Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2015, 11:43 AM

59 posts, read 89,407 times

Advertisements

I am rehabbing a huge house with the potential to be split into 3 units of 2-3 bdrs of average quality each, or fixed into a very nice sfh with 7 bdrs/5bas to sell for maybe $220k+ based on comparables. It is in an average public school district but is very conveniently located. The house already has a solid fire escape installed. It does lack private parking for now and has a tiny back yard (another thread about this house: //www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...back-yard.html)

My business partner thinks the 3-unit apartment option is the way to go. The house was a personal care home before, so all the utilities are already in the right places, most of the interior walls can stay in place, and it has the fire escape too. I will have to apply for a special use through the local zoning hearing board, and figure out parking. Total investment will be about $35k-40k/unit.

I, on the other hand, think that the house can be turned into a very nice 7/5 over 6,000 sqft. The primary drawback is the small back yard and current lack of on-site parking, although a parking pad might be able to be squeezed in. The fire escape will have to go and a back deck installed. Total investment will be similar to the 3-unit option.

My partner and I disagree on who would buy such a huge SFH. He says that the utility costs for the SFH option would be a turnoff (although I think utility costs might be reduced with HVAC zoning), and people just don't have such big families to require 7 beds. However, the SFH option would offer the better ROI... if it can be sold. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 11:53 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,392,312 times
Without knowing the location it is hard to tell you. I like to offer one of my reality friends some cash to run any house that I am looking at. Once you know the local comps and rental prices you can proceed with a budget and a plan that would work.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:17 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Not sure how you're figuring out ROI (or over what length of time), especially if your sale price is only $220K. The rental market is very tight and as long as your property isn't in a horrible neighborhood, there shouldn't be difficulty renting 3 units. You would have ongoing maintenance, but your pricing should cover that. You would want to somehow try to get three off-street parking spaces.

Another option might be to sell the place to someone who wants to live in one unit and rent the others to live basically mortgage-free (I have a friend doing this in MWS, who promotes his open units on AirBnB when he doesn't have a tenant).

As far as energy costs go, check with Duquense Light or a company like Green Mountain Energy for alternatives and things like rebates or small grants (which would probably be easier to attain for an apartment conversion than a SFH).

Selling it as a SFH would imply a larger family or extended family. The lack of a yard makes the house a very unappealing option for such a buyer, IMO.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:34 AM

440 posts, read 549,587 times
Lots of unknown factors..Location is a huge issue. I couldn't imagine how renting it out wouldn't give you a much higher ROI.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:20 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
Parking is another huge problem. Every day it's getting worse trying to find decent parking in neighborhoods. I wouldn't want to rent or buy an apartment or house where I wasn't guaranteed at least a spot.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Parking is another huge problem. Every day it's getting worse trying to find decent parking in neighborhoods. I wouldn't want to rent or buy an apartment or house where I wasn't guaranteed at least a spot.
You have to watch out if you make it a 3 unit, you could have to find parking for 6 cars

Old 11-08-2015, 04:55 PM

59 posts, read 89,407 times
Parking is definitely the issue with the borough. They think there are currently too many apartment units in the area, which brings down property values and creates a street parking problem. I talked with the inspector who nixed the triplex idea in the bud. He said that 2 off-street parking spaces must be created for each unit, so even if it is turned into a duplex, off-street parking space is still the issue.

I have to discuss further with the inspector to see if we can work out on-site parking to the side of the house/lot; it'll be somewhat of a tight squeeze though, but I might be able to fit a 2-car driveway in depending on how the inspector feels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
Lots of unknown factors..Location is a huge issue. I couldn't imagine how renting it out wouldn't give you a much higher ROI.
If I flip it and put in a total of $150k, I can probably sell it for at least $220k, and probably finance it for somewhere around that amount while renting the house out as a whole for market rent, bringing a profit potential of at least $70k (not counting the rent and before taxes if selling).

If I fix it up as a duplex for $100k and hold it, gross monthly rent will be appx. $2k, annual rent pre-tax is probably around $20k, meaning a ROI of 20% annually. This is why I'd rather turn it into a SFH than a duplex, but let me know if you think my numbers are off or if you disagree with my assessment.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:10 PM

If it was my place I would get an appraisal on the house with the improvements that you want done, there is nothing worse than flipping a home and not having one bank that will finance it. I am really safe with my real estate investments. I don't like to gamble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: