Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 11:22 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,814,959 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed this? It looks awful. This is the most important piece of architecture in the western part of the state, and it's drowning in weeds. Richardson's iconic wall is no longer even visible due to an ugly blanket of weeds. Is this just neglect, or is someone really stupid enough to think that this is a good idea? I know we have some stupid people in Pittsburgh, but this takes the cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 11:26 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,088,082 times
Which building? Also, Frank Lloyd Wright may have something to say about, "most important piece of architecture" and to be honest, there are TONS of them, but what building are you talking about?

Old 07-30-2015, 11:31 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,112,442 times
He's probably referring to the old jail/courthouse building in town and the ivy that has overgrown the Eastern side. Doesn't bother me.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Which building? Also, Frank Lloyd Wright may have something to say about, "most important piece of architecture" and to be honest, there are TONS of them, but what building are you talking about?
The old Allegheny County Jail. And yeah, I'd put it over Fallingwater, although that's a matter of opinion. Richardson is arguably the most important architect in US history, and we have one of his two most important existing works, and are allowing it to drown in a cloak of weeds. Is Fallingwater covered with weeds?

Old 07-30-2015, 11:39 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,953,249 times
Richardson's Allegheny County Courthouse was considered to embody the best architecture of the time it was built, and is still considered by many architectural scholars to be the best piece of architecture of the 19th century.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:42 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
The old Allegheny County Jail. And yeah, I'd put it over Fallingwater, although that's a matter of opinion. Richardson is arguably the most important architect in US history, and we have one of his two most important existing works, and are allowing it to drown in a cloak of weeds. Is Fallingwater covered with weeds?
Hmm, Okay I can't disagree with you. That building is a masterpiece.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:46 AM
gg

Another masterpiece from another great architect. I think there are a lot of amazing examples and as I have always said, Pittsburgh should be a tourist destination for its architecture alone. Truly amazing stuff.

http://cathedralofhope.org/about-elp...-architecture/

I haven't seen the ivy on the Jail. Is it offensive? Not sure if a marvel should have ivy on it, but there are examples that certainly do, especially in London.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Another masterpiece from another great architect. I think there are a lot of amazing examples and as I have always said, Pittsburgh should be a tourist destination for its architecture alone. Truly amazing stuff.

http://cathedralofhope.org/about-elp...-architecture/

I haven't seen the ivy on the Jail. Is it offensive? Not sure if a marvel should have ivy on it, but there are examples that certainly do, especially in London.
I could see it if it had always been that way. The problem is, the wall of the jail is generally considered the crowning glory of the entire complex. It's meant to be seen, not obscured by weeds. We're not talking about a little bit of ivy, it's covered like rocks in water get covered by algae. I'm tempted to fill my weed sprayer with poison, and make a late night visit, but I don't want to go to jail.

ELPC is a beautiful building. Boston architects have really done well by Pittsburgh over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh