Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 07:52 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenGate11 View Post
Thank you to those of you who had helpful feedback to my post. I appreciate those folks! I don't think many of my inquiries were answered but I can feel some peoples' rage come straight through my phone screen! Wow, haha. It's the same attitude I became very used to while living in Pittsburgh, many people can't handle the least bit of criticism about this city. I am glad Pittsburgh is on the rebound, I have spoken with multiple people who lived there in the 60's, 70's, 80's, even 90's and all said it was deplorable. I hope that Pittsburgh continues to move on up and become better/greater as time goes on!

To reiterate a few things for people who either needlessly attacked me or felt I was being dishonest just for the sake of doing so, YES, I got in 8 accidents...7 not my fault. It is hard to rear-end yourself or smash in the side of your car all by yourself and subsequently be taken to the hospital. It is true that I saw only one really colorful sunset in 2.5 years...there are not frequently breathtaking , stunning sunsets there like you see in other places, I think maybe it's just the humidity perhaps, no biggie of course. I am not too sheltered I wouldn't say, as I have traveled to every state in the US at least twice and many different countries all over the world. I don't do too well in constantly overcast places I love blue skies and sunshine!

The fact that people seem to want to argue with me about my experiences and questions truly only serves to reiterate to me that, even though I've met some fantastic and inspiring people in Pittsburgh and made some Yinzers my close friends, it is not my imagination that people are vehemently (if not irrationally) defensive and have an EPICALLY geo- and ethnocentric stance on this city. I remember someone in Philly telling me about this same phenomenon before moving there. But that's all beside the point I suppose.

Not everything about my experience was awful. I met a lot of other good doctors/scientists and love how Pittsburg is merging into the forefront of research in many fields! However, overall, my time there was very unsettling and exceptionally disappointing, and I was seeking perspectives on my experiences and questions regarding the city and unique culture. Again, thank you to those who offered some objective information and not unfounded and completely ridiculous personal attacks.

Thank you all again! Take good care.

Yac. Please make sure this idiot doesn't have several accounts. I don't want to accidentally read this type of nonsense under a different username.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:21 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
My favorite Pittsburgh oddity has nothing to do with traffic, smoking or anything the OP mentioned and really only happens once a year. In fact it happened to me yesterday. I saw a woman come out of a store with ridiculous big hair, makeup and an outfit that screamed 1980s, leaving me uncertain as to whether she was in typical yinzer garb or dressed up for a Halloween party.

It was the former.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:34 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
My favorite Pittsburgh oddity has nothing to do with traffic, smoking or anything the OP mentioned and really only happens once a year. In fact it happened to me yesterday. I saw a woman come out of a store with ridiculous big hair, makeup and an outfit that screamed 1980s, leaving me uncertain as to whether she was in typical yinzer garb or dressed up for a Halloween party.

It was the former.
I've been seeing big hair occasionally among the 20-somethings. Maybe it's coming back in style.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:43 AM

385 posts, read 309,762 times
The eighties came back and went already. It's all about 1991 now.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:28 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,741 times
Why would you come on and post this? If this is real (8 accidents, dying people, working 100+ hours per week..... really??) it sounds like you were in a really small sh-itty bubble of Pittsburgh and didn't really get a chance to enjoy anything.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:04 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
I've been seeing big hair occasionally among the 20-somethings. Maybe it's coming back in style.
It was the one day a year when this is seen and that day was Halloween. Really not that uncommon, however.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:35 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
Riight. I gave op the benefit of doubt.. now I regret it.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh