Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 07:55 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
I think the average citizen here is in more danger from Johnny America and his AR15 than they will ever be from a Syrian refugee. We've been living under an increasing threat of domestic terrorism for years. I am old enough to remember this same sentiment when we accepted African refugees. I can't count how many times I've read "lock and load people" in social media over the past few days. Is there a handbook these guys all refer to for their nationalistic sayings?
The danger of dying due to violent crime is lower now than it has been in decades.

Of course, that doesn't stop Americans from thinking, for some odd reason, crime is high...

Old 11-17-2015, 07:59 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPizzaHutFan View Post
Remember the panic in the late 1800s/early 1900s about "bomb-throwing Italian anarchist immigrants" that resulted in the Sacco & Vanzetti show trial? America turned out fine. There is nothing new under the sun.
I direct you to read about:
the Haymarket Affair
the assassination of President Wm McKinley
the 1919 anarchist bombings
the 1920 Wall Street bombing

If you want to bring up history, don't try to sweep it under the rug.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:02 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,100,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The danger of dying due to violent crime is lower now than it has been in decades.

Of course, that doesn't stop Americans from thinking, for some odd reason, crime is high...
I know that the violent crime rate is down. I was making the point that, hello, we live with mass shootings now as if it's business as usual right now! But hey, we can't call that terrorism, nah, that's "mental illness" and it's the result of the state/cops/doctors/parents failing to recognize it. The people who do believe there's a criminal waiting for them around every corner are the ones falling for this xenophobic BS. Turn off the AM radio people and stop falling for the fear tactics.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
As a father whose two-year-old son currently has stage four cancer
While I may disagree with you politically on this particular issue, please know that you have my sympathy for your son's battle - I'm a father myself.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:04 AM

385 posts, read 309,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I direct you to read about:
the Haymarket Affair
the assassination of President Wm McKinley
the 1919 anarchist bombings
the 1920 Wall Street bombing

If you want to bring up history, don't try to sweep it under the rug.
Yep, and everything turned out just fine and Italians are fully-integrated members of society. Thank you for proving my point.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:09 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Remember the panic in the late 1800s/early 1900s about "bomb-throwing Italian anarchist immigrants" that resulted in the Sacco & Vanzetti show trial? America turned out fine. There is nothing new under the sun.
Most researchers now believe that Sacco & Vanzetti were indeed guilty.
Regardless one can just look at the Tsarnaev refugees for a more contemporary example.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Yep, and everything turned out just fine and Italians are fully-integrated members of society. Thank you for proving my point.
So a few bombings and an assassination of a President today would be a perfectly fine price to pay in your mind to be able to fully-integrate a new influx of Syrians into American society?

Old 11-17-2015, 08:11 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,302 times
Quote:
Not only that... but the poster seemingly fails to follow his own advice about history. For one thing- Leon Czolgosz was a Polish immigrant... not an Italian. Additionally, there is plenty of controversy and a wide variety of theories about what was actually behind the Haymarket Riots. Many historians question the official narrative that starts with "anarchist provocateurs".

Old 11-17-2015, 08:14 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,100,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
So a few bombings and an assassination of a President today would be a perfectly fine price to pay in your mind to be able to fully-integrate a new influx of Syrians into American society?
Foreign born assassins don't have the market cornered on killing presidents.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Not only that... but the poster seemingly fails to follow his own advice about history. For one thing- Leon Czolgosz was a Polish immigrant... not an Italian. Additionally, there is plenty of controversy and a wide variety of theories about what was actually behind the Haymarket Riots. Many historians question the official narrative that starts with "anarchist provocateurs".
Czolgosz wasn't an Italian, of course. He was still an anarchist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh