Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 03:39 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,931,019 times

Advertisements

For a good retrospective of the Hill, get the DVD of WQED's "Wylie Avenue Days." Host Chris Moore narrates and the documentary shows old movies and photos and a history of the Hill, including the jazz clubs, locally-owned drug stores, dress shops, and all the ethnic groups that used to call it home. Very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 04:01 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,775,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
They look like townhouses in Cranberry.��
The problem with Cranberry isn't the buildings, it's the way they're arranged, and the general layout of the area. Hell, Friendship is basically Cranberry located in the city, with an urban layout.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:08 PM

41,018 posts, read 17,996,129 times
I feel the same way about the arrangement and layout in that pic. Being way too close to each other and street parking have zero appeal to me...although the chairs saving parking spots in the winter are pretty interesting.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:38 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,575,886 times
I'll bite. I have no beef with Cranberry, but how is Friendship an urbanized Cranberry? The pickup truck? The large house? I never saw a parking chair in Friendship, either, not that I've been looking.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
I'll bite. I have no beef with Cranberry, but how is Friendship an urbanized Cranberry? The pickup truck? The large house? I never saw a parking chair in Friendship, either, not that I've been looking.
By the late 19th Century versions of the McMansion that are all over Friendship. Cranberry is often vilified for being the land of McMansions. If the big houses of Cranberry were close to the city, and in an urban layout, it would look like a modern version of Friendship.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:14 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,824,069 times
Except the houses in Friendship look as if they might last another hundred years or more. McMansions look as if they're made to be replaced within, say, a generation, particularly on the inside. And this isn't true just of Cranberry (and I have no objection to anyone's wanting to live there, btw). I have friends who live in an equally McMansion-y subdivision in Maryland. Their house just doesn't look as if it intends to be there in 2115.

Last edited by jay5835; 10-02-2015 at 07:30 PM..

Old 10-02-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Except the houses in Friendship look as if they might last another hundred years or more. McMansions look as if they're made to be replaced within, say, a generation, particularly on the inside. And this isn't true just of Cranberry (and I have no objection to anyone's wanting to live there, btw). I have friends who live in an equally McMansion-y subdivision in Maryland. Their house just doesn't look as if it intends to be there in 2115.
Nothing built today is meant to last. Buyers don't care, just as long as it lasts for the 25-30 years they need before they move to the retirement home.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:21 PM

12,528 posts, read 17,439,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Nothing built today is meant to last. Buyers don't care, just as long as it lasts for the 25-30 years they need before they move to the retirement home.
I'll agree somewhat. Newer homes just don't have the quality of construction of homes built prior to the '70s. Back then hardwood floors, ceramic bathrooms and plaster walls were pretty much standard. New homes today are 0 for 3, unless you go high end. Just the way it is.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:11 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,621,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I'll agree somewhat. Newer homes just don't have the quality of construction of homes built prior to the '70s. Back then hardwood floors, ceramic bathrooms and plaster walls were pretty much standard. New homes today are 0 for 3, unless you go high end. Just the way it is.
Even the higher end new construction isn't all that great. We recently did a remodel in a newer home in an upscale development in the South Hills. While it was much better than lower end new construction, I wasn't all that impressed. The upgrades we did were far superior to the original work.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:25 PM

12,528 posts, read 17,439,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Even the higher end new construction isn't all that great. We recently did a remodel in a newer home in an upscale development in the South Hills. While it was much better than lower end new construction, I wasn't all that impressed. The upgrades we did were far superior to the original work.
I'm talking 500K and up, no Maronda, Ryan, and that ilk. Even then, it's a crapshoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh