Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2015, 12:38 PM

385 posts, read 309,670 times

Advertisements

Also, having grown up in Central PA, I'm aware of just how dependent on subsidies that area is, farms or no. I grew up in Northumberland County and the only good jobs to be had were at the state prison (SCI Coal Township).

(Section 8 and food stamps were the only options a great many people in my rural hometown had to get by. That county didn't go for Obama in 2008 or 2012 though. I wonder why.)

Old 10-30-2015, 12:39 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
You're pulling out world statistics? Seriously?
How's this one for ya?:

Rural/Urban Poverty Gap Narrows | Daily Yonder

It's common knowledge that rural communities here in the US have been plagued by poverty, wish I didn't have to do the research for you...

"Rural poverty rates remained relatively unchanged from 2009, when the rural rate was 16.5%, to the 2010 rate of 16.6%. Urban poverty, however, increased from 13.9% in 2009 to 14.9% in 2010."

Another quote, because I'm sure you can't be bothered to enlighten yourself:
"The federal government has been measuring poverty in urban and rural places since the 1960s, and from the beginning rural America has had higher levels of poverty than the cities."

Old 10-30-2015, 12:41 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Note to self: Don't use numbers in discussing issues with this poster.
This is all way off topic anyway, if want to debate it go to General US. Tons of threads about it. Of course this board is going to have the inner city cheerleaders they don't even like people that live in the suburbs so it's not a big surprise. I just find the prejudice towards rural people laughable and so ironic.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
This is all way off topic anyway, if want to debate it go to General US. Tons of threads about it. Of course this board is going to have the inner city cheerleaders they don't even like people that live in the suburbs so it's not a big surprise. I just find the prejudice towards rural people laughable and so ironic.
Hey, don't come to a gun fight with a rubber band there pal.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Hey, don't come to a gun fight with a rubber band there pal.
Uhm there is no rubber band. There's way less people living in rural areas so the percentages are skewed. I've read all the poverty statistics again this is an old discussion on the General US board and the stats are always manipulated. Detroit has about 39 percent of it's people in poverty do you know how many people that equates to? Compared to 39 percent in a few small counties in southern WV for example?

Old 10-30-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I find that the guy talking about "inner city people" who voted for Obama because of "section 8 and food stamps" is mad about "prejudice towards rural people" to be laughable and so ironic.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Hmm. You "just don't like prejudice (sic) people", yet you know why "most inner city people" voted for Obama? Good one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPizzaHutFan View Post
I find that the guy talking about "inner city people" who voted for Obama because of "section 8 and food stamps" is mad about "prejudice towards rural people" to be laughable and so ironic.

That's not prejudice it's just a fact. Study the county by county breakdown of who voted for him in PA for example. He barely even won Allegheny county. Anyone that knows anything about politics or follows them knows that. I do know where there's a lot of prejudice towards country people though

Old 10-30-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Uhm there is no rubber band. There's way less people living in rural areas so the percentages are skewed. I've read all the poverty statistics again this is an old discussion on the General US board and the stats are always manipulated. Detroit has about 39 percent of it's people in poverty do you know how many people that equates to? Compared to 39 percent in a few small counties in southern WV for example?
But you will have to admit, that the rural people are not "living off the land" and are indeed living off of Uncle Sam.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
But you will have to admit, that the rural people are not "living off the land" and are indeed living off of Uncle Sam.
Some are, many aren't.

Nearly 1 million people now live in poverty in N.J., Census says | NJ.com

Miami's Median Income Is Second Lowest in America; Poverty Is Second Highest | Miami New Times

Obama targets poverty in San Antonio, Philadelphia and other U.S.

1 million people in poverty in NJ? That's like over half the entire state of WV. When you factor in cost of living - it gets even worse for NJ.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Some are, many aren't.

Nearly 1 million people now live in poverty in N.J., Census says | NJ.com

Miami's Median Income Is Second Lowest in America; Poverty Is Second Highest | Miami New Times

Obama targets poverty in San Antonio, Philadelphia and other U.S.

1 million people in poverty in NJ? That's like over half the entire state of WV. When you factor in cost of living - it gets even worse for NJ.
You're aware that NJ south of Freehold is pretty rural, right? Especially south of Vineland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh