Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 08:01 PM

82 posts, read 140,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
When you want to get all excited about such things, "Fracking" is much more of a buzzword than "long-wall mining." Mine subsidence is soo 20th Century...

(emphasis mine.)

Well, math was never my strong suit, but I'm having trouble reconciling those two statements...
Good catch. Perhaps the author meant to write "dropped TO one fourth..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 08:13 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,109,813 times
Fracking must be the new buzzword when there's nothing else that works when trying to demean an area.

Last edited by erieguy; 08-02-2015 at 08:21 PM..

Old 08-02-2015, 08:19 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,194,006 times
Quote:

Perhaps the author meant to write "dropped TO one fourth..."
Maybe, but then it should have read "...dropped to one fourth of..." not "from".

Old 08-02-2015, 08:24 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,494,404 times
In 1758 a large tract of woodland was purchased for $10,000 under the Stanwix Treaty made with the Native-Americans. This area would include Hazelwood and Greenfield of the 15th ward.
Hazelwood takes its name from the hazelnut trees which once flourished along the Monongahela river. The first settlers were of Scottish descent and settled what was known as Scotch Bottom. This area ran from Four Mile Run (lower Greenfield) to Six Mile Ferry, four and six miles (10 km) from the Point (where the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers merge) respectively. Among the first settlers was John Woods, a politician who built his 'Hazel Hill' estate in 1784. That house still stands, the second oldest stone building in Pittsburgh after The Fort Pitt Blockhouse. Eventually, large farms were cut out of the wooded hills, attracting more residents and supplying the area with further wealth.

Can you believe it, they got rid of all those farms and beautiful hazelnut trees to build steel mills! Damn you urban dwellers!

Old 08-02-2015, 09:19 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,889,007 times
The constant city vs suburbs, and suburbs vs city, banter on this forum really lowers the quality of discussion and is so artificial to this forum..

It's really quite sad.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:57 AM

831 posts, read 875,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Pittsburgh will never be able to thrive as a city if we continue to allow the Cranberries and franking companies of the world to continue to sprawl out and tear up the surrounding countryside.
1) I hate the effects that fracking has on the land.

2) How the f*&k does Cranberry get dragged into this discussion?? You guys seriously have screws loose. I honestly wonder if this isn't a troll.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:13 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,905,118 times
I do believe Cranberry was dragged into this more metaphorically by saying its fracking and "cranberries" of the world. Not Cranberry itself but more in relation to sprawl eating up the countryside. Either way, it wasn't necessary to discuss the topic. However, it always wasn't necessary to mention fracking.

Who knows, people seem to find a way to mention Cranberry in every thread in order to continue the petty back and forth.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:44 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,109,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I do believe Cranberry was dragged into this more metaphorically by saying its fracking and "cranberries" of the world. Not Cranberry itself but more in relation to sprawl eating up the countryside. Either way, it wasn't necessary to discuss the topic. However, it always wasn't necessary to mention fracking.

Who knows, people seem to find a way to mention Cranberry in every thread in order to continue the petty back and forth.
The haters that mention Cranberry in most every thread do nothing but help the area and promote the sprawl. The more people that Google or visit the area realize most every negative mentioned is false. The more attention the better. Keep it growing.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:56 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,809,811 times
They are related. It isn't 1890 anymore. You aren't going to bring prosperity to the area by pounding out steel or burning massive amounts of coal. Cities will only thrive if they attract knowledge workers and only if they are attractive places to live. How do expect to do this if you tear up and sprawl out your surrounding countryside? People aren't attracted to strip malls and former state parks that are denuded fracked out (excuse me longitudinal coal mined) mud pits.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:59 AM

831 posts, read 875,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
They are related. It isn't 1890 anymore. You aren't going to bring prosperity to the area by pounding out steel or burning massive amounts of coal. Cities will only thrive if they attract knowledge workers and only if they are attractive places to live. How do expect to do this if you tear up and sprawl out your surrounding countryside? People aren't attracted to strip malls and former state parks that are denuded fracked out mud pits.
Have you ever been to Cranberry? If so, have you ever been anywhere except rt 19 and 228? I hate to break it to you, but there are a lot of people who are more attracted to living there than they are to living in the city. Also, there are lots of hi tech companies that are located in Cranberry, and lots of folks live AND work there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh