Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 08:43 PM

59 posts, read 89,284 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a 3-story, 3-family brick apartment building with a pretty rusted metal fire escape in the back. Some treads have even rusted such that they're loose. The fire escape is a full-size staircase which runs by the rear doors of all three units.

This is my first time in dealing with a fire escape. In trying to figure out if I should take on this project, I'm wondering:

1. Have any of you guys ever had to deal with such a project? What's your experience been like?

2. What's the price range for tearing the old one down and installing a new one in its place?

3. Any recommended contractors for such a project?

THANKS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 03:27 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,388,315 times
You will need alot of money, I don't think alot of guys will take on the liability of repairing a firescape, if they do it wont be cheap. Most new escapes that I see are made of wood. They can't be attached to the house and they have to have a roof over them. There are a few companies that sell circular stair kits, that maybe the best way of going if everything lines up.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:41 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,577,889 times
You'll likely need an engineer or an architect.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:55 PM

524 posts, read 1,035,942 times
I got a quote from Safe Escapeways, Matt Bartlett back in 2012 for a new 3 story fire escape for $15,000. This did not include permit fees or window/doorways.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:55 PM

59 posts, read 89,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onwardandupward View Post
I got a quote from Safe Escapeways, Matt Bartlett back in 2012 for a new 3 story fire escape for $15,000. This did not include permit fees or window/doorways.
Thanks, this is very helpful. When you talk about window/doorways, did that mean you needed to create windows/doorways which opened to the fire escape?

Did you contact anyone else about your project? What did you end up doing/paying?

Old 09-13-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Campbell View Post
Thanks, this is very helpful. When you talk about window/doorways, did that mean you needed to create windows/doorways which opened to the fire escape?
No - it means the quote did not include any of that work if I were to need it. I was able to use my existing windows because they were grandfathered in - I was told that current code required fire doors to the fire escape.

Quote:
Did you contact anyone else about your project? What did you end up doing/paying?
I ended up replacing it with another wooden one and using a different contractor. I had to get the Pgh BBI's ok to do that and got permission because I had an existing wooden one. If you have a steel/metal one you would not be able to replace it with a wooden one. I think I ended up paying around $10-12K, again, back in 2012.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:24 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,458,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onwardandupward View Post
No - it means the quote did not include any of that work if I were to need it. I was able to use my existing windows because they were grandfathered in - I was told that current code required fire doors to the fire escape.

I ended up replacing it with another wooden one and using a different contractor. I had to get the Pgh BBI's ok to do that and got permission because I had an existing wooden one. If you have a steel/metal one you would not be able to replace it with a wooden one. I think I ended up paying around $10-12K, again, back in 2012.
did they try to make you go to metal? I wondered how easy they would be about this if there was a wooden egress already in place.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
did they try to make you go to metal?
Yes - metal is the current code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
I wondered how easy they would be about this if there was a wooden egress already in place.
If what I was doing was "repairing" the fire escape, there would have been no problem, as I was grandfathered in. However, mine needed completely "replaced," and was therefore subject to the current code. Getting approval to use wood definitely was a hassle - I had to plead my case to the building inspector, get preliminary approval, pay (~$1500) for an engineered set of drawings for a new wooden one, meet again with the inspector to have them approved, and then have him come out when it was finished to sign off on it.

And honestly, if I had to do it again, I would probably do it in metal, even though it is more expensive. The wooden one needs to be stained every few years, and is much larger than a metal one would be. Alternatively, I would make the wooden one have more of a deck/porch feel, so that folks could actually sit outside on it. That would involve cutting into the house and using fire doors rather than using existing windows, however, so more $$$....

I have no idea what current costs would be, but in either case - metal or wood, it's a very expensive proposition.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:01 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,458,694 times
gotcha. thanks for the info. I have one set up with decks and doors on each unit, its coming to the end years of its life, but ill just repair as needed instead of completely replacing.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,592 times
Default Try Safeescapeways

Quote:
I'm looking at a 3-story, 3-family brick apartment building with a pretty rusted metal fire escape in the back. Some treads have even rusted such that they're loose. The fire escape is a full-size staircase which runs by the rear doors of all three units.

This is my first time in dealing with a fire escape. In trying to figure out if I should take on this project, I'm wondering:

1. Have any of you guys ever had to deal with such a project? What's your experience been like?

2. What's the price range for tearing the old one down and installing a new one in its place?

3. Any recommended contractors for such a project?

THANKS.

Contact Safeescapeways
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: