Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 10:14 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,875,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I imagine a whole TOD created around a Allegheny Transportation Center..... Not only being a center for transferring Routes, but also building Apts, providing convenience services, i.e a Drug Store, Bank, Coffee Chain, maybe Dry Cleaning. It would be the Ultimate convenient area to live in the city, you would be able to get almost anywhere from it, and all the modern conveniences are right at you door step.
There actually are plans to turn this into an apartment building, although I haven't heard anything about it in at least a year.

I often imagine a new neighborhood springing up just to the north of here - along Allegheny Avenue at the intersection of Allegheny West, Chateau, and Manchester. There's lots of industrial buildings, fast-food franchises and parking lots here which are ripe for conversion to higher usage, and it's still only a five-minute walk from Allegheny Station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 10:57 AM

4,173 posts, read 2,916,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
There wouldn't be 5 stops... From Brighton and North to Allegheny is maybe 3 stops, obviously one would be at CCAC. The Bus should pretty much be able to stick to the same 4 mins at Google Maps. You would be off the bus an on the "T" before that same 16 even got to the Children Musem.

Not everyone can walk from the center of town to perimeters ... Think of the Elderly and handicap, who uses the buses a lot... Creating a Transportation Center out of Allegheny Station means a lot of people wouldn't even need to go Downtown at all... They make their connections at Allegheny.

No One going from North Side to West End should need to go through downtown at all.

for Oakland, PAT could create a faster routing of the 54, taking people directly from Allegheny Station to Oakland using the East Busway, with out needing to go through town at all.

Needing to transfer to the "T" is a marginal time difference at best, and its provides far greater coverage for those that are Downtown destined. The Transfer time between the bus and "T" will probably be nil as there will always be "T" trains waiting to depart as your bus arrives.

I imagine a whole TOD created around a Allegheny Transportation Center..... Not only being a center for transferring Routes, but also building Apts, providing convenience services, i.e a Drug Store, Bank, Coffee Chain, maybe Dry Cleaning. It would be the Ultimate convenient area to live in the city, you would be able to get almost anywhere from it, and all the modern conveniences are right at you door step.

Again this is how Transportation Centers act in other cities ..... I admit, I hate the whole Downtown being the center transportation hub. If I live in Penn Hills and want to go to Monroeville, why do I need to go all the way into town to essentially come back in the same direction? ..... Creating more Hubs (Transportation Centers) and Crosstowns routings would attract far greater ridership ... Not everyone needs or wants to go through town.
From Penn Hills you would get a Monroeville bus from the Wilkinsburg Station. You can can also get Monroeville buses at the Top of Penn Ave on the Penn Hills /Wilkinsburg border.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:27 PM

6,596 posts, read 8,914,401 times
Transferring is not all about time. It's about having to get out of my seat, be exposed to the elements again, walk up/down to the T platform, wait for the next ride, find a spot to sit or stand again, and then walk up/down from the T a second time. Call it lazy, call it irrational, I don't care and I am not likely to continue to commute by PAT if I have to transfer to go 3.5 miles on what is now a 20 minute bus ride.

If the only problem with the perimeter around downtown is the elderly and disabled then there could be a single route that meanders through downtown and connects at the loop.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:29 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,851,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
From Penn Hills you would get a Monroeville bus from the Wilkinsburg Station. You can can also get Monroeville buses at the Top of Penn Ave on the Penn Hills /Wilkinsburg border.
The 77 (Penn Hills) and the 67 (Monroeville) the 2 main line routes never intersect anywhere along their route, but Downtown. I don't count the "P" Flyer routes because they're so few and far between and don't provide all day / weekend service.

Point being PAT needs to redesign its coverage into several hubs and spokes with Crosstown routing connecting them.... the Old style of everything to Downtown and everyone makes their transfer there, no longer works. A lot of routes just compete with each other for the same riders rather than providing unique services to each one.

This is why I advocated for routes like the 64 going to Millvale and Ross Park Mall, why should an East End person need to go all the way Downtown just to come back out in somewhat the same direction. If live in L'ville you mean I have to go all the way Downtown on the 91 just to catch another bus (the 1 or 2) to get to Millvale, a bridge away, Come On!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh