Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 03:28 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,046 times

Advertisements

Took advantage of the rare, sunny weather this weekend. Started up near McConnell's Mill/Moraine. Some would argue they are some of the nicest parks in western Pa. Drove down Route 19, following the little George Washington heads. Lush, beautiful farmland. Rolling hills. Farm stands. Magnificent. Reminded me of New England. Drove through Zelienpole and Harmony. Historic main streets, felt like I was in a painting. All of a sudden I see a tiny, little sign: "Welcome to Cranberry"👎. Land flattened out, strip malls everywhere, traffic pouring in from every direction. I was so depressed I turned left back on the interstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 03:41 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Those areas are nice. It's nice only being 10-30 minutes away from them.

You didn't need to turn left to go the interstate. You were less than a mile from the Allegheny Cahnty line...but the interstate is convenient. Looking forward to the hov lane stretching out to here.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:38 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
Yes, that is why the area has earned the nickname, Soulless Cranberry. Unfortunately, the growth is now spreading up to Zelienople and beyond. In another 5 years, those towns will be surrounded by sprawl. Land is being bought up and developments are in the process of going up.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Yes, that is why the area has earned the nickname, Soulless Cranberry. Unfortunately, the growth is now spreading up to Zelienople and beyond.
Never heard that term except for here. Funny stuff.

Oh yeah. Serious projects going on in Jackson Twp. I expect the construction to continue there and beyond. Huge development going on, on Glen Eden Rd. Even bigger than what I expected. I expect farmers to keep selling, developers to keep building and people to keep buying.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:48 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Never heard that term except for here. Funny stuff.

Oh yeah. Serious projects going on in Jackson Twp. I expect the construction to continue there and beyond. Huge development going on, on Glen Eden Rd. Even bigger than what I expected. I expect farmers to keep selling, developers to keep building and people to keep buying.
At some point the growth will bottom out. 79 is horrendous in the winter. There is only so far people will commute. Besides, most people I know hate or grow to hate Southern Butler County.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
At some point the growth will bottom out. 79 is horrendous in the winter. There is only so far people will commute. Besides, most people I know hate or grow to hate Southern Butler County.
I don't find any of that to be the case unless it's a sudden snowstorm.

I don't know barely anybody that feels that way after 15+ years here. The more people I talked to before I moved to Cranberry and after I moved here are like myself and would never consider moving back to Allegheny Cahnty.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:57 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,478 times
Also, with companies like Westinghouse having a big presence in Cranberry, it's not like the commute from Cranberry needs to be a long drive on 79. All of my friends that live in Cranberry are engineers and employed by Westinghouse.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:04 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I don't find any of that to be the case unless it's a sudden snowstorm.

I don't know barely anybody that feels that way after 15+ years here. The more people I talked to before I moved to Cranberry and after I moved here are like myself and would never consider moving back to Allegheny Cahnty.

Getting up to Portersville or North, yeah it does get bad

edit--still like it up there though. McConnells Mill is one of my favorite places anywhere.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:08 PM

I expect the more sprawl/population, the better the snow removal will be. It all goes hand in hand.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:15 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times
You're getting into lake effect though. Still, more money=more plows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh