Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 01:04 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,388,315 times

Advertisements

Is it discolored from all your faucets and toilet or just your kitchen sink
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 05:23 PM

7 posts, read 10,006 times
Pretty sure i've seen it in the toilet too I think. It's not often that it happens but I always run and inspect the water before I drink it.

My research suggests that Britta filters as well as all the other brand name filters are not effective in removing certain metals or chems and some actually add unwanted particles to the water so I don't bother with those.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:29 PM

697 posts, read 777,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xs400 View Post
Do you all drink the water straight from the tap?
We use this 10 stage filter for kitchen sink. Only need to replace filter once per year.

But I'd still call water co in your case.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:56 PM

778 posts, read 839,677 times
Call PWSA. I've drunk Pittsburgh tap water my whole life and it's never been yellow.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:12 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,388,315 times
You can have issues with dissimilar metals causing issues in your faucet, especially if the rubber o rings have worn out in the cartridge. If it was a broader problem you would have to run the water alot longer to clear the whole house out. If I was a gambling man, that is what I would bet on.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:33 PM

7 posts, read 10,006 times
How about radon gas? I have not tested the house but I assume is in the higher range based on the radon maps I've looked at. Are most houses equipped with radon mitigation these days? I live in a nicer part of town, not sure if that makes any difference.. the house is old.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:51 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xs400 View Post
Pretty sure i've seen it in the toilet too I think. It's not often that it happens but I always run and inspect the water before I drink it.

My research suggests that Britta filters as well as all the other brand name filters are not effective in removing certain metals or chems and some actually add unwanted particles to the water so I don't bother with those.
Most filters don't remove fluoride either, which is a known toxic poison that no one should ever be ingesting at any concentration. However, it is amazingly still being added to water supplies around the country due to public ignorance about this issue. Here is a great article showing the scary history of fluoride being placed in water supplies in this country.

To make matters worse, the entire con-job originated right here in Pittsburgh. Fluoride is a by-product in the process of making aluminum and an ALCOA scientist enlisted the Mellon Institute to study if they could cheaply get rid of it by dumping it in the water supply. So they funded some bogus studies about how it helps prevent cavities and the rest is history.

As you can imagine, the Pittsburgh Water Authority is freely pumping it in while it pumps out that very same propaganda about "cavities". Disturbing indeed, but this is the world we live in now. Where giant corporations and faceless bureaucracies insist that they know what is best for our health and well being, even though behind the scenes their actions have shown that profits and secrecy is really all that they care about.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:05 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,878,294 times
^ or you know, there's also science Is Fluoride Dangerous? | Campaign for Dental Health

Old 08-13-2015, 03:44 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,201,750 times
Quote:

Fluoride is a by-product in the process of making aluminum and an ALCOA
scientist enlisted the Mellon Institute to study if they could cheaply get rid
of it by dumping it in the water supply.
AND, the industry reaped huge windfall profits from the sale of its foil products for use in making hats...

Old 08-13-2015, 06:32 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
You can buy radon tests in the hardware stores. I guess there is a bunch of radon around here, but there are also a bunch of very drafty houses, so it probably works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh