Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 12:05 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicheart7 View Post
I'm surprised to hear that you feel like there is a 'yuppie' population in Pittsburgh. Why is this? Is it from all the Eastern transplants? I'd like to know more, and understand your experiences and what led you to make that comment. I'm a very unique person who values being different and cultivating my own identity, whether people like me and my opinions or not. So I'm a bit concerned that I won't fit in here - since the sort of people you're describing are a LOT like the people in my home town of West Chester (a place that I would never wish on anyone to live or hail from!). It's great to hear there's a big art community. I definitely want to make friends with other artists. So the more welcoming it is, the better.

I have lived all over the country. Why is Pittsburgh yuppie? Eastern transplants, revitalization, and the hipster trend. I moved here in the 00s and the city was much different. More Midwest blue collar but hip. The city changed. When I first arrived Pittsburgh was pretty average across the board and there was more social equality. Today there is much starker difference between the haves and the have nots. I have friends who have been pressured into buying certain brand items for their kids so they won't be bullied at school. One friend told me she was embarrassed to let new people know what subdivision she moved to. So yes, you will get the yuppie stuff here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicheart7 View Post
Thanks so much for getting back to me. I just was inspired to create a new thread in the Charlotte forum about this since it was one of my top choices besides Pittsburgh. I am going to PM you since we're discussing another city here and I don't want to confuse anyone. It's wonderful to hear another of my top choices has a vibrant arts scene. Anyway, I sent you a friend request if you're willing to discuss more about it with me, and you seem quite knowledgable so it'd be a life saver to have your input!

I agree that the chain store issue probably isn't the biggest deal. I was somewhat concerned about the way the person worded it, since they made it out for Charlotte to seem like a Capitalist jungle (LOL), but I'll take it with a grain of salt.
You have to realize too that Charlotte is a newer city so there will be more sprawl. The best thing to do is ask in the Charlotte forum since I live in Pittsburgh. I would also check out the other cities. For instance, Asheville has a totally different vibe than Charlotte.

I will add that I do visit and keep up with artist friends still down there but the best thing to do is to ask the locals.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:17 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I have lived all over the country. Why is Pittsburgh yuppie? Eastern transplants, revitalization, and the hipster trend. I moved here in the 00s and the city was much different. More Midwest blue collar but hip. The city changed. When I first arrived Pittsburgh was pretty average across the board and there was more social equality. Today there is much starker difference between the haves and the have nots. I have friends who have been pressured into buying certain brand items for their kids so they won't be bullied at school. One friend told me she was embarrassed to let new people know what subdivision she moved to. So yes, you will get the yuppie stuff here.
Many who have lived in and around da burgh for a long period of time have become much more sensitive as things aren't as they were "back in the day". Being concerned with who is coming and going, along with $$$ coming in, yuppies, hipsters, etc..., should really be of no concern. It's going to happen whether one likes it or not. While there are some that dislike it, there are more behind them that prefer it. Whether one sees it as better or worse, it's called change.

Brand names, bullying, etc..., while ridiculous, has been going on for decades. Nothing new.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:25 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
I moved here in the 00s and the city was much different. More Midwest blue collar but hip. The city changed. When I first arrived Pittsburgh was pretty average across the board and there was more social equality.
I moved here in the 00s also. I had been living in North Carolina (Research Triangle) before I got here. I didn't notice any decline in the amount of art around me. Mostly I missed cheap Mexican food and being able to buy beer in the grocery store.

I also haven't noticed Pittsburgh becoming less Midwestern. It's never been particularly Midwestern says somebody who grew-up in the Midwest. Pittsburgh is certainly not less friendly that it was a dozen years ago. Maybe out in the burbs or something. I don't go there enough to know. The city has gotten visibly very much younger over that time, and a bit wealthier.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:28 PM

49 posts, read 58,593 times
Quote:
Quote:
You have to realize too that Charlotte is a newer city so there will be more sprawl. The best thing to do is ask in the Charlotte forum since I live in Pittsburgh. I would also check out the other cities. For instance, Asheville has a totally different vibe than Charlotte.

I will add that I do visit and keep up with artist friends still down there but the best thing to do is to ask the locals.
Wow, sounds a lot like some areas outside of Philly. I have to admit that is a bit troubling. I hate that kind of stuff personally - those sorts of elitist and conformist attitudes annoy me. I guess the best thing to do at this point is to just go out and visit, maybe try to make friends with some locals beforehand somehow, and see what happens when I'm there for a few days.

I see what you're saying about Charlotte. The city being new doesn't bother me so much. I like how it's closely located to many other big cities in the state, just a few hours away. I've heard a lot about Asheville but it doesn't seem like a good fit for me. I did post in the Charlotte forum and I received a few responses already.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:31 PM

49 posts, read 58,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Many who have lived in and around da burgh for a long period of time have become much more sensitive as things aren't as they were "back in the day". Being concerned with who is coming and going, along with $$$ coming in, yuppies, hipsters, etc..., should really be of no concern. It's going to happen whether one likes it or not. While there are some that dislike it, there are more behind them that prefer it. Whether one sees it as better or worse, it's called change.

Brand names, bullying, etc..., while ridiculous, has been going on for decades. Nothing new.
I think this is a good point, too. It's kind of inevitable to experience this high influx of change in large cities wherever you go. Honestly I am annoyed by yuppie attitudes and people being obsessed with brand names, etc. but as long as this particular attitude doesn't dominate and overwhelm the city, it's fine. I think every city has its mix of personalities, it's a bit troubling to hear that these personalities exist in Pittsburgh since I'm trying to get away from elitists in the Philly 'burbs, but I can only find out by going out to visit Pittsburgh and seeing for myself.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:34 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
"These personalities" exist most everywhere. Some places just more than others. Someone leaving one area for another is often passing someone who is doing the same. If there was a perfect area for everyone, there wouldn't be room to move.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:59 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
I would never refer to Pgh as brand obsessed or yuppie. Yes there are yuppies, yes there are people that are brand-obsessed, but it is not the general vibe of the place.

My advice to you, in an attempt to avoid elitist people is to avoid places were people that generally are brand aware live. Places like Spring Garden/Brookline/Troy Hill are not going to be full of elitists or brand obsessed people, almost to a fault. Only able to speak to the one I live in, but Brookline has a cool little coffee shop that proudly displays local artists work which are for sale, and at one point I believe there was even a gallery show there and a few other local shops. With the soon to open book store, I imagine the artist support will continue to grow.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:06 PM

373 posts, read 378,128 times
nomadicheart7, you should know that bluecarebear is almost unanimously known to post misleading negative things about Pittsburgh. No one is sure why he feels the need to do this, there is plenty of accurate, fair negative things that can be said about Pittsburgh, but he goes right on with it anyway. Couple this with his obsession with Sun Belt cities like Atlanta and Charlotte and you can pretty much write your own bluecarebear post generator at this point.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProFiction View Post
nomadicheart7, you should know that bluecarebear is almost unanimously known to post misleading negative things about Pittsburgh. No one is sure why he feels the need to do this, there is plenty of accurate, fair negative things that can be said about Pittsburgh, but he goes right on with it anyway. Couple this with his obsession with Sun Belt cities like Atlanta and Charlotte and you can pretty much write your own bluecarebear post generator at this point.
I never told her to move to Atlanta. I never told her to move to many cities in the south. I based my reply strictly on my experience as an artist. I also LOVE Ohio. I never brought up looking at Cleveland. Here are other examples of what artists can experience in Charlotte: Festival In The Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh