Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 09:47 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,448,660 times

Advertisements

morgantown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 10:12 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,274,966 times
I agree with Morgantown though it's a bit further. It's a college town so there is more to do and the surrounding area is beautiful.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:55 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,988,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post

I lived in a rental in Washington for about a year and I explored all over that town. I intended to rent or even buy a home there. The first thing the real estate agent (female) said to me (female) was a stern "You probably don't want to buy or rent a home in Washington itself." It's basically a lower socioeconimic dump, in spite of Interstate 79 giving it a connection to Pittsburgh. The town is full of migrant Marcellus shale gas employees, many of which are just laborers. The elderly populace is rather "country." I think WashPA was a steel town (Jessop Steel) and as such, was a typical western PA mill town that was very blue collar and not well-educated. The is a massive drug and crime problem there, and the town is a hotbed for the heroin trade. There are no good jobs there except ed and med and the shale business. The younger people tend to be welfare recipients.

If you want a seedy old western PA mill town with decaying infrastructure, old houses carved up into 1BR apartments, schools full of kids from the projects, WashPA has a lot going for it. I believe 2014 might have kicked off the new hiring policy of BSN required.
I think you're being too hard on Washington. What small city in PA doesn't have these problems? There is a major nationwide problem with the decline in towns and cities, while suburban sprawl grows. Instead of telling people, "don't live in the city," why not offer solutions for people who do prefer to live in urban places and towns. For example, recommend neighborhoods, or school options, or options for people who want to live in town. There are certainly nice areas within the city of Washington, as there are nice areas just about everywhere. I would rather live in Washington than a bland suburb. Even with the urban problems it has, the affordability of homes there, as well as the historic architecture, walkability, and sense of community, are big draws.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 07-18-2015 at 01:36 PM..

Old 07-18-2015, 10:05 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,932,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
I think you're being too hard on Washington. What small city in PA doesn't have these problems? There is a major nationwide problem with the decline in towns and cities, while suburban sprawl grows. Instead of telling people, "don't live in the city," why not offer solutions for people who do prefer to live in urban places and towns. For example, recommend neighborhoods, or school options, or options for people who want to live in town. There are certainly nice areas within the city of Washington, as there are nice areas just about everywhere. I would rather live in Washington than a bland suburb. Even with the urban problems it has, the affordability of homes there, as well as the historic architecture, walkability, and sense of community, are big draws.
Well said.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:09 AM

831 posts, read 872,594 times
I think Zelienople might fit the bill...

Old 07-20-2015, 09:47 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,483,988 times
Not sure how far you want to be from Pittsburgh but Clarion and Indiana are both nice college towns that are removed from Pittsburgh.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:00 PM

371 posts, read 256,275 times
Thanks everyone I will add these to our temp list and start looking into them! We intend to make trip in next 6 months to look around..Been long time since I was in Pa at all and only then was to Pittsburgh.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:31 PM

27 posts, read 28,125 times
East washington is much nicer than downtown Washington. I don't think Washington schools are very good; Trinity is supposed to be better but I don't know how much.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunyaWolf View Post
East washington is much nicer than downtown Washington. I don't think Washington schools are very good; Trinity is supposed to be better but I don't know how much.
Does East Washington have its own schools? Our list right now is Greensburg,Washington,Indiana I believe that's about it.Might change once we come look around see what areas we like and what we can afford.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:40 PM

Also curious about the schools for these 3 areas. I have a child with an IEP and a need for a strong willed experienced special ed teacher that can deal with him. So used to how things are done as far as IEP's are done down here where its just transferred but this would be all new experience for us all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh