Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your MOST COMMON mode of transit and your opinion
I am a CYCLIST and I agree, I'd make some concessions in an attempt at overall peace with the drivers 4 20.00%
I'm a CYCLIST and I disagree, I'll ride how I want, to hell with the motorists, Peduto will bail me out anyways 1 5.00%
I'm a MOTORIST and I agree, I'd exercise more patience if I knew they were following the same rules as me 2 10.00%
I'm a MOTORIST and I disagree, coexistence will never be safe/I'll never be okay with losing parking/driving lanes 2 10.00%
I'm a PEDESTRIAN and I agree, complete streets and cycling initiatives only serve to make me safer, and I agree that the streets are for everyone 3 15.00%
I'm a PEDESTRIAN and I disagree, I'd feel much safer if I only had to worry about motor vehicles while walking the sidewalk or crossing the road 5 25.00%
I do not identify with any of the other options, and I will explain my vote below 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 03:32 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,498,965 times

Advertisements

I don't know of any constitution right to ride a bicycle. Which means states and localities can regulate their use if they choose, just like they regulate motor vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 03:50 PM

618 posts, read 687,886 times
My my, the trolls are hungry today!!

Fortunately, municipalities have no interest in pointless regulation that offers no hint of measurable reduction in the number of bicyclists killed by dangerous motorcars. Please feel free to document counterexamples if they exist. If not, I'll look forward to the next non sequitur.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:57 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,272,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPizzaHutFan View Post
All of this unnecessary regulation is going to destroy jobs!
They took our jobs!

Old 10-29-2015, 04:00 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,144,727 times
As a cyclist, I am not inherently opposed to having tags/registration, but to argue causality between visible tags and better adherence to traffic laws is ridiculous. Increased adherence to traffic laws by cyclists would occur if the current laws on the books were more often and more consistently enforced. The same goes for jaywalking. I don't think you'd make a similar argument that wearing visible tags on their person will make a pedestrian less likely to jaywalk. You know what will make them less likely to jaywalk? Police handing out tickets for jaywalking.

Enacting the Idaho stop rules for bicycles and then strict enforcement of said rules would be a good start.

Some hypotheticals to go along with your visible tagging of cyclists scenario:

1. How large to the tags need to be in order to be visible? If as large as a motor vehicle plate, where do you propose these be mounted?

2. Will a bicycle that is purchased for off road use be exempt from the tagging law? What if you need to ride your mountain bike across a road to access a parking lot?

3. Will bicycles that are purchased new at a shop in town be required to be tagged prior to leaving the shop? What if you purchase a bike out of state? Will there be procedures and requirements in place to make this happen?

Old 10-29-2015, 04:22 PM

2,519 posts, read 2,073,289 times
Ga durka dur!!

Old 10-29-2015, 04:26 PM

2,519 posts, read 2,073,289 times
Bicycle registration is downright un-American. Imagine what the forefathers would have to say about this. Nutty ideas by the pantalooned elite I say!

Old 10-29-2015, 04:32 PM

385 posts, read 307,202 times
I was minding my own business one fine spring morning on my way to the counting house, when a hooligan on a velocipede knocked my tophat off. Zounds!

Old 10-29-2015, 04:37 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,631,860 times
Cars are americas god and religion. Somehow car people have come to assume its all about them. Look around. Everything is based on cars. If you go to a city budget meeting, useful funds are always raided to pay for wasteful and inefficient autocentricity. A lot of bike riders are flaming tools, but regardless, there are more car drivers doing undesirable things than bicycle riders, statistically. The rush hour craziness is not due to bicycles clogging the roads and hitting things. Bicycles are not running people down and killing them. A responsible bicycle rider has a heightened awareness of everything around him/her. They can hear. See more . . . None of that happens in a car. You are numb. Bikes should have their own rules designed to exploit that. To keep them moving through traffic more efficiently. Also, in an urban area, there should be some perks to being the one who makes an effort to use the more responsible mode of transportation. So, I do not identify with any of the options. Its all moot though, Americans are too zealotous about their gods, their cars. They will continue to think its ok to revolve the whole world around them and pave the world over for their car and "convenience". Anything that affronts the religion of cars will have jihad put on it.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:03 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,203,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Cars are americas god and religion. Somehow car people have come to assume its all about them. Look around. Everything is based on cars. )
I think its just due to how spread out America is, the automobile becomes the most efficient way of getting people from where they are to where they need to be.

It has nothing to do with "religion" or "God".

If I rode a bike to work, it would take me 80 minutes to get to my office and 85 minutes back. Longer if I had to lug a bag back from a stop at Walmart.

That's a lot of time, and a lot of energy, I'm not a world class athlete- I would have some difficulties with this.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:06 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,631,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I think its just due to how spread out America is, the automobile becomes the most efficient way of getting people from where they are to where they need to be.

It has nothing to do with "religion" or "God".

If I rode a bike to work, it would take me 80 minutes to get to my office and 85 minutes back. Longer if I had to lug a bag back from a stop at Walmart.

That's a lot of time, and a lot of energy, I'm not a world class athlete- I would have some difficulties with this.
You made a choice to live this way.
And yes, when one becomes fanatical and revolves their lifestyle around something, it does indeed become a 'religion'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh