Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 10:00 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,842,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I believe they do realize that. However, what they were wondering about are those who place a higher priority on say, housing or clothing, than they do on food quality. Some people are more concerned about what they put on their bodies than they are with what they put in their bodies.
1. It's not quite the same comparing consumables to more permanent items. You purchase one house on very rare occasions & keep it; clothing you also purchase for longer time frames. Food you purchase multiple times a day & use once.

2. Most people do not purchase the most expensive clothes or house, they purchase what is commensurate with their budget or often lower, much the same with food.

To say that people spend all their money on clothes & housing then choose to eat bad food is simply not the case for the majority of people.
Personally I find no actual scientific benefit to organic/ gmo free/ hybrid free (insert food trend) to warrant the premium pricing but that doesn't automatically mean I'm sustaining myself on cheetos & Big Macs either. One can eat quite healthy without spending much to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 06:39 PM

9,316 posts, read 12,911,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
1. It's not quite the same comparing consumables to more permanent items. You purchase one house on very rare occasions & keep it; clothing you also purchase for longer time frames. Food you purchase multiple times a day & use once.

2. Most people do not purchase the most expensive clothes or house, they purchase what is commensurate with their budget or often lower, much the same with food.

To say that people spend all their money on clothes & housing then choose to eat bad food is simply not the case for the majority of people.
Personally I find no actual scientific benefit to organic/ gmo free/ hybrid free (insert food trend) to warrant the premium pricing but that doesn't automatically mean I'm sustaining myself on cheetos & Big Macs either. One can eat quite healthy without spending much to do so.
Regardless of science, organic foods can differ in taste and quality (though certainly far from everything in my experience, especially packaged foods). Anti-GMO people propagate the same fear-mongering as anti-vaxxers.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:46 PM

189 posts, read 164,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Regardless of science, organic foods can differ in taste and quality (though certainly far from everything in my experience, especially packaged foods). Anti-GMO people propagate the same fear-mongering as anti-vaxxers.
I'm not sure what this even means, especially "regardless of science.."

Old 09-18-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamieRose View Post
I'm not sure what this even means, especially "regardless of science.."
UKYank said he finds no scientific benefit to organic food. I responded that irrespective of whether there is evidence to suggest that organic food is healthier, it is sometimes (though by no means always) tastier.

Since UKYank's "no scientific benefit" statement included GMOs, I added that people who fear GMOs fall prey to the same kind of junk science and hysteria as anti-vaxxers. In other words, I not only agree with UKYank on GMOs, but also have zero respect for people who flee in terror from what is essentially selective breeding made efficient. Oh well. At least the person who pushes aside the plate of drought-resistant corn doesn't endanger my health and wellbeing.

It all seemed pretty clear to me, but maybe I shouldn't post after a long day of work.

As far as food expenses go, like most everything else you do get what you pay for, but there's a point when marginal returns drastically diminish, depending on the food in question and the subjective tastes of the person eating it. Grass-fed beef? Yes, please. Organic white flour? Makes absolutely no difference to me.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:38 PM

Thanks for clarifying, it makes more sense now.

I'm not sure of UKYank's scientific training, or if he was referring to the health benefits of growing or eating organic (or both/neither.) While there is some contradictory research on the consumable end, I don't believe there is much question about the negative impact of pesticides and herbicides on the environment.

Regarding GMOs and their potential negative effects, are you referring to health risks? Because I believe the jury is out on that. But my personal concern with GMOs has much more to do with the propriety rights of big ag, who are gaining nearly total control of the food supply in this country. And again, the increased use of herbicides associated with GMO crops.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:05 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,946,289 times
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying, it makes more sense now.

I'm not sure of UKYank's scientific training, or if he was referring to the health benefits of growing or eating organic (or both/neither.) While there is some contradictory research on the consumable end, I don't believe there is much question about the negative impact of pesticides and herbicides on the environment.

Regarding GMOs and their potential negative effects, are you referring to health risks? Because I believe the jury is out on that. But my personal concern with GMOs has much more to do with the propriety rights of big ag, who are gaining nearly total control of the food supply in this country. And again, the increased use of herbicides associated with GMO crops.
I never would have guessed a thread on Del's would evolve into a discussion on the science of organics and GMOs.

That said, your point is really the nub of the conversation: food safety and security. We know how to deal with the occasional e-coli in an organically grown vegetable. We don't know how to deal with the increase in diabetes, juvenile obesity, ADD and a host of other health issues that have trended up since the advent of industrial agriculture (which includes HFCS, artificial sweeteners and whatnot).

We also don't know how to deal with the long-term (or even short-term) environmental effects of monoculture industrial farming, nor are we prepared to deal with the inevitable issues regarding GMO crops, particularly the "Round-Up Ready" kind, which will continually push indigenous crops to the side until those are extinct and all that's left is what Monsanto, Dow, ADM, et.al. allow to be grown. Which, because nature always has its way, will be vulnerable to yet-to-be-determined pests and diseases.

So people can complain all they want about "organic". At least we know what it is. It's completely shortsighted to want to see segment of the market go away.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:53 AM

And we haven't even mentioned antibiotic resistance and superbug development and industrial livestock!

In an attempt to bring this back to my original comment about cheap food, I believe the perception of organic, non-GMO, grass fed, free-range, etc need to change. These are not foods for the elite, hipsters, or those who want the"best." The problem with our cheap food is that it comes with a hidden cost, much known, some unknown.

Agree this thread totally jumped the shark...and I readlly DO want Del's to become an awesome Italian place.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
And we haven't even mentioned antibiotic resistance and superbug development and industrial livestock!

In an attempt to bring this back to my original comment about cheap food, I believe the perception of organic, non-GMO, grass fed, free-range, etc need to change. These are not foods for the elite, hipsters, or those who want the"best." The problem with our cheap food is that it comes with a hidden cost, much known, some unknown.

Agree this thread totally jumped the shark...and I readlly DO want Del's to become an awesome Italian place.
It would be nice if awesome Italian and Bloomfield weren't mutually exclusive.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 09-19-2015 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: iPhone auto-complete be feisty--thanks, Jay!

Old 09-21-2015, 07:29 AM

556 posts, read 1,222,977 times
By the way... Marianne from Dels is now working the jewelry counter at Macys in Ross Park Mall, took me a while to figure out where I knew her from
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh