Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 03:51 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

Most people probably know Fox Chapel is the number 1 suburb in our region, but it actually ranks nationally. Even in the top 10 NATIONALLY.

Fox Chapel Ranked Among Best Suburbs In America | Pittsburgh Sun Times

RANKED: The 50 best suburbs in America - Business Insider

Time to have a nice single malt in celebration on the south terrace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 04:07 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
If it weren't for the liquor, drink, flood, etc..., taxes it surely would've been higher.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:09 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
Not that I disagree about FC being a great suburb in our area, and depending upon how you look at it one of the better I've been to, but did you see the top ranking on the list? New Albany, OH. Have you ever been to New Albany, OH? I have, as I spend a lot of time working there. It sucks. Flat out terrible suburb, with mostly new, disgusting construction - nothing near on par with some of the historical and at the very least high quality construction in FC - and flat as can be. Seriously, there's very little interesting going on in New Albany. How can anyone take these rankings seriously?

Also, none of the mainline suburbs of Philly made the top 50?

I think it's about time to ban all ranking threads or at least consolidate into two - best and worst. They're generally useless and just take up space.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:17 PM

New construction and flat land sounds great. Hence opinions and rankings differ.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:20 PM

Commute times, schools are tops. One thing people may not know that I personally love. Fox Chapel is a nature preserve AND there are NO street lights! NONE! That is a huge plus. Can't stand stupid street lights and all that light pollution!

Enjoy all! Time for another single malt. Getting a little chilly, so it is time to relax next to the fire. Doesn't get any better!

Old 10-23-2015, 04:26 PM

110 posts, read 147,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Not that I disagree about FC being a great suburb in our area, and depending upon how you look at it one of the better I've been to, but did you see the top ranking on the list? New Albany, OH. Have you ever been to New Albany, OH? I have, as I spend a lot of time working there. It sucks. Flat out terrible suburb, with mostly new, disgusting construction - nothing near on par with some of the historical and at the very least high quality construction in FC - and flat as can be. Seriously, there's very little interesting going on in New Albany. How can anyone take these rankings seriously?

Also, none of the mainline suburbs of Philly made the top 50?

I think it's about time to ban all ranking threads or at least consolidate into two - best and worst. They're generally useless and just take up space.
New Albany, Ohio is very nice lots of money and population growth going on there. It has a lot going on. The median age of a resident is 37 years old and 87 percent of the population is white with a growing minority population.

Fox chapel is older, smaller and less diverse. It is still a great suburb but new Albany is at least equal if not better.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Velcoro View Post
New Albany, Ohio is very nice lots of money and population growth going on there. It has a lot going on. The median age of a resident is 37 years old and 87 percent of the population is white with a growing minority population.

Fox chapel is older, smaller and less diverse.
Diversity in what way? Color of skin or actual diversity, meaning people from other countries. Tons of Asian, Indian (dot) and more are in The Borough, that doesn't get reported as diversity. I wouldn't call being diverse some positive. Who has the best school system in the world? Do you think they are "diverse" meaning color? Hardly, unless you feel almost 95% white is diverse.

Enjoy!

Old 10-23-2015, 04:57 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Commute times, schools are tops. One thing people may not know that I personally love. Fox Chapel is a nature preserve AND there are NO street lights! NONE! That is a huge plus. Can't stand stupid street lights and all that light pollution!
!

A lot to be said for keeping it dark and quiet at night.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:01 PM

I had in-laws on Old Mill Rd. Definitely dark and quiet. They had a nice pond. Remember rt.8 being a different story. Middle Rd. wasn't bad, however.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
A lot to be said for keeping it dark and quiet at night.
I don't know of another town that has no street lights in PA. I don't know why you would need them and never understood them. Waste of energy and ugly! Take a flashlight if you need light. Also people in FC have nice lighting around their homes which is more than enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh