Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2015, 12:05 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
The city employees who would get the increase in pay, are city residents, and in turn city taxpayers.
Not to mention they spend money in the city, which further stimulates the local economy.

One could argue that the taxpayers also spend money in the city. But this isn't actually 100% true, because a certain percentage of payers of property taxes are businesses, landlords, and people who otherwise no longer live in Pittsburgh as their primary residence. Therefore, all things considered, redistribution from taxpayers to city workers will tend to be a net positive.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:11 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,252 times
I find the notion that this increase in the minimum wage is being pursued to increase the efficacy of corrupt political patronage to simply be bizarre. I can't find the thread of logic in that thought process. Surely if that were Peduto's actual aim there's a more effective way to do it and certainly a more underhanded one that wouldn't require holding a press conference to announce it.

Just because you like to wield an "anti-corruption" hammer, it doesn't make every policy proposal a nail.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:19 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Only a fool would call others hypocrites, when the fool is endorsing the blank check worth millions state/local tax free for the full life of the purported hypocrite. To add salt to the wound, the fool actually might believe that a Peduto is authorizing a $15 minimum wage to the benefit of the city taxpayers.
Yet despite your awkwardly-worded nonsensical response, you fail to offer a justification for your own hypocrisy. Interesting! Obviously you didn't earn your teacher pension in the English classroom.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:24 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
The city employees who would get the increase in pay, are city residents, and in turn city taxpayers.
The money taken from their checks to pay their taxes came from taxpayers, just like their take home pay.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:48 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The money taken from their checks to pay their taxes came from taxpayers, just like their take home pay.
This^^^^

May as well make it more of an increase since there seems to be full approval.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:09 PM

385 posts, read 309,670 times
It boggles my mind that people here actually seem mad about city workers being paid fairly.

Some advice: if you don't pay taxes in the city, your opinion on this is meaningless. Have a nice day.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:13 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Yet despite your awkwardly-worded nonsensical response, you fail to offer a justification for your own hypocrisy. Interesting! Obviously you didn't earn your teacher pension in the English classroom.
And once again, I thank you for paying those state and school taxes to supplement my pension. You appear to be unwilling to open your eyes to the fact that you will continue to pay for my pension (and that of thousands of others) for the rest of your life in Pa.. It will be highly unlikely that you personally will ever reap the benefits of a public service employee, unless you become one (via any political connections that you might have). And when it finally dawns upon you that your local politician is serving the needs of himself first, regardless of what he/she is trying to sell you, you might cease your jaded rants of the hypocrisy of others. The legislature and the Ridge administration sold this state pension idea to the constituency as being a benefit to all. The politicians needed the support of the teacher's union for passage, and the rest is history. Thank you, for being so blind to the facts, and for the checks that you will be regularly paying to the state on my behalf, for the next 30 years, or so.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPizzaHutFan View Post
It boggles my mind that people here actually seem mad about city workers being paid fairly.

Some advice: if you don't pay taxes in the city, your opinion on this is meaningless. Have a nice day.
I have no issue with anyone being fairly paid. I've always said here that people need to be paid what they're worth and deserved, while some feel that certain employers checkbooks should be protected at all costs.

However, when local government wants to hand out taxpayers $$$, it should first be looked at where their other use of funds is going and who it's going to. I understand the concept of more for the same/less gets approval by many, but it shouldn't.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:16 PM

385 posts, read 309,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I have no issue with anyone being fairly paid. I've always said here that people need to be paid what they're worth and deserved, while some feel that certain employers checkbooks should be protected at all costs.

However, when local government wants to hand out taxpayers $$$, it should first be looked at where their other use of funds is going and who it's going to. I understand the concept of more for the same/less gets approval by many, but it shouldn't.
We've underpaid for hard work for a long time and it's high time we paid fairly.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPizzaHutFan View Post
We've underpaid for hard work for a long time and it's high time we paid fairly.
Spoken like a local government employee. I can understand defending corruption and same for more/less if taxpayers and local government are writing one's check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh