Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 12:23 PM

994 posts, read 901,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
So is this transportation you're suggesting free to ride?
Is it free to ride in other cities with efficient and effective metro systems supporting strong downtown retail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 12:26 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
If it hasn't already been done, someone should start a 'Buy Pittsburgh' website with ads and links to locally run online businesses.
Pittsburghbuylocal.com

Also has links to reasons you should buy local - really local, not Macys - like the vendors pouring 80% of proceeds back into the local economy, not 15%.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:28 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
Is it free to ride in other cities with efficient and effective metro systems supporting strong downtown retail?
That's what I thought. Expecting/wanting a free ride.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:30 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
The problem is the lack of an efficient transportation system. .
While Pittsburgh's mass transit leaves a lot to be desired, its configuration is basically hub-spoke. It may not be easy to get around the city, it's pretty easy to get downtown from just about any neighborhood.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:30 PM

994 posts, read 901,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
That's what I thought. Wanting a free ride.
What are you talking about?

Old 07-14-2015, 12:33 PM

912 posts, read 1,732,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
I too mourn the end of big downtown department stores. But I'm excited about the potential for that space. I'm hoping for innovative retail that would be unique to downtown. The parade will probably find other sponsors.

My unsolicited advice to you is to look at the potential good that can come from any change. I'm not saying to overlook the bad, but you do tend to dwell on the worst possible outcomes. Force yourself to see the positives too. It's a given that Macy's is leaving so I challenge you to post about what you think would be the ideal use of that location. Something you think would suit the location and the people most likely to use it.
This. It's not like the building will sit vacant for years. There's already a buyer in place with plans for something that I think will be more beneficial to downtown and the city than Macys.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:38 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
What are you talking about?
Are you expecting the city to pay the bill for your proposed transportation?

Old 07-14-2015, 12:39 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
This. It's not like the building will sit vacant for years. There's already a buyer in place with plans for something that I think will be more beneficial to downtown and the city than Macys.
Quote:
Core realty owner Michael Samschick said even he was surprised at Macy's decision to close the store. But its planned departure has since opened other opportunities.
“At first, we were a little sad and taken aback because Macy's was a part of this iconic building,” he said. “Since then, we are blown away by the amount of response from retailers who are calling us in reference to being a part of this location.” ...Core is “100 percent committed” to keeping retail on at least the first two — and perhaps the bottom four — levels, Samschick said. He said he has been contacted by a variety of retailers spanning women's fashion to entertainment, although he declined to name them...Indeed, the clock will stay, Samschick said. Core, which is seeking $10 million in state funding to redevelop the building, is pursuing National Historic Landmark status and expects to preserve interior and exterior features, such as the building's large 19th-century windows. ..
Macy's announces its plans to close Downtown Pittsburgh store | TribLIVE

Old 07-14-2015, 12:42 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times
That sounds really promising!

Old 07-14-2015, 12:57 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Only if the bottom drops out of demand for core real estate. Drone delivery will be more easily accomplished from warehouses in areas of low land prices. Drone transpot is cheap. Facility and labor aren't.
Yes, but my point is what brick and mortar retail needs in order to survive now (and even moreso in the future) is to present shopping as a unique, pleasurable experience in and of itself. Urban retail has an advantage with this for a number of reasons. People who are out walking when they could be driving are already recreating, for example. More than that, to the extent urban retail continues to have independent boutiques (or at least smaller-scale chains with unique items) it will have a certain appeal that strip malls do not. In addition, it's just a lot easier to impulsively walk into an urban boutique if you happen to be walking by. Reaction times are usually slow enough that people will not pull into a strip mall immediately even if they see something which intrigues them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh