Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 07:18 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
The answer to the question, is that black people tend to move into areas adjacent to where they already live. Thus, because Homewood has had black people since the 1860's, as Homewood became all black, the population spread into adjacent Wilkinsburg, and then Penn Hills, and Monroeville. The old saying that Pittsburghers don't cross the rivers is largely true when it comes to where people go when they relocate. Penn Hills is largely the exception because it is the one suburban area where blacks feel comfortable, because it has a substantial black population. I'm in the rental property management business, and you'd be surprised how reluctant people are to consider places in other sections of town. Aspinwall has few blacks because it is adjacent to no areas with a substantial black population, thus it is off the map for most black people. I would guess that before the Waterworks was built, most black people didn't even know where Aspinwall is. Most black people don't want to live in an area where they stand out like a sore thumb, and Aspinwall doesn't have the long standing reputation as an outstanding area like say, Mt. Lebanon, where some people will be willing to be "the fly in the milk", in order to live in such a great area. Aspinwall's reputation as a great place is relatively new, and most people who don't frequent boards like this one, are still oblivious to it.
This is what I was looking for, and it totally makes sense. I don't buy the "it's too far from established Black communities" argument, largely because of its proximity to Homewood, Larimer and East Liberty.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:50 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Penn Hills at one time had a more affluent black population in comparison to what seems to be the norm in Pittsburgh. I keep thinking we will see some influx of black professionals, but we aren't. If I was a black man, I think I would move to Atlanta or DC. I just feel it would be a better feel in those areas because there are so many financially successful black people around. Notice I didn't say "successful" on its own because I certainly don't equate success to money. They have nothing to do with each other in my opinion.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:24 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Sounds like my one out-of-town friend who asked me why there were so many Amish living in Squirrel Hill when I took her around on a Friday night.
Oy Vey! 😎

Old 09-29-2015, 08:36 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
This is what I was looking for, and it totally makes sense. I don't buy the "it's too far from established Black communities" argument, largely because of its proximity to Homewood, Larimer and East Liberty.
Guessing that in the 1970's and 1980's middle class blacks tended to move to Highland Park. In particular the blocks closest to Stanton.

Historically, speaking the PPS system was also bigger and probably much better in the 1970's and 1980's so there wasn't the need to move to the burbs.

Again, I think Aspinwall really started to take off in the mid 1990's. A lot of my friends that are about 50 now began buying houses there. At the time houses were cheap. Probably about 1/3 of the cost now. On the other hand, Higland Park's resurgence is more recent, at least in my opinion.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:55 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,233 times
Quote:
Grosse Pointe and Bethesda are among the most affluent towns in their respective states. Aspinwall, quite simply, is not.
Sure it is. In the Pittsburgh area, houses in the 350k to 450k range are considered upper-end.
Aspinwall, PA Real Estate & Homes for Sale | Trulia
Regardless, there are plenty of solidly middle-class suburbs in the area, such as Shaler, Moon, Green Tree, etc., etc., etc. that are mostly white. And I've never found that to be shocking. Allegheny County is 85% white, after all.

Last edited by fat lou; 09-29-2015 at 10:29 AM..

Old 09-29-2015, 10:09 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,233 times
Quote:
It's really not, though. I've lived across the river from Aspinwall all of my life, and I went to school in East Liberty. East Lib and Aspinwall are in completely separate parts of town. They may be somewhat close to each other on the map, but not on the ground.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:41 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
It's really not, though. I've lived across the river from Aspinwall all of my life, and I went to school in East Liberty. East Lib and Aspinwall are in completely separate parts of town. They may be somewhat close to each other on the map, but not on the ground.
There is a river with one of those bridges a'nat. Not to mention the zoo. It does seem far, but I have walked it a few times and it is a nice walk to be honest. Especially if you go through the woods on that nice trail.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:20 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Quote:
.... but Aspinwall's median household income is only 42k, so it's not exactly cost-prohibitive.
I don't think Aspinwall's median household income is 42,000. The figure I found is 55,000. That doesn't explain the lack of diversity in Aspinwall. However, Aspinwall's median home price (couldn't find the best number but I think it is close to 300,000) in relation to its median income does play a part.

My take is that newer residents of Aspinwall are significantly more affluent than long time Aspinwall residents.

Last edited by robrobrob; 09-29-2015 at 11:29 AM..

Old 09-29-2015, 12:13 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I don't think Aspinwall's median household income is 42,000. The figure I found is 55,000. That doesn't explain the lack of diversity in Aspinwall. However, Aspinwall's median home price (couldn't find the best number but I think it is close to 300,000) in relation to its median income does play a part.

My take is that newer residents of Aspinwall are significantly more affluent than long time Aspinwall residents.
Remember there are a ton of rentals in Aspinwall which would bring average incomes down. You can live relatively cheap there IF you can find a place to rent.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:06 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post

I just ran the MLS: Average sale price is $264,000 based on 71 sales in the last 24 months. A low SP of 67k and a high of 470k.
Not a big fan of high prices and postage stamp sized lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh