Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 06:55 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,147,179 times

Advertisements

We may be moving to the area next year from Arizona where there is zero corrosion on car bodies. How bad is it in Pittsburgh?nIs it comparable to upstate New York? Much better? - Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 07:06 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,489,993 times
well, lets just say you won't have to worry about interior sun damage/fading

and save a few bucks for tires to replace the ones that become victims of potholes.

It is probably worse than upstate NY (depending on where in upstate) due to the greater steepness of the hills. Probably a little less snow though.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:29 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,775,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
well, lets just say you won't have to worry about interior sun damage/fading

and save a few bucks for tires to replace the ones that become victims of potholes.

It is probably worse than upstate NY (depending on where in upstate) due to the greater steepness of the hills. Probably a little less snow though.

Depends on what you mean by "Upstate NY". If you're talking about western NY, that's a whole different animal, because of the insane amounts of snow. If you mean upstate as in Albany, Troy, Newburgh, etc., it's probably worse here because the hills require the use of large amounts of salt.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:39 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,489,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Depends on what you mean by "Upstate NY". If you're talking about western NY, that's a whole different animal, because of the insane amounts of snow. If you mean upstate as in Albany, Troy, Newburgh, etc., it's probably worse here because the hills require the use of large amounts of salt.
yep..that's what I said. depends on where in upstate

Old 09-20-2015, 07:44 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,349,214 times
The suburbs and Penndot started using a brine on the roads, it has been horrible on cars, mailbox posts, and concrete driveways. After the snow stops and the roads are dry wash the underside of your car.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:44 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,775,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
yep..that's what I said. depends on where in upstate
I just mentioned that because people in Buffalo, and Rochester don't consider that to be "Upstate NY". They consider it to be "Western NY", while people in NYC generally consider everything outside of the metro to be "upstate".

Old 09-20-2015, 09:33 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,563,467 times
The last two winters were unbearable.

Otherwise, they are usually just bad.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
The last two winters were unbearable.

Otherwise, they are usually just bad.
OK, that's a huge relief ... not

Old 09-20-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Thanks, that's where my wife is from and I'm vaguely familiar with the badness there. Ugh.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:39 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,759,267 times
I drive an 18-year old car that has handled the winters well since I moved here in 2006. I noticed some rust on the body last year for the first time, just below the gas cap. Some suspension parts have some rust as well, but considering the age of the car it's not too bad. But it was driven in FL for the first 10 years of it's life, so I'm sure that helped it's longevity.

They use a ton of salt and other chemicals here, so the best thing you can do in the winter is go through a car wash with an undercarriage spray once a week when there is salt on the roads. Also, don't pull into a warm garage right after driving through the salt and snow. Warm temps accelerate the corrosion process. So you're better off leaving it outside in the cold until you get a chance to wash it. And it certainly helps to give your car a fresh coat of the best wax you have sometime in November to offer some paint protection before the dead of winter hits.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh