Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2015, 10:57 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I expect lifetime NRA memberships and home defense firearms are doing very well right now, and deservedly so.
I don't doubt it, it's easy to scare stupid people. Just look at how much money the firearm industry made with the 8 years of, "Obama gonna git yer guns!" rhetoric. Yet, here he is, a year to go, when is he coming for my guns? I'm not holding my breath.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:58 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Not too long ago, I saw someone open carrying right in the middle of Market Square. Surely, that one guy would be no match for an ISIS gang marching through with military grade automatic weapons, but at least it is something. I feel bad for the victims in the Paris, they were literally defenseless sitting sheep set up to be slaughtered. They didn't even have a chance. People should have the right to defend themselves, especially when politicians like Peduto are more concerned about getting publicity and progressive accolades than worrying about the safety of the community. Even ultra-progressives like Diane Feinstein and Chuck Schumer are concerned about open ended Syrian immigration because they know what a devastating repeat 9/11 attack would have on their communities.
Of course you are falling into the exact same trap that you fall in when you condemn all Syrian refugees to their current fate. You are making all kinds of irresponsible and naïve assumptions about that dude you saw in the square. Perhaps he has a hair-trigger temper and will end up shooting some innocent bystander. Maybe he'll open fire needlessly on a brown man holding a pop bottle (or do you think that never happens?). Your confidence is misplaced and silly, as are your fears. You don't even know if that guy you saw has a permit or if he is an American citizen. Did you vet him properly? I bet you never even looked at his papers.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:00 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Not too long ago, I saw someone open carrying right in the middle of Market Square. Surely, that one guy would be no match for an ISIS gang marching through with military grade automatic weapons, but at least it is something. I feel bad for the victims in the Paris, they were literally defenseless sitting sheep set up to be slaughtered. They didn't even have a chance. People should have the right to defend themselves, especially when politicians like Peduto are more concerned about getting publicity and progressive accolades than worrying about the safety of the community. Even ultra-progressives like Diane Feinstein and Chuck Schumer are concerned about open ended Syrian immigration because they know what a devastating repeat 9/11 attack would have on their communities. Peduto should brandish his progressive credentials by putting in more of those bike lanes and ugly bike share bicycles. As annoying as they are, at least they aren't going to kill anyone. It's not cute and hipster to have to witness one of your kids or relatives being blown up.
I can't imagine anyone would be able to have done anything had they been carrying their own firearm. I cannot imagine living a life where I am always ready to shoot, no matter what I am doing. Do you enjoy your dinner with your gun on the table? Do you take turns scouting out the area around you? Do you excuse yourself to do a perimeter check? By the time you understand what is going on, procure your weapon, and actually react you are either dead or the terrorist is gone. It's laughable to think that armed citizens would have made any difference there. I guess though that people like to say that at least they might have had a chance.

All you can do is be aware of your surroundings and know your exits in large crowded places.The one survivor from the theater even mentioned that she knew where the exit was because she always looks to see where they are when she enters such a place. But you can't live your life in a constant heightened state of readiness, it's impossible.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:02 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,198,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
I don't doubt it, it's easy to scare stupid people. Just look at how much money the firearm industry made with the 8 years of, "Obama gonna git yer guns!" rhetoric. Yet, here he is, a year to go, when is he coming for my guns? I'm not holding my breath.
There's gullible people with most every issue. Some will believe anything you tell them. That's how most all politicians get elected. In regards to this issue of refugees, some even think it's a good idea.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:05 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,541,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
You didn't seem to want the results of the informal survey of my co-workers (which you asked us to take) because it didn't fit with your programming.
It's because I don't believe you.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
There's gullible people with most every issue. Some will believe anything you tell them. That's how most all politicians get elected. In regards to this issue of refugees, some even think it's a good idea.
It's a terrible scenario, the US like many other countries would be offering safety. It's not an easy decision, I don't think anybody thinks this is some advantageous thing to do, but it is the right thing to do. 10,000 people, keep that number in mind. How many would PA get, a couple hundred? It's a small sacrifice to help these people, how is it going to impact anybody here? This hysteria being drummed up by the conservatives is terrible, and it gets the gullible people you speak of another reason to hate.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
It's because I don't believe you.
Good come back. So, just to be clear, you refuse to look at any of this more objectively, and you refuse to accept another poster's submission? So what exactly are you here for then?

Old 11-18-2015, 11:14 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,198,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
It's a terrible scenario, the US like many other countries would be offering safety. It's not an easy decision, I don't think anybody thinks this is some advantageous thing to do, but it is the right thing to do. 10,000 people, keep that number in mind. How many would PA get, a couple hundred? It's a small sacrifice to help these people, how is it going to impact anybody here? This hysteria being drummed up by the conservatives is terrible, and it gets the gullible people you speak of another reason to hate.
Hopefully out of that few hundred, those in favor, including yourself give them a home and help them find jobs and care for them since you're convinced it's a good idea.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:15 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Of course you are falling into the exact same trap that you fall in when you condemn all Syrian refugees to their current fate. You are making all kinds of irresponsible and naïve assumptions about that dude you saw in the square. Perhaps he has a hair-trigger temper and will end up shooting some innocent bystander. Maybe he'll open fire needlessly on a brown man holding a pop bottle (or do you think that never happens?). Your confidence is misplaced and silly, as are your fears. You don't even know if that guy you saw has a permit or if he is an American citizen. Did you vet him properly? I bet you never even looked at his papers.
Every group has an isolated nut here and there. I think though that your average American going out on a indiscriminate shooting spree would be condemned by 99.999% of the rest of the American population. Does 99.999% of the Muslim population condemn the jihadist when he/she goes out on a shooting spree killing the western infidels? I think many do, but it is not even close given the crickets we hear from the Muslim world after many of these attacks and even the outright cheers we hear as demonstrated by the recent soccer match in Turkey over the weekend. It takes a village to support a terrorist network. The people responsible aren't just the ones with their hands on the trigger, but also those who provide financial, tactical, and silent acquiescence. Until moderate Muslims speak out against the fringe and put a damper on jihad and indiscriminate killing of westerners, I don't want to admit any more into our nation.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:16 AM

385 posts, read 309,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
We have a vetting process for firearm purchasers conducted by government agencies. This obviously fails on occasion & people die. You however believe refugee vetting by government agencies will be foolproof though.
Government vetting is sufficient for the demographic most responsible for mass shootings, but government vetting isn't sufficient for refugees, in your opinion. Interesting. Doesn't sound like you apply the same standard to both groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh