Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 3,405 times

Advertisements

I am new to Pittsburgh and just looked at a place to live on Fleming in Brighton Heights. I love the house but wasn't sure on the neighborhood. I didn't get a bad feel from it but it did look a little iffy.

Has anyone lived near here or know people who have? Is it fairly safe? As long as I can walk my dog during the day and not have to have constant anxiety of being burglarized at night, I will be good.

I'm a young student BTW.

Thanks for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 08:53 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,090 times
Been here since 2004, but was frequenting the area since I was a small child. Like most other city neighborhoods, it's got some sketchy areas. In general I would avoid Fleming and California south of Davis Avenue. There was a shooting down there a few days ago, but this is not indicative of the neighborhood as a whole. BH is experiencing a new influx of new home buyers and it's poised to blow up IMO. If you are on FB, join the group Neighbors in Brighton Heights.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,405 times
Thanks, yeah I heard about that shooting, I didn't want it to deter me but at the same time I want to be safe.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:13 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtotheBurgh1 View Post
Thanks, yeah I heard about that shooting, I didn't want it to deter me but at the same time I want to be safe.
The criminal activity is usually directly related to the sale of drugs, occasional break ins/robberies. Most of it is not random, there is generally a pretty visible police presence here. Violent crime such as this shooting is also not random, you can bet that person was known and targeted for some reason unknown to law abiding people with lives and jobs. A shame but this stuff isn't limited to the North Side. Shadyside has had strong arm robberies on Walnut Street and daytime shootouts between police and jewelry store bandits, it's all over the city and it's a shame.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:46 AM

733 posts, read 986,991 times
I've lived in the area for about four years and bike more than I drive. I love it and have never felt unsafe.

I personally don't feel like Fleming or California would be any problem at all. I'd live on either and/or recommend it to a friend if it came up.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:06 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,459,592 times
Its better today than it was 5-10 years ago. I grew up just across the shadeland ave bridge (technically marshall/shadeland) and it was a fine area when I was a little kid. I used to ride my bike all over the area unsupervised as a 10-12 year old and nobody thought the least bit worried that me or my friends were in danger by doing so. The area went pretty far down hill throughout the mid 90's - early 2000's. Its now stable and coming back. You should have no problem whatsoever with walking your dog around in daylight. Riverview park is close by and if the city ever gets the funds to rebuild the davis ave bridge, it will be all the better to be able to walk to the park again.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:03 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,978,688 times
I live in Brighton Heights too and agree that the recent shooting shouldn't deter anyone from moving here. It's a tragedy, but as norcider said, the police are reporting that she was intentionally targeted. In my almost 3 years here the worst thing that has happened to me is someone ruffled through my glove box when I left my car unlocked at around 4PM. Probably kids after they got off school. There's a minor graffiti problem (mostly on mailboxes) and occasionally you'll see a shady looking person that in reality poses no threat. These issues exist in almost all parts of the city.

Fleming south of Davis is a very "pittsburgh" street, but is one of the less conventionally attractive portions of the neighborhood, so I would expect that rents reflect that and that's probably why you're looking at a place there as a student. Where will you be going to school and how will you commute there? Brighton Heights has three bus routes, but none of them go to Oakland without transferring.

There's also some nice amenities in the neighborhood, Tom Friday's Butcher Shop is awesome, and there's a boutique gym next door if that interests you. If you're a guy I highly recommend the Humble Barbershop. Woods Run Library is pretty close too. There's also a ton of community gardens if you like gardening. Unfortunately the neighborhood coffee shop just went out of business this week, but here's hoping something neat takes its place or that they find new owners.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:37 AM

4 posts, read 7,991 times
I lived on McClure Avenue for 4 years until recently and loved Brighton Heights. Such a great spot that is really not given it's due. I think Fleming is fine the closer to Termon you are. The ease of getting downtown and actually anywhere is great from there. We never had any problems with crime/vandalism and we walked the dog/ran around the whole neighborhood often.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:02 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,083 times
A friend of mine who used to live on the Garden Theatre block back in the early 90's has been living on Woods Run Ave in BH for a while, no one messes with him.

The Young Brothers bar on Woods Run comes recommended, although I haven't drank there yet.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:25 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,688 times
What sort of cities have you lived in before? BH is fine - especially if you are comfortable living in a truly diverse area that requires a certain amount of street smarts but is generally fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh