Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 09:58 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
No way would I want to deal with commuting from the east end to moon daily when there are equally good alternatives to avoid that mess
I'd honestly suggest Carnegie over the East End even. Much shorter commute, and still a fair amount for a young person to do.

South Side is the best option though. Or something in "Greater Downtown" - provided it comes with parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 10:03 AM

912 posts, read 1,731,907 times
$2000 a month puts you anywhere in the city. I'd focus on three neighborhoods. Each one is full of 20-somethings and has a different vibe.

South Side Flats:
The nightlife epicenter of Pittsburgh. Tons of bars that are packed every weekend. Lots of restaurants and boutique shops along Carson Street, and a small lifestyle center in the eastern end of the neighborhood (South Side Works).
Vibe: Bro

Shadyside:
More affluent than the South Side. High end shops along Walnut Street. Plenty of restaurants and bars throughout the neighborhood that attract a less rowdy crowd.
Vibe: Yuppie

Lawrenceville:
The neighborhood that's making all the headlines. Lots of new and innovative (by Pittsburgh standards) bars and restaurants. Most of the action is taking place in Lower Lawrenceville (lower numbered streets/closer to the Strip District).
Vibe: Hipster

Old 09-02-2015, 10:05 AM

11 posts, read 8,477 times
Having lived there in '99 through '01, I would suggest one of the newer places on Mt. Washington if you can find a place.
You can avoid the tunnels all together with your commute (several alternate, non-highway routes become viable from up there) and you are still relatively close to all the action downtown. You can walk to the south side, the stadiums, downtown and station square from up there and you are only a 10 min. drive to the east end / shadyside.

Things have most assuredly changed up there since '01 but it can't be too bad.

PS - I moved from here to Houston (Kingwood) for two years in '03 and '04 and loved it down there.
Post up if you have more questions.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:11 AM

912 posts, read 1,731,907 times
Quote:
No way would I want to deal with commuting from the east end to moon daily when there are equally good alternatives to avoid that mess
There aren't "equally good" alternatives for a 20-something outside the city. No suburb can offer what the younger neighborhoods in the city have to offer.

Maybe the OP should check out Lawrenceville. That way he could take 28 to Ohio River Blvd and avoid 376 altogether. Or even take 28 to 279 to Camp Horne Road to Ohio River Blvd to bypass some traffic.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:18 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
There aren't "equally good" alternatives for a 20-something outside the city. No suburb can offer what the younger neighborhoods in the city have to offer.

Maybe the OP should check out Lawrenceville. That way he could take 28 to Ohio River Blvd and avoid 376 altogether. Or even take 28 to 279 to Camp Horne Road to Ohio River Blvd to bypass some traffic.
I was referring to the suggestions of the east end (shadyside & east Liberty) specifically. No reason to live there & deal with traffic adding to the commute when neighborhoods with the same amenities in the city are available without the east end traffic headaches

Old 09-02-2015, 10:24 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
I'd look at Mt. Washington. It's close to the South Side and convenient to other city neighborhoods, and it's easy to get to Moon.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:55 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,166 times
I moved up here from Houston 3 yrs ago an lived in mt. Washington when I got here. A place near Shiloh was ideal ad getting to southside was no time at all. I've also lived in southside near southside works and I reccomend either living close to Shiloh and grandview if you pick mt washington or you live near Birmingham bridge in southside if you live there.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:17 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,287 times
Quote:
It's not that bad. 45 minutes or so average at rush hour, hour at worst. There is some traffic getting out of the city in the morning, but calling it a mess is a bit overstated. Southside would be a bit better for the commute though.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:54 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Quote:
I disagree with this. We have nothing that compares to the East Liberty/Shadyside.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:00 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I disagree with this. We have nothing that compares to the East Liberty/Shadyside.
I guess whatever the draw is, is lost on me. I'd choose larryville, southside, or the strip & even downtown to live in way before east Liberty/shadyside.
I'm not hating on it mind you; just not enthralled with the neighborhoods either.
Oh well, luckily we all have different opinions & not all fighting to live in the same zip code
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh