Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 09:17 AM

5 posts, read 6,001 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone - I'm looking to relocate to Pittsburgh, but I don't drive and I keep hearing miserable stories about the city's public transportation system. Are there any neighborhoods where it IS possible to live without a car? I work from home, so my biggest concerns are everyday things like grocery stores and restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 09:23 AM

354 posts, read 475,598 times
Southside, Strip, Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Deutschtown, Mexican War Streets can all be lived in car free pretty easily. Depending greatly on if you have a work commute.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:26 AM

29,740 posts, read 34,372,211 times
Maybe even Mt. Washington, if you live close enough to the incline or South Hills Junction.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:28 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,894 times
Throw Oakland in there. Plenty of students live without a car... AND East Liberty.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:33 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,308 times
Although people complain about the transit system, it is pretty good within the core city to get around. The advent of Lyft and Uber have made it much more convenient to get around without a car.

You would probably be fine in eastern Oakland around Bellefield Avenue/Craig Street/Centre Avenue/Bayard Street. You probably wouldn't want "downtown" Oakland because its full of college kids. "Uptown" Oakland has lots of apartment buildings and plenty of drug stores, cleaners, restaurants, etc. There is good public transportation in this area, since a lot of the routes converge along Fifth and Forbes avenues with very frequent service, as well as a north/south bus route hat goes to the North Side and South Side.

Also consider the Shadyside/Friendship/Bloomfield/East Liberty area, which has four grocery stores: Giant Eagle Market District; Aldi; Trader Joe's; and Whole Foods, as well as a Target, Home Depot, and many restaurants. In addition to good bus service, this area is served by two busway stations, which can get you downtown in less than ten minutes on a buses-only roadway that bypasses all street traffic. Squirrel Hill is also a good area and is a mix of grand houses and multi-family dwellings, grocery store, restaurants, drug stores, galleries, etc., with good bus service to Oakland and a cross-town bus to shopping centers.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:36 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,024 times
Castle Shannon, bethel park, dormont. Anywhere along the t. I lived in castle Shannon during collage without a car, I could do anything and go everywhere I wanted.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:37 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
Southside, Strip, Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Deutschtown, Mexican War Streets can all be lived in car free pretty easily. Depending greatly on if you have a work commute.
The OP works from home, so that's not a big deal for him.

Lawrenceville and the Mexican War Streets aren't quite as ideal for car-free living as the other examples listed though, because of the groceries issue. Lawrenceville has the Shop & Save, but it's really only convenient from Upper Lawrenceville, and not really convenient to walk to at all. Similarly, the Mexican War Streets has a little bodega type thing now, but it's a long walk to the Giant Eagle in Deutschtown. You'd realistically shop using the bus in both neighborhoods.

Squirrel Hill is only really good to live in car free if you live within a few blocks of the Forbes-Murray corridor, which admittedly is where the apartments are anyway. I'd also add East Liberty to the list - as long as you live south of East Liberty Boulevard, it's pretty walkable. Friendship would also work, as would certain portions of Oakland (although the grocery store issue arises there again).

Bloomfield is the best place in the city to live without a car though, bar none. Not only is it a walkable neighborhood with a (cruddy) grocery store, it also has some of the most complete bus service in the city. This is because the 54 goes through the neighborhood, which allows you to travel to the North Side and South Side without going Downtown and getting a transfer. Last I checked, Squirrel Hill was the only place in Pittsburgh with large business district you can't get to from a bus which goes through Bloomfield.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:41 AM

912 posts, read 1,732,366 times
East Liberty and Shadyside would be my top two picks. Friendship and Bloomfield are other good options. The South Side FLATS would also work, but I'd try to stay on the eastern half (18th Street or higher) because the grocery stores are both on that side of the neighborhood.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:43 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,890,700 times
In the East End, where I live without a car, I find these most convenient:

Squirrel Hill, if you are close to Murray or Forbes Avenue

North Oakland

Parts of Shadyside, Friendship, and East Liberty (most convenient along 71A or 71C bus route)

Bloomfield, but the 54 bus service is much less frequent than what you'll find in most -- all? -- of these other neighborhoods.

Only choose Lawrenceville if you don't mind walking up hills, as it is built on one.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:49 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,092,626 times
OP, are you looking for an apartment or house, and, rent or buy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh