Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 03:24 AM

327 posts, read 398,511 times

Advertisements

Leaning on Philadelphia because the larger population, but Pittsburgh is very appealing, with my only concern being the lack of single people my age (late30s/early 40s).

Any honest feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Other cities I am looking at are Baltimore, New Orleans, Charlotte, Milwaukee and the Twin Cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 06:21 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson702 View Post
Leaning on Philadelphia because the larger population, but Pittsburgh is very appealing, with my only concern being the lack of single people my age (late30s/early 40s).

Any honest feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Other cities I am looking at are Baltimore, New Orleans, Charlotte, Milwaukee and the Twin Cities.
Statistically, on city-data, you can look up the individual cities for singles by gender, and by age group.

I think, generally, you'll have singles in the late30s/early 40s in every city. People tend to assume only in much larger cities can you have access them though. I think access to them simply depends on your habits, routines, and behaviors.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:04 AM

792 posts, read 2,873,926 times
[quote=Tiger Beer;40621805]Statistically, on city-data, you can look up the individual cities for singles by gender, and by age group.

I think, generally, you'll have singles in the late30s/early 40s in every city. People tend to assume only in much larger cities can you have access them though. I think access to them simply depends on your habits, routines, and behaviors.[/QUOTE

Different cities have different characters and that affects dating. As an example, take Nashville. I had woman after woman tell me they could not meet men there - and I believe it. It's not (or was not five years ago), as active a place you might imagine. Yet you wouldn't see that in the population statistics. Or take Baltimore. There's a lack of public open spaces where people interact, it's provincial, ethnically divided, and dangerous. I think the OP asks a good question, albeit one that can be hard to answer because of individual differences.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:56 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
The bigger the city, the younger mid-thirties to early-forties feels, but New Orleans is a special animal. I think I'd rather be single in New Orleans than any of the other cities listed.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The bigger the city, the younger mid-thirties to early-forties feels, but New Orleans is a special animal. I think I'd rather be single in New Orleans than any of the other cities listed.
Thank you everyone for the feedback.

New Orleans would be great, but I am concerned that it might be too touristy. Nashville is a city I will take another look at.

The end game is to get married and settle down in one of these cities, which is why Pittsburgh would be great. However, its seems more family oriented than single oriented.

I guess a good part about being single is that you only need to find 1 person! I mean, maybe I am making this more complicated than it has to be.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:24 PM

310 posts, read 371,508 times
Nola!

Old 07-30-2015, 08:02 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
Philadelphia, New Orleans, Raleigh or Atlanta over Charlotte.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:31 AM

431 posts, read 449,720 times
Out of those only NOLA and Philly make sense for a single person.

NOLA doesn't make sense unless you're some sort of hard partying bohemian type.

Pittsburgh is cool but you don't want to be a 40 year old single there. Twin Cities, Charlotte... forget about it.

Of course the best place for a 40 year old single right now is NYC.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:55 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,836 times
I love Pittsburgh and it pains me to steer anyone away but I concur with the other posters--it probably isn't the best choice for a single person in your age group (I refuse to say middle aged!).
I think Philly would be a good choice. My single friends there seem to see much more action than my single friends here. Actually I hardly have any single friends here, which relates to the problem...
Best of luck to you, wherever you end up.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:15 PM

Thank you for the feedback, everyone.

I had a good feeling that Pitt was going to be limited for people my age. If I were in my 20s, I would probably make the move.

Getting old stinks, because it is a time to make tough decisions, as life is short. So, I am going to narrow it down to Philadelphia, and LA. LA is probably going to win out, because age is a no factor in the dating world of LA, and the weather is so much better.

Now, if someone can sell me on the cold weather not being a factor, then Chicago would work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh