Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 07:01 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
vick was 50/50 when signed but that changed quickly.
So considering it's less then 24hrs since Vick was signed here, any reports of how amazingly different philly & pgh are on the issue have been greatly exaggerated.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:02 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
clicked on the thread expecting some type of post that was remotely related to the title. but then saw the typical ranting city-data nonsense. wish the mods would re-title these things to something that makes sense, or just close them.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:09 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
It seems the NFL has a fetish for paying millions to some pretty terrible people while the NHL recruits class acts like Sidney Crosby.
Yeah, Patrick Kane is a class act.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:10 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
vick was 50/50 when signed but that changed quickly.

as for riley cooper I can say no one wants him on the team even before him dropping the N word. we are still puzzled at the extension.

to those who left comments to me without putting a name behind it: thanks for proving my point.

im a dog owner of two and I hated vick (I liked him from Va tech days) and I was pissed at what he did in pretty much rural VA.

but unlike other atheletes who did crimes, he has gone far and beyond to amend for his errors. Ray rice straight up knocks the F out of his fiancé and people get uppity for a bit. I bet no one would bat an eye if he signed with Pittsburgh though.

a WR driving in Miami drunk hit and killed a human, yet he gets nothing. stallworth served less time killing a PERSON than vick did for dog fighting. Harrision assaults females and its ok. Greg Hardy assaults people and its "whatever". Mcdonald former 49ers, beats up women and its ok at first, then a 2nd time hits and hes canned. Whats my point? it seems people forgive all these athletes for their crimes yet Michael vick can never, ever get forgiveness. Yet at the same time he does go around talking against dog fighting.
Dog fighting in urban and rural areas is no different than hunting dear or raising and slaughtering cattle. In all cases animals abused and or killed. Pittsburgh (white folk) do have a problem with controversial black athletes. Barry Bonds and Rashard Mendenhall did not deserve all of the hate. The demonization of black athletes is not limited to Pittsburgh. Ben Sherman was demonized for being the best. He was labeled a thug (code for N!&&*&) even though he is the complete opposite of what I would call a thug.

To Pittsburgh's defense the news did say the majority of people interviewed support Vick and the Steelers decision. Most do recognize that in the end this is a business decision that makes sense.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:11 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Dog fighting in urban and rural areas is no different than hunting dear or raising and slaughtering cattle. In all cases animals abused and or killed. Pittsburgh (white folk) do have a problem with controversial black athletes. Barry Bonds and Rashard Mendenhall did not deserve all of the hate. The demonization of black athletes is not limited to Pittsburgh. Ben Sherman was demonized for being the best. He was labeled a thug (code for N!&&*&) even though he is the complete opposite of what I would call a thug.

To Pittsburgh's defense the news did say the majority of people interviewed support Vick and the Steelers decision. Most do recognize that in the end this is a business decision that makes sense.
Race-baiting when there was no need to do so? Nice!

I'd find Michael Vick's torture of living creatures to be reprehensible whether he was black OR white.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:19 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Dog fighting in urban and rural areas is no different than hunting dear or raising and slaughtering cattle.
Come on, you know that's a load of crap.

The racial aspect is too to a lesser extent.

Bonds = Jagr (both left for more $/ fame which fans don't take lightly)

Mendenhall - any famous person tweeting about bin laden in any manner that could be construed in anyway positive when the U.S. took him out (and questioning 9/11) is going to take flack; Mendenhall just happened to be the only one stupid enough to do so.

These are examples of looking for racism where none actually exists but convincing yourself it does.

Ben Sherman makes clothes

Last edited by UKyank; 08-26-2015 at 07:32 AM..

Old 08-26-2015, 07:22 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Exactly. None of those things are related.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:24 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Dog fighting in urban and rural areas is no different than hunting dear or raising and slaughtering cattle. In all cases animals abused and or killed. Pittsburgh (white folk) do have a problem with controversial black athletes.
So you equate dog fighting to food on the table? What do you do with the dead dog after the fight? Eat it?

It is interesting how you view these as the same. I certainly don't. Cattle roam on a farm and then they are killed to feed people. Deer have almost no predators that hunt them these days other than man and what does man do with them after they shoot them? Eat them. What would the deer population be without thinning the herd? Feeding people by raising livestock is nothing like raising dogs to fight each other. I think you need to rethink how you view the lowlife people that promote dog fighting. That is sick and it has nothing to do with race.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:27 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Barry Bonds and Rashard Mendenhall did not deserve all of the hate.
I don't like either of them, but it has nothing to do with race. Barry Bonds has always been a giant *******, and Rashard Mendenhall is a quitter and a liar. I'm sure there are morons among us who called them racist names, but those two really need to get over themselves if they think that most people were targeting them for the color of their skin instead of the content of their character.

By the way, you know who else I don't like? Jaromir Jagr. You know who one of my least-favorite NFL players of all time is? Bill Romanowski. And I was embarrassed by the way Ben Roethlisberger conducted himself prior to 2010. At least he's gotten his **** together since, and so has Michael Vick, for that matter. On that note, I believe in redemption regardless of skin color.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:31 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,638,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I was raised in the same area as Vick. It was very common ...at least in the lower economic areas which I lived. I remember as a child having several families I knew involved in of fights. One of my " crushes " was actively involved in raising dogs to fight. No one really thought much about it. No one was in horror over it...including myself as it was as normal as going to school. I never attended any fights or participated in any way. Of course now feel different as I have had different experiences and matured.

I am beyond an animal lover. Don't get me started on the abuse chickens go through to provide the majority of chickens that are sold In our grocery stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh