Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2015, 09:15 AM

912 posts, read 1,732,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I think I just don't fit in with today's society. I don't know who they think are going to fill these 300 yuppie apartments in the former Macy's when those people are going to have literally nearly ZERO retail options within walking distance. Why not just live in the South Side Flats and/or Shadyside (for less money) AND be near plentiful retail along with what Downtown already has---galleries; restaurants; bars; and workplaces?
You said it yourself. There is way less emphasis on brick-and-mortar stores. The people who will move into these new apartments have different priorities than you. They most likely do most of their shopping online, so there isn't much need to be within walking distance of a Macys or H&M or Forever 21, etc. The would rather be within walking distance of market square, the cultural district, their offices, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 09:16 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I actually find it aesthetically-pleasing. I just think if people in Cranberry Township yearned for a taste of a traditional "town center" they should instead look to spend more dollars in Downtown Mars and Downtown Zelienople and help both of those two pre-existing, historic, and very handsome business districts flourish and expand. For some reason we're very averse in this region to wanting to expand existing street grids and instead want to put cul-de-sac neighborhoods right up to the edge of these areas so they are "landlocked". Even in the city proper I'm quite disappointed from a connectivity standpoint that the newest phase of the massive Summerset at Frick Park developement will abut/adjoin the dead-end streets in Swisshelm Park but will not align up with the existing street grid there "cuz traffic means kids will have to play in our huge yard instead of in the middle of the street".
Planning regulations make the option you are
advocating impossible.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:17 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,965,362 times
I've never bought clothes online. I need to see it, feel it and try it on. And I don't want to be messing with packing and mailing if it doesn't fit. Too much of a hassle. Plus I like the pleasure of getting out and shopping for things. I already spend too much time on the computer and phone. It's good to get out there and be amongst them.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:25 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,772,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I've never bought clothes online. I need to see it, feel it and try it on. And I don't want to be messing with packing and mailing if it doesn't fit. Too much of a hassle. Plus I like the pleasure of getting out and shopping for things. I already spend too much time on the computer and phone. It's good to get out there and be amongst them.

I posted in another thread , it's hard to find solid numbers but looked from quick research as if the return rate for online clothing purchases is over 50% -- which is more than twice the rate of store-bought. There is also the wait to get the items, and the huge hassle of returning and re-buying if needed. Brick and mortar is not going away anytime soon as long as those numbers remain. Although it will change, as it always has.

There's also the factor that women generally enjoy shopping in stores.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:21 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,912,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonzie View Post
good luck finding nice clothes period.
Oddly enough I have a polo shirt from Old Navy that's over 10 years old and still in perfect condition. However some of the newer jeans I've bought show signs of wear after three months and seem to be thinner than my "cheap" shirt from way back when.

People thought I was crazy for holding on to my old clothing. Now where are they?

As far as that goes I've gotten crap for not jumping on the recycling bandwagon. I'd much rather buy something at a higher price that I know is going to last. Guess the world just doesn't work that way anymore...?

I figured the 5th Ave. "Mall" would have closed before Macy's. Then again I haven't been there in forever so maybe it has.

Anytime they can doing something cheaper businesses are going to do it.

BUT what they fail to realize is there's more to shopping than the bottom line.

How many of you looked forward to Macy's window displays at Christmas?

As long as we're on the topic I miss video/record stores too. Mainly for the brief conversations you'd have with other members of your community and the tactile process of looking through the movies/cds/records.

These things are important and we're losing them.

Last edited by Port Pitt Ash; 07-15-2015 at 11:33 AM..

Old 07-15-2015, 11:40 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Oddly enough I have a polo shirt from Old Navy that's over 10 years old and still in perfect condition. However some of the newer jeans I've bought show signs of wear after three months and seem to be thinner than my "cheap" shirt from way back when.

People thought I was crazy for holding on to my old clothing. Now where are they?

As far as that goes I've gotten crap for not jumping on the recycling bandwagon. I'd much rather buy something at a higher price that I know is going to last. Guess the world just doesn't work that way anymore...?

I figured the 5th Ave. "Mall" would have closed before Macy's. Then again I haven't been there in forever so maybe it has.

Anytime they can doing something cheaper businesses are going to do it.

BUT what they fail to realize is there's more to shopping than the bottom line.

How many of you looked forward to Macy's window displays at Christmas?

As long as we're on the topic I miss video/record stores too. Mainly for the brief conversations you'd have with other members of your community and the tactile process of looking through the movies/cds/records.

These things are important and we're losing them.
What is the "5th Ave. "Mall"'?

Old 07-15-2015, 11:42 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
It's "aspirational" - people want what is advertised as "nice things".

Of course, poor folks should be eating off plywood on sawhorses.
It's not aspirational, it's financial suicide.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:54 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
It's not aspirational, it's financial suicide.
It's both.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:23 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,912,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
What is the "5th Ave. "Mall"'?
Technically it's called 5th Ave. Place. They put up a huge wreath around Christmas. Basically it is a downtown mall that either declined or didn't go anywhere. It's down Penn Ave./Liberty going toward the Point.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4423...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4416...7i13312!8i6656

Allegheny Center Mall is another mall that declined (although I'm not sure if it ever thrived either). It has been a ghost town for as long as I can remember.

Although considering how it looks and the lack of even a sign saying, "Hey! Here's the mall." I can see why it has never gone anywhere.

I think what they were going for with that one was an early attempt at something like Biltmore Park Town Square here in Asheville and other areas where the people who live there never have to leave their shopping community (in theory).

Personally I think it's the wrong way to go about things, but that's a whole other topic.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4503...7i13312!8i6656

I know the castle has a food court in the basement, but I'm not sure if there's a mall somewhere in there or not.

Then I guess if you wanted to you could maybe consider Station Square another mall. It's always been somewhat dead and a tourist trap. Always liked that area where the incline, T, the bridge met and had hoped they were going to make it into something more, but it never really happened.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4325...8i6656!6m1!1e1

So, now that I think about it Pittsburgh is sort of unique in that it doesn't close these floundering inner city malls like most other cities have done. Columbus comes to mind. Although I sort of liked that one...

Portland and Seattle are a few of the cities that have thriving inner city malls. I know Philly has one, but I'm not sure how it's doing. Kansas City has a nightlife center in one, but again not sure on how that one is doing.

On a side note I really wish I had some all access pass that would let me tour the insides and hidden away features of the buildings in Pittsburgh.

Last edited by Port Pitt Ash; 07-18-2015 at 05:44 PM..

Old 07-18-2015, 05:42 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Technically it's called 5th Ave. Place. They put up a huge wreath around Christmas. Basically it is a downtown mall that either declined or didn't go anywhere. It's down Penn Ave./Liberty going toward the Point.

5th Avenue Place is still open and seems to be doing pretty well, the Highmark offices are in the building and across the street in the old Horne's Dept. Store building. Office workers have to eat lunch.

Allegheny Center Mall certainly was thriving back in the day. I may be the only one on city data that remembers and liked ACM but not the only person in the city. It was a victim of its smallest size, and the nationwide decline of its anchors (Zayre, Sears, Woolworths), but it was convenient as heck to city people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh