Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 02:03 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Trophy hunters do FAR more good for endangered species than all the tut-tutting internet bleeding hearts will ever do.

Here's What the Guy Who Paid $50,000 to Kill Cecil the Lion Can Learn from the Guy Who Paid $350,000 to Kill a Black Rhino - Hit & Run : Reason.com
Yeah. Except with the lion-hunter it wasn't a charity event to help save animals. He was in it for the ego boost and instead got the opposite.

Your conclusion is flawed. This article proves that one endangered rhino hunt was done to raise money to stop poachers... you know- those guilty of the crime that the lion-hunter has been accused of. I think you've made a very convincing argument for your opponents. It's not ok to just shoot lions whenever and however you feel like it. If you do so... internet shaming can result.

If internet shaming proves effective and the doctor goes the route of his brother Great White Hunter dentist, then your opponents' win. Too bad for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 02:08 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Yeah. Except with the lion-hunter it wasn't a charity event to help save animals. He was in it for the ego boost and instead got the opposite.

Your conclusion is flawed. This article proves that one endangered rhino hunt was done to raise money to stop poachers... you know- those guilty of the crime that the lion-hunter has been accused of. I think you've made a very convincing argument for your opponents. It's not ok to just shoot lions whenever and however you feel like it. If you do so... internet shaming can result.

If internet shaming proves effective and the doctor goes the route of his brother Great White Hunter dentist, then your opponents' win. Too bad for you.
My argument isn't flawed, but your reading comprehension is. Nowhere will you see me defend illegal hunting.

This was -purely and simply- a trophy hunt. And it was a good thing.

If this dentist really believed that his was a legal hunt, then he is a victim of fraud, not a criminal. (I think he's poacher, myself.)

Old 08-03-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
My argument isn't flawed, but your reading comprehension is. Nowhere will you see me defend illegal hunting.

This was -purely and simply- a trophy hunt. And it was a good thing.

If this dentist really believed that his was a legal hunt, then he is a victim of fraud, not a criminal. (I think he's poacher, myself.)
How much did the lion hunter's kill raise for charity again? If it's listed in the article, then I did miss it.

Otherwise what was your point again?

Old 08-03-2015, 02:19 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
How much did the lion hunter's kill raise for charity again? If it's listed in the article, then I did miss it.

Otherwise what was your point again?
Trophy hunting can be a good thing in that it culls herds and raises funds for conservation.

Got it now?

Old 08-03-2015, 02:39 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
It is true that this issue is trending right now, but I am glad that it is because this is something that really needs to be addressed. I am an avid hunter and fisherman and I would never hunt an animal for the "sport" of it. I typically hunt deer, pheasant, turkey, ducks, wild boar, and some small game. These are of course all animals that are fantastic to eat and they are either very abundant or an invasive species in the case of the wild boar. I hunt because I enjoy nature, hiking, and I hunt for animals that are sustainably managed and can be eaten. With that being said, these "African Safaris" have become nothing more than poaching threatened and endangered animals that can be displayed as trophies of the rich. Many of these "hunts" even involve the guides injuring the animal before the "hunter" actually finally kills it. This is mainly done because these "hunters" are not usually very skilled or well practiced, but they are always wealthy and willing to pay almost any price. The lion, elephant, rhino, etc. populations are all becoming threatened because of these hunts and in some parts of China people eat these exotic animals and the demand for the meat is very high. My main hunting rules are I won't hunt any animals that are not abundant or would not be worth eating.
I am also an avid hunter and I agree 100% with this.

Hunting a lion to get a head on the wall is disgraceful to the sport. I'm sure he is one of those spoiled rich people who think anything in the world is theirs to take.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Trophy hunting can be a good thing in that it culls herds and raises funds for conservation.

Got it now?
Yes. The article was poorly-"Reason"ed. The lion-hunters were not seeking to raise money for conservation, nor were they participating in the legal process that these respective nations use for "culling" their own herds. This is not a convincing defense of your Great White Hunters. It is not up to these idiots to decide how culling the herd is be undertaken. Do you "get" that now? It's ironic how you brought up reading comprehension, and then presented a takeaway like "these trophy hunters are helping". You even say you consider them poachers. ..

Old 08-03-2015, 03:02 PM

Did you want to share anything that you didn't include in your name-calling rep comment, or are you done now?

Old 08-03-2015, 03:19 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
I am also an avid hunter and I agree 100% with this.

Hunting a lion to get a head on the wall is disgraceful to the sport. I'm sure he is one of those spoiled rich people who think anything in the world is theirs to take.

Dr. Seski is a flawed individual, as well all are.

But he's hardly, a "spoiled" rich person, from what I've seen is Seski went out and earned his money through hard work and innovation.

I certainly wouldn't have advised spending it like he did, but you'll have that sometimes.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:54 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times
Awww now the big bad hunters are scared and in hiding.

Must suck to feel like the hunted, yes? Ironic

Old 08-03-2015, 07:55 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Another case of the white guy is the innocent one?
I suppose from one angle it could look that way. I wasn't thinking race one iota when I made my comment. But in this world, if it's a black & white issue race will almost always be a perceived problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh