Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2015, 02:50 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
There were no stories of Bhutanese firing up Parisian cafes in advance of their arrival.
Which Syrians took part in the attacks?

Last I checked the one "Syrian" is thought to have been using the passport of a dead Syrian soldier. His real national identity is unknown. The 2 other Syrian passports found are thought to be forgeries.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:50 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
I agree, and that definitely seems like a page from the playbook the GOP candidates (and party) are using right now, as we speak. They are looking for opportunities to exploit tragedy.
That's the playbook of every political party anywhere though - it's merely whether you personally agree or disagree with the subsequent policy being touted that you label it as either 'exploitation' or 'common sense'

Old 11-18-2015, 02:51 PM

618 posts, read 692,264 times
Quote:
There were no stories of Bhutanese firing up Parisian cafes in advance of their arrival.
Nor are there are there such stories of Syrian refugees.

Quote:
Despite speculation, not one of the Paris attackers has so far been identified as a Syrian national.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...urn-them-away/

These are French and Belgian nationals who were radicalized despite growing up in the EU. Can we please pretend that we can read/comprehend the basic facts and background of the terrorist attack?

Old 11-18-2015, 02:52 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
The best and most obvious post made.
Just to clarify for you, since I know what kind of reader you are:

There is still NO proof that there were any Syrian refugees among the Paris attackers. So what do you think the point is?

Old 11-18-2015, 02:53 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
I agree, and that definitely seems like a page from the playbook the GOP candidates (and party) are using right now, as we speak. They are looking for opportunities to exploit tragedy.
Right now, you're just hearing candidates give advanced warning that the issue will be used if this doesn't work out.

That's actually good, as it will keep the powers that be on-point and make double sure that no one is admitted that poses a threat.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I guess there are STORIES of Syrian refugees among the Paris attackers... but so far, unsubstantiated.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:56 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Just to clarify for you, since I know what kind of reader you are:

There is still NO proof that there were any Syrian refugees among the Paris attackers. So what do you think the point is?
I believe the end point will be that chances aren't taken, refugees will not be taken in, and the discussion will be moot.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Right now, you're just hearing candidates give advanced warning that the issue will be used if this doesn't work out.

That's actually good, as it will keep the powers that be on-point and make double sure that no one is admitted that poses a threat.
Exactly... exploiting fear so they can win politically. That's what I said. They are almost, like, psychics. If the terrorists attack here, they can now blame the president... no matter the actual source of the terrorists. Pretty dirty trick, while simultaneously casting aside the victims of of their party comrades' previous policies. Very devious. I think it's a shame that the US citizenry is falling for it so easily, and that the GOP and its camp followers are so willing to see the refugees as collateral damage in an election campaign. Someone above even said "disgusting" and I'm increasingly inclined to agree.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:00 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Which Syrians took part in the attacks?

Last I checked the one "Syrian" is thought to have been using the passport of a dead Syrian soldier. His real national identity is unknown. The 2 other Syrian passports found are thought to be forgeries.

"ISIS" stand for the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, their capital of Raqqa is also claimed by the Syrian government.

The loyalty of the attackers in Paris were to a government or quasi-governmental group that is located in modern Syria.

The apparent fact that most, if not all, of the attackers were legal citizens or had legal status in the EU, doesn't change who they had loyalty to and who they were willing to die for.

Even if none of them had Syrian antecedents or had ever been there, the danger depends on their loyalties not on their ethnicity.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:07 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Quote:
"ISIS" stand for the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, their capital of Raqqa is also claimed by the Syrian government.

The loyalty of the attackers in Paris were to a government or quasi-governmental group that is located in modern Syria.

The apparent fact that most, if not all, of the attackers were legal citizens or had legal status in the EU, doesn't change who they had loyalty to and who they were willing to die for.

Even if none of them had Syrian antecedents or had ever been there, the danger depends on their loyalties not on their ethnicity.
So if a native Syrian is not loyal to ISIS, they should be fine to enter? I mean there are French that are loyal to ISIS and not France so that means that there quite easily could be Syrians not loyal to ISIS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh