Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 07:44 AM

385 posts, read 309,584 times

Advertisements

*gets a sweet $15/hr minimum wage city job* "Whew, I'm set for life!" *puts feet up, pops champagne*

Old 11-13-2015, 07:51 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPizzaHutFan View Post
*gets a sweet $15/hr minimum wage city job* "Whew, I'm set for life!" *puts feet up, pops champagne*

Actually, a lot of young, impressionable people will think exactly that if they get such a gig. And its a real roadblock to career progression.

$15 would put them on the same level as 42% of the American people, a lower wage provides motivation for them to work hard and build their lives into something more.

Sure, some people will still be motivated to excel, but others will be stifled in their progress with this.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Actually, a lot of young, impressionable people will think exactly that if they get such a gig. And its a real roadblock to career progression.

$15 would put them on the same level as 42% of the American people, a lower wage provides motivation for them to work hard and build their lives into something more.

Sure, some people will still be motivated to excel, but others will be stifled in their progress with this.
"We can't pay them fairly, because then they won't improve themselves!"

I thought Calvinism was a thing of the past, but apparently not.

You can judge a society by the way they treat their most vulnerable and their lowest members. Apparently what we do is tell them that their work isn't worth a fare wage and that they just don't work hard enough to deserve better. How sad.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:02 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I'm sorry, but this has always been a ridiculous rationale to me.

Let's say, hypothetically speaking, there was some treatment which would become available that would boost someone's IQ by 30 points and make them into a diligent, hard worker. Let's also say it was affordable and basically universally taken. This would result in a tremendous rise in overall productivity no doubt. There would not be any translation into higher wages overall, however. There would still be low-wage work which needed to be done, and those stuck in these jobs would find it hard to advance, because even if they were now working 200% harder than they had before, so was everyone else. Indeed, with everyone working harder, there might actually be less jobs to go around, which, unless the work week was shortened, might mean higher unemployment.

What I'm trying to get across here is that while you can argue that hard work is a solution on an individual level (which I'm very dubious about for different reasons) it's not a solution on a society-wide level to the issue of poverty. Indeed, I'd argue since they'll always be poor people who cannot (for whatever reason) leave the bottom of the income ladder, we might as well ensure they have enough to get by with a decent standard of living...although I've shifted over the years from supporting a higher minimum wage to a national minimum income.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:06 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
It's funny that so many on here consider $15/hr. to be low pay. I don't make that much, and when combined with my partner's income (also sub-$15/hr.) we live comfortably---albeit not extravagantly---here. We pay our bills on time, and once my long-term debts are paid down (less than three years) I'll have ~$500+/month to invest or save. No, we'll never be able to comfortably afford a decent home in the East End unless we nearly double our earnings. So be it.

I also have to laugh at the notion of some of us being "too stupid" to not negotiate what we're worth with our employers. My partner and I are extremely dedicated hard workers who never call off and often work "off the clock", yet if either of us demanded a pay increase our asses would be in the unemployment line. We don't all work cushy jobs with ample benefits at Pitt, Google, or CMU, which it seems like most of you on here do. It was a Monday when someone from PNC's HR department called me to talk about why I was a disgruntled worker. I indicated that my compensation was insulting for the profit I was delivering back to the organization. I was terminated that Friday, and the issues I raised were never addressed. Why work on fixing what ails your organization when you view your workers as being "expendable"?

Old 11-13-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
It's funny that so many on here consider $15/hr. to be low pay. I don't make that much, and when combined with my partner's income (also sub-$15/hr.) we live comfortably---albeit not extravagantly---here. We pay our bills on time, and once my long-term debts are paid down (less than three years) I'll have ~$500+/month to invest or save. No, we'll never be able to comfortably afford a decent home in the East End unless we nearly double our earnings. So be it.

I also have to laugh at the notion of some of us being "too stupid" to not negotiate what we're worth with our employers. My partner and I are extremely dedicated hard workers who never call off and often work "off the clock", yet if either of us demanded a pay increase our asses would be in the unemployment line. We don't all work cushy jobs with ample benefits at Pitt, Google, or CMU, which it seems like most of you on here do. It was a Monday when someone from PNC's HR department called me to talk about why I was a disgruntled worker. I indicated that my compensation was insulting for the profit I was delivering back to the organization. I was terminated that Friday, and the issues I raised were never addressed. Why work on fixing what ails your organization when you view your workers as being "expendable"?
It sounds like you should brush up on how to negotiate with your employer.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:24 AM

831 posts, read 878,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

$15/hour is about $30k/year. If you're actually making less than $30k/year working full time then I would think that you need to find a new job (unless you're passionate about your job and the work means more to you than the money).

Old 11-13-2015, 08:49 AM

The idea of working people saying that they don't deserve $30k a year is kind of horrifying, truth be told.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:06 AM

618 posts, read 692,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
It never ceases to amaze me as to how politicians choose to spend other people's money. It is the shortsightedness of their decisions that have created many of the critical issues that we now face in our state/local economy. With his $15/hr. minimum wage for all city workers mandate, Peduto has opened a door for greater cronyism within our city. With the premier health benefit packages, the paid vacation time, the pensions, union job protection/ job security, and now, a $15 minimum wage for little/no job skills, the friends/family of any local politician wanting a job, will always be rewarded by being the first to be hired. No way businesses follow suit. This is another case of a politician's "palm being greased".
This seems ever so slightly hypocritical coming from a retired teacher collecting a state-funded pension, protected by one of those darn unions. I guess it's never too soon to shut the door behind you though. The cost and number of jobs is minimal. I'm far more concerned about the six figure payments made to political appointees who are granted far more costly crony positions.

Beyond that, you are not a city resident. And you are benefiting from a similar crony establishment-controlled public education hiring and retirement system. So please, spare me.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:31 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPizzaHutFan View Post
The idea of working people saying that they don't deserve $30k a year is kind of horrifying, truth be told.
I never understand the array of people who are outraged at someone making a decent middle-class living at a blue-collar job, but who don't bat an eyelash that the top 25 hedge fund managers make more than all kindergarten teachers in the country.

I mean, I suppose if you believed in a zero-sum world, you could argue that lowering the wages of the people who provide goods and services would lead to a higher standard of living for the consumer. The problem is, we've been cutting real wages for lower-income Americans for 35 years now, and it has not resulted in increased prosperity overall. It seems that there's no upside to this for anyone but the top 10% of the income scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh