Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 03:27 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
If people want to charge a lot to park, people just won't go there that often. If you want to ban private vehicles and make life a living hell for suburbanites, it just isn't going to happen. People will find a way just to avoid the aggravation.
I don't see how taking a few parking spots and narrowing a couple of lanes is anything at all comparable to banning private vehicles or making life a living hell for anybody. Sometimes, it seems like any alternative to transportation by private, fossil-fuel powered automobile is perceived as a threat by some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 04:09 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT2MAD View Post
For those asking for registration fees/insurance for cyclists, almost every cyclist I've ever met has been willing to pay a nominal fee (proportional to the risk they incur upon the public, which statistically is negligable) for registration and isurance if it ensured that there would be a somewhat proportional investment in infrastructure, public awareness, and an acceptance by society as a viable means of getting around an urban environment.
Charge me if you want, just don't insult my intelligence by claiming my 160 pound ass on a 20 lbs bike is as much of a threat to public safety in an urban environment as your 1.5 ton car. That's just silly.
The risk is a lot higher than you are letting on too.

Bicycle riders are injured regularly, and sometimes incur very large medical bills. The risk posed isn't that "nominal" at all, particularly in regards to the damage they can do to themselves.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:14 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT2MAD View Post
Don't insult my intelligence by claiming my 160 pound ass on a 20 lbs bike is as much of a threat to public safety in an urban environment as your 1.5 ton car.
I have never had a 1.5 ton car, or its driver, sneak up behind me silently on the sidewalk, then hiss in my ear "ON YOUR LEFT." Never. Not one time. It used to happen all the time in DC, and now it's happening here.

GET A BELL, BIKERS.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:16 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I have never had a 1.5 ton car, or its driver, sneak up behind me silently on the sidewalk, then hiss in my ear "ON YOUR LEFT." Never. Not one time. It used to happen all the time in DC, and now it's happening here.

GET A BELL, BIKERS.
Yes. The bell is needed. But I have had cars sneak up behind me when I was on the sidewalk. Because parking norms around here are strange.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:44 PM

387 posts, read 471,214 times
I honestly just want the bicycles off of the sidewalks at least in the city.
I don't really care what they do in Iowa, & at least from my point of view, I'm not hostility driven, it's common sense. I do want to have Pittsburgh be more walkable, not less. There are far more pedestrians that cyclists.

It's just not a good idea with our aging population, the amount of houses that open right onto the sidewalks, children that play in the tiny front yards without fences & also on the sidewalk, people walking dogs, carrying groceries, & joggers, handicapped people, crappy street lights, then add in the businesses that put seating outside, bus stops full of people, benches, trees, & garbage night, hilly/windy terrain, there's just too much going on already.

I've seen many a time people bicycling on the side walk when it suits them, despite an entirely open street.

I drive every day too. I could care less about the bike lanes, or some lost parking down town, I deal with it all.
I do however want to be able to leisurely walk down a sidewalk without being buzzed by a bike, with a hard of hearing, slow grandma, a dog & some little kids. You know--to relax--I don't want to be forced to remain hyper-vigilant & watching the sideWALK the same as if I were walking in the street.

As homeowners, we are forced to maintain our sidewalks, which costs $$, though we do not own them. Since I have to pay for my side walk--I want to pay for people to WALK or JOG or use their hover-round or walker or guide-stick, I don't even care if the kids are playing with their big wheels & tricycles.

Comparing joggers to a person on a bike isn't the same thing.

of course, Yinzer that I am, I'm wanting to let my Yinzer flag fly, I'm just gonna put a chair or two out on my sidewalk--or, on 2nd thought, an aluminum glider.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:30 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
So, should I close this thread until some of you actually learn to discuss ? Because if it keeps going the way it's going, I will have to.
Seriously, what's the appeal of posting emotional sensationalist rants instead of being calm and respectful ? Why is it better to post wild strawmen instead of facts ?
Think about it.
Yac.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:26 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
So, should I close this thread until some of you actually learn to discuss ? Because if it keeps going the way it's going, I will have to.
Seriously, what's the appeal of posting emotional sensationalist rants instead of being calm and respectful ? Why is it better to post wild strawmen instead of facts ?
Think about it.
Yac.
I realize over in Europe, where urban planning is a bit ahead of us, the idea of "complete streets" with cyclists, pedestrians, motor scooters, and cars/trucks sharing space with peace and harmony isn't such a foreign concept, but here in Pittsburgh the mantra has been "CARS FIRST---OUTTA MY WAY!!!" for generations. It's frustrating, and hopefully more and more of these people will be dying each year like the dinosaurs.

The city has literally gone from having very few cyclists on the roads here when I moved to Pittsburgh in 2010 to having so many now that I routinely see cyclists struggling to pass slower-moving cyclists on busy narrow streets now in 2015. This is of course a wonderful thing, but the sudden increase in cycling here is apparently jarring to many suburbanites who still have that "OUTTA MY WAY!!!" mentality.

There's been a lot of friction and tension here because this city finally has a good, progressive mayor who is championing "complete streets", and since only a small fraction of the regional population actually lives IN the city because of our horrible sprawl problem, the majority of the suburbanites are squawking now.

I drive 8-10 hours per day; 6 days per week. If one of my deliveries takes an extra 30 seconds because I waited to SAFELY pass a cyclist with a four-foot buffer zone, then so be it. I don't know why I witness so many other drivers being such *#@^$&'s to cyclists on a daily basis.

Our region needs to stop whining; stomach a tax increase (our taxes AREN'T that high---and this is coming from someone who already pays a self-employment tax most of you DON'T pay); and fund more commuter rail lines to the suburbs. Maybe if someone in Cranberry Township or Monroeville could hop onto the "T" and get to Oakland or Downtown in roughly the same amount of time as if they had to sit in traffic in their own cars, then all of this bellyaching about cyclists sharing the roads could stop. I never saw an area so opposed to mass transit in my life. Probably explains why traffic congestion is worsening here while our city's population is continuing to decline.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:43 AM

831 posts, read 878,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
It's frustrating, and hopefully more and more of these people will be dying each year
Not for nothin, but it's sad to read something that so casually discusses "Hope" for other people's death.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:47 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
Not for nothin, but it's sad to read something that so casually discusses "Hope" for other people's death.
If the same sentence was said about bike riders, it would be considered a 'rant'. But since it's not, it's ok.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:49 AM

831 posts, read 878,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
If the same sentence was said about bike riders, it would be considered a 'rant'. But since it's not, it's ok.
I've never wished or hoped for people to die. That's a level of sickness that confounds me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh