work for a total of 2 years, commuted to Youngstown, Ohio for 10 months, went back to school for his CDL and is currently working 15 minutes from home and is home every night. Hopefully his luck will continue and he can stay there for a good while.
I have found in Pittsburgh the best people. They are awesome, sarcastic, heartwarming, hard working people. One will not get rich, or earn the same money as New York. However, you will find an affordable life, less stress and more living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 01:39 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,665 times
Good news, glad to hear it! Thanks for sharing and continued best of luck!

Old 07-06-2015, 01:54 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
So happy you are thriving here! Just like your husband I, too, have struggled here professionally, but every other facet of my life has improved immensely since relocating here in 2010 from Virginia. The overall level of stress is lower here than in many other major metropolitan areas. I feel like those of us who have moved here since 2010---you, me, Goodjules, gortonator, etc.---have had it better than most because the region has arguably been on its steepest upswing in decades since then. South Fayette is a great community with above-average schools. Once Newbury Marketplace is completed you'll have more convenient shopping options, too. I would hate to drive into the city from where you live, but since you (and BurghGirl) have commuted Downtown for a while I'm guessing it might not be as congested as I've imagined.

I appreciate that the "keeping up with the Jones's" aura is less overwhelming here than where I moved from.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:11 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times
Glad you still are happy here, okaydorothy. It will be three years for me as well in Dec. I miss having my daughter close by and miss my friends and family back in CA. Just got back from a wonderful vacation there so I'm feeling nostalgic. Plus I much prefer Bay Area summer weather to Pittsburgh summers. That said, I could never have considered a home in the Bay Area anything like the one I have here. I've made friends, my son is here, and I have super nice neighbors - all old house lovers like me. Don't miss the rat race or the income disparities you have in the Bay Area. I feel there are opportunities here I would have never had in the Bay Area. OTOH, I don't think I've fully accepted that unless I win the lottery or marry money I will never be able to live in the city where I grew up. It still makes me mad. Nothing against Pittsburgh, it's just that I don't like feeling that I was forced out of a place I loved by circumstances beyond my control. Most of the time I'm happy to be starting over in a new place at mid-life. It's just that my vacation made it very clear that the people I am closest to live across the country. I know that's going to change as my friends retire and my daughter wants to buy a house. I'm sure that many friends will cash out of their Bay Area homes and move to less expensive areas. And my daughter and her friends will have to leave the area to buy their first homes.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:06 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
Goodjules ; I too, just got back from a weekend in New York where I met a few of my oldest friends. Yes, I miss them a lot. I also would never ever be able to move back there and honestly I would not want to pay the huge taxes. But I do miss my friends a lot.

Its ok. Its all good.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:40 AM

479 posts, read 1,236,855 times
Totally relate to you, Goodjules and okaydorothy. You always miss the place where you grow up and have the most ties. I moved to CA when I was a bit younger though, so I have made many friends out here, as well as the ones still back in Pittsburgh. One thing Pittsburgh has always been pretty affordable. It's sad when people can't stay in the area where they would prefer to live because it's too expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh