Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 09:07 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times

Advertisements

I personally think walkable neighborhoods are neighborhoods that have their own business district. I lived in Point Breeze for a bit. Even though I could walk to Shadyside or Squirrel Hill I would not call it walkable. Just too far for errands. Basically in a walkable neighborhood I think that the bus should be used to access things that aren't used on a regular basis. Like going to a movie.

Good luck to SCR with the job hunt. I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to get rid of your car. You might be upside down. And if you aren't driving it that often you will spend a lot less in gas and maintenance. So, you still may save money just by driving less. I would consider staying on as a driver one or two nights a week. What you earn could be set aside for your "house fund".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 09:26 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I personally think walkable neighborhoods are neighborhoods that have their own business district. I lived in Point Breeze for a bit. Even though I could walk to Shadyside or Squirrel Hill I would not call it walkable. Just too far for errands.
This is when it all depends on the person. To me Point Breeze is very walkable. I certainly could walk from there to East Liberty and run all my errands and wouldn't even think of driving for them. I probably would ride my bike because it is faster, but I am sure I would walk just for the fun of it. I love to walk and find it very relaxing. Aspinwall is walkable as well. You have all the shopping you would ever need right there. and if you are on the lower part of Aspinwall, you have an easy flat walk to the Giant Eagle and that lousy Water Works mess, not to mention the best State Store in PA, with the largest selection and it is open till 10:00PM, which is unusual.

SCR, being a one car family is probably not a bad thing. Let us know how it turns out. Walking 40 minutes to work sounds great to me. I find that to be a perfect time to reflect on things and that is so healthy.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:08 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I personally think walkable neighborhoods are neighborhoods that have their own business district. I lived in Point Breeze for a bit. Even though I could walk to Shadyside or Squirrel Hill I would not call it walkable. Just too far for errands. Basically in a walkable neighborhood I think that the bus should be used to access things that aren't used on a regular basis. Like going to a movie.
IIRC urban planners have found that the average person in a neighborhood, if they have a car, will only walk around 10 minutes before they decide to drive instead. Hence a 10-minute walk is traditionally considered the limit for a "walkable neighborhood."

This honestly makes a lot of sense to me. From where I live, the Bryant Street and Greenwood Street business districts are about 15 minutes away at normal walking pace. That's fine if I'm taking a leisurely stroll - but that really doesn't happen too much if you're working full-time and have two kids.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:51 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
IIRC urban planners have found that the average person in a neighborhood, if they have a car, will only walk around 10 minutes before they decide to drive instead. Hence a 10-minute walk is traditionally considered the limit for a "walkable neighborhood."

This honestly makes a lot of sense to me. From where I live, the Bryant Street and Greenwood Street business districts are about 15 minutes away at normal walking pace. That's fine if I'm taking a leisurely stroll - but that really doesn't happen too much if you're working full-time and have two kids.
It makes sense, but is sad. 10 MINUTES? WOW! We wonder why we are so fat!

Just a little information about walking.

If you’re anything like the average American, you’re doing 5,117 steps a day, well shy of the 10,000 step mark and flirting dangerously with a formal sedentary classification. But we’re not alone (though we’re the worst). Of the four industrialized countries studied, not a single one found the mark. The Australians seem to come close, walking 9,695 steps a day. The Swiss follow with 9,650, and the Japanese are a bit further off with 7,168 steps per day. Contrast that with rural South African women, of whom just 11.9% can be classified as sedentary (under 5,000 steps a day) and for whom an average day means walking 10,594 steps (many of them done while carrying a load), or Amish aged 18-75 (PDF), who walk an average of 18,425 steps (men) or 14,196 steps (women) each day, and we’re all looking pretty darn sedentary.

Read more: Why We Don't Walk Anymore | Mark's Daily Apple

Old 08-10-2015, 11:51 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
SCR, being a one car family is probably not a bad thing. Let us know how it turns out. Walking 40 minutes to work sounds great to me. I find that to be a perfect time to reflect on things and that is so healthy.
Yeah, a 40 minute walk in the sleet or in humid summer heat is just what most people need to clear their heads.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:35 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Yeah, a 40 minute walk in the sleet or in humid summer heat is just what most people need to clear their heads.
Walking in sleet or light snow really does clear your head. Especially in the dark.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:39 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Walking in sleet or light snow really does clear your head. Especially in the dark.
It's about being in the moment.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:46 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
It's about being in the moment.
You're right, but as a daily commute, a 45-minute walk in all kinds of weather might be a slog after a long day as much or more often than it is a life-affirming commune with the city.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:47 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
If you combine your exercise and your commute, you save so much time.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:57 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
If you combine your exercise and your commute, you save so much time.
Not to mention money.

That said, if you're going to walk to work, you might as well ride on a bike instead. Still get the workout, and get there in 1/3rd the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh