Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 11:44 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Say what you will, but I've loved Burgatory for years, and even if they do become a "dreaded chain" beyond just their current few nearby locations, as they are anticipating, I'm still going to patronize them as long as their food quality and hospitality don't suffer in the process.

How many of you on here heap loads of praise on Lidia's? Did you know that's a chain, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 11:55 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,215 times
If we're going to talk about Pittsburgh chains, I have no real problem with Crazy Mocha, FWIW. Not the greatest coffee ever, but not the worst either, and here on the North side they provide a clean, well-lighted place for a community that needs it.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:33 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Say what you will, but I've loved Burgatory for years, and even if they do become a "dreaded chain" beyond just their current few nearby locations, as they are anticipating, I'm still going to patronize them as long as their food quality and hospitality don't suffer in the process.

How many of you on here heap loads of praise on Lidia's? Did you know that's a chain, too?
I think the original objection was that Pittsburgh hasn't suffered the proliferation of chains to the virtual exclusion of almost all else that you'll find in a growing number of small-to-mid sized midwestern/Sun Belt cities.

Anyway, to me the jumping the shark moment comes when the restaurant (or ownership group) become publicly traded. Because at that point the diner's interests become secondary to those of the stockholders.

Lidia's is not a great example as the ownership group does not roll out cookie-cutter experiences. Lidia's is not Babbo's nor Eataly nor Del Posto, etc. Nor is it publicly traded.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:54 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Lidia's restaurants are mostly different from each other, as kink specifies above, and food is prepared freshly (and usually deliciously) at each location. You would really compare Lidia's to Applebee's or Olive Garden?

My favorite restaurant in Philadelphia is also a chain. It's the Vetri Family of restaurants, which range from pizza to $150 prix fixe. I've enjoyed meals at Amis and Lo Spiedo, and recommend them to anyone who likes good, fresh Italian food. I can't wait to try all of them.

Home - Vetri Family

There are chains, and then there are chains.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:05 PM

831 posts, read 878,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
There are chains, and then there are chains.
Or, there are good restaurants and bad...independent of how many other buildings they may own...

Old 09-11-2015, 02:01 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Very true^^^^^

It's always interesting as to Olive Garden being mentioned on a regular basis, yet I don't recall anybody saying anything good about it, here. A quick search shows OG and Applebee's have 2700+ locations combined. Obviously many people like them and they employ a lot of people. While I'm not a big fan of either, the more the merrier. Doesn't mean you have to eat there.

Last edited by erieguy; 09-11-2015 at 02:11 PM..

Old 09-11-2015, 02:30 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
In this era of people eating out all of the time, and engaging in a lot of travel, chain restaurants are a great idea.

In a well-run chain, the diner can expect the same menu to taste the same way, whether they are in Pittsburgh, in Altoona or down in North Charleston.

It might not be haute cuisine, but there will be no surprises in a good chain.

As far as spending $100 for a dinner and no drinks, I just can't see parting with that kind of scratch. Eat n Park has some good things on the menu, you can eat for a lot less, this isn't New York.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:33 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,091,748 times
I don't understand why someone would go to Eat 'n Park when they could be fed just as well at McDonalds. Better yet, cook at home and really save.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:44 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
I don't understand why someone would go to Eat 'n Park when they could be fed just as well at McDonalds. Better yet, cook at home and really save.
When were you last at Eat n Park?

Old 09-11-2015, 04:58 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
McD's doesn't make turkey club sandwiches at midnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh