Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 05:47 PM

419 posts, read 445,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
It really is like a strange cult. People become obsessed with Wegman's. I work with a couple of people from upstate NY and they talk about Wegman's like tween girls talk about boy bands. I have shopped at a couple and they were nice stores, but there was nothing particularly orgasmic about it. Maybe I did it wrong?
Did you ask about the "special" that they have back in the store room? That's the best part of the experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 06:46 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
I have shopped at a Wegman’s many times and let me tell you.......it is just another grocery store. I saw no difference between it and a Market District. Prices, perhaps, but the times I was at them I wasn’t really doing a comparison. It’s basically like the WaWa obsession, it’s just a Sheetz or a GetGo but people talk about it like it is something mystical. In the end they are just gas stations that sell fast food, or a grocery store that has a pre-made section.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:51 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Kind of like North Shore bars and other bars. "Different but same".

Old 10-20-2015, 07:21 PM

419 posts, read 445,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I have shopped at a Wegman’s many times and let me tell you.......it is just another grocery store. I saw no difference between it and a Market District. Prices, perhaps, but the times I was at them I wasn’t really doing a comparison. It’s basically like the WaWa obsession, it’s just a Sheetz or a GetGo but people talk about it like it is something mystical. In the end they are just gas stations that sell fast food, or a grocery store that has a pre-made section.
It's the old 'want what we don't have' syndrome. Chipotle used to be talked of in this manner. Now it like "Big flip." When Moe's Southwest Grill opened in Market Square six or seven years ago, there was a line going through Market Square to get in. Now many people seem to want it gone. There are plenty of options in Pittsburgh to get your four food groups in a whole mish mash of ways.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:07 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
Here we go again "Wegman's..Oh Wegman's...How I long for thee!"

Boy that grocery store must be something else. Do they have scantily clad cashiers, deli clerks etc?

How is what they sell head an shoulders above any store in the Pittsburgh region?

I have no doubt in my mind that it is a nice store. I just hear so many people wax poetic when they talk about it act like Pittsburgh will never reach the big time until it gets one because the shopping experience sounds as it akin to the best sex you ever had. Is it really true?
Yes. It is. I have to say I prefer the NY stores over the one in Erie. The selection and quality is 2x as good as any market district. The stores are cleaner and have a better layout. The staff is much friendlier (not the Walmart attitude). The prepared food/deli section is...let's just say...I wander around undecided a lot. Wegman's isn't cheap depending on the item but the prices are reasonable for the quality.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:12 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
I ****ing hate food snobs. I'm sorry that two of the 60 apples on the display were bruised; just grab one of the other 58 and shut the **** up already!

Old 10-20-2015, 08:18 PM

I've yet to find a prepared food that was better than anything you can order from a decent restaurant. I'm all for convenience and they are convenient but still sit there, for the most part waiting for someone to come along.

Wegman's is nice but nothing to go crazy for, however...and how many times a week does the average person grocery shop and buy prepared food.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:23 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Big Bird was a chain of grocery stores in Columbus. They went broke and Giant Eagle bought them. I'm not kidding.
Big Bear, not Big Bird.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:27 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I've yet to find a prepared food that was better than anything you can order from a decent restaurant. I'm all for convenience and they are convenient but still sit there, for the most part waiting for someone to come along.

Wegman's is nice but nothing to go crazy for, however...and how many times a week does the average person grocery shop and buy prepared food, there?
You can't really compare Giant Eagle to Wegman's as a chain. Wegman's doesn't have a bunch of regular stores like Giant Eagle does. It would be like all Giant Eagles being Market District stores.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
You can't really compare Giant Eagle to Wegman's as a chain. Wegman's doesn't have a bunch of regular stores like Giant Eagle does. It would be like all Giant Eagles being Market District stores.
I don't worry about what's a chain and what isn't. What's good is good. I only shop at the GE Market District in Cranberry unless I'm out of town so can't speak for non MD GE's.

When I'm in Erie, however, I certainly don't run to Peach St. because there's a Wegman's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh