Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 5,241 times

Advertisements

I would like to open a Bar/lounge in New Kenningston. There are many available buildings around 9th st. I would like any and all oppinions regarding the town, the area, and the idea. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 09:33 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,071,152 times
There are many, many, bars in New Kensington. Some are pretty slimy, but then again, some are quite nice with pleasant crowds. My parents, who are a lovely middle class family frequent a place called Phillips quite a lot in New Ken, they love their fish fries. I couldn't tell you if there is room for another, it seems bars are always coming and going in New Ken, but if you're lucky enough, your's could take hold, there isn't a lack of patrons, that's for sure.

As for New Kensington.. what can I say? It was ONCE an extremely nice and flourishing city. Before my time, people from all over came to downtown New Kensington to shop and play. It was run by an extremely renown Italian family called the Mannarino's. They were corrupt, no doubt, put they kept New Kensington safe and clean (believe it or not). Then Section 8 housing came in (for whatever purpose) and slowly but surely, destroyed New Kensington, and that's the honest to god truth. Now, downtown New Kensington can be a fairly scary place. It was once ranked among the most STD ridden cities in America. It is made up nearly of all African American and very low-income white families (which I'm not saying is bad thing, just a fact).

That being said, several downtown streets are still okay that have tidy, little, bars and eateries. Many parts of New Kensington are still fairly nice, especially the further you are from the river and closer to Lower Burrell. A little part of New Ken called Mount Vernon is a charming place. There are also pockets of nice areas near downtown. Anyway, according to my dad, 9th St isn't a terrible area, although it IS downtown. It isn't very close to the projects which is a good thing. However, he says there is very little in that area to draw people and they don't get much foot traffic. You would have to advertise and do something "right" to get clients into your place and keep them. :P

The one good thing about New Ken is that it borders some really nice towns, including Lower Burrell (pre-mentioned and where I'm from), Upper Burrell, Plum, and Oakmont to name a few.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:22 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Basic rule: The farther uphill you go, the better things get in New Kensington.

The area is riddled with drug and prostitution problems on a mass scale in the low lying areas.

Buy at a higher elevation!

Old 08-21-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Buy at a higher elevation!
Unfortunately, 9th St is definitely not high elevation. You'll have to visit the street and decide yourself what you think. Like I said, there are some pockets in New Ken that have thriving businesses. It's really hit or miss. And yet, upper New Ken doesn't have a bar crowd. It's like a Catch 22.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 9,771 times
Default Downtown New Ken is a no no!

I agree with all of the past posts. I spent 3 years working in downtown New Kensington (specifically Arnold) and have witnessed first hand the drugs, prostitution, fights. It's a bad, bad area. I would recommend the Cheswick area maybe. Lower Burrell and Natrona Heights are still very nice too.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:08 AM

214 posts, read 241,861 times
I worked in New Ken as a intern for three summers. That area is bad, the downtown is bombed out. There is nothing but vacant store fronts everywhere.

On the other hand. I really think New Ken would come back. It has a great downtown area that is very walkable, great old architecture, and it is a shame the buildings are vacant. I did a photo thread of New Ken on skyscraperpage.com to show the potential of New Ken. I really think if those old buildings were turned into apartments, offices, and retail this place would be great. I for one think it is a great oppertunity of a town to try to re-invest in. However, that area needs an economy first.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I worked in New Ken as a intern for three summers. That area is bad, the downtown is bombed out. There is nothing but vacant store fronts everywhere.

On the other hand. I really think New Ken would come back. It has a great downtown area that is very walkable, great old architecture, and it is a shame the buildings are vacant. I did a photo thread of New Ken on skyscraperpage.com to show the potential of New Ken. I really think if those old buildings were turned into apartments, offices, and retail this place would be great. I for one think it is a great oppertunity of a town to try to re-invest in. However, that area needs an economy first.
You aren't the first person to believe so. Before all this Waterfront/Southside Works/Pittsburgh Mills came about, there was always talk to try and revitalize downtown New Kensington into something like the waterfront. There still is talk, actually, and truthfully, I'm not convinced it can't even work. There are a lot of nice towns around New Kensington and there are plenty of people on that side of Westmoreland County. They don't have much in terms of retail unless they cross a river which is like blasphemous to the folks from Westmoreland County. You would think "across the bridge" was like "across the sierra" the way they grumble when they have to do it!

Certain parts of New Kensington are still more than fine. Giant Eagle New Ken is one of the most profitable and heavily trafficked Giant Eagle's in the entire chain and it has a nice crowd if you ask me!

Old 09-27-2007, 02:26 PM

51 posts, read 49,902 times
I was never afraid to go to New Ken. I've heard plenty of horror stories about it, but to be honest...the place has always just seemed to be another dead town near Pittsburgh. Nothing special good or bad. Verona, Springdale, New Ken, etc....all give me the same vibe: "I don't wanna be here, this sucks". The only town in that little stretch of the river that's half decent is Oakmont. Oakmont looks somewhat pretty, but there's not to much to do there except eat and/or drink in a bar. Then again, I just described most of Pittsburgh as far as the "to do" list.

One thing about New Ken (and surrounding communities): I wouldn't try to open a bar there. People in that valley are very local-oriented, and like someone else said here about the "Italian family" who "used" to "run" New Ken: are you sure they don't still? Better to not take a chance. It would be too bad if you-a well-meaning "outsider" rolled into town and opened up a new pub. Some of the long-time bar/pub owners in New Ken might not be so happy about that. And IF that um, "Italian family" still exists in New Ken, then guess what: the current bar owners might be slipping a little money every month to them to insure themselves some protection against well-meaning business people coming in. Then u end up with a bunch of problems.

New Ken WAS notorious for that kind of thing, and if it were me, I wouldn't take a chance, because that "element" might still be there. Do you really need that kind of a headache?

Old 09-27-2007, 02:30 PM

24 posts, read 31,754 times
Your "to do" list of Pittsburgh is pretty narrow in my point of view. Maybe if you only choose to eat or be in a bar. There is hundreds of other things to do there. Maybe in New Ken, but I wouldn't say that about Pittsburgh.

Also, I like Verona, and Springdale. Cheswick is nice also. They are nothing close to New Ken.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
someone else said here about the "Italian family" who "used" to "run" New Ken: are you sure they don't still?
Uh, yeah, pretty positive. LOL.

Quote:
Also, I like Verona, and Springdale. Cheswick is nice also. They are nothing close to New Ken.
Yeah, I agree. Oakmont has some extremely desirable and beautiful streets. Some of those homes aren't cheap! Believe me. He's just talking a lot of hot air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh