Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 06:38 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Hope it gets built. Sure is a eyesore now! The Civic Arena jinx is on though. The Pens will never win the Stanley Cup again. We all know the jinx is on with tearing down that cool place to build that box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 06:43 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Hope it gets built. Sure is a eyesore now! The Civic Arena jinx is on though. The Pens will never win the Stanley Cup again. We all know the jinx is on with tearing down that cool place to build that box.
Nobody would actually bet $$$ on them not winning a Cup, but of the 3 'burgh sports teams they have the best chance as long as ownership stays the same or a similar owner comes on board.

As much as I liked the Civic Arena more than CEC, it was time for it to go, unfortunately.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:16 PM

12 posts, read 15,019 times
It looks great, but I want to see more height in the city. Pittsburgh is due for more tall buildings.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:02 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendarymb View Post
It looks great, but I want to see more height in the city. Pittsburgh is due for more tall buildings.

Pittsburgh will only be due for more tall buildings when there is a demand for that kind of space. Until a developer can get folks to sign on the dotted line obligating them to lease the new space, a bank isn't likely to provide the money for the project.

Tall buildings are very expensive to build, and have a lot of space to fill with paying tenants.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:04 AM

12 posts, read 15,019 times
With the amount of property that China and Dubai are buying in places like Detroit, I can see Pittsburgh being in the discussion, especially when you factor in the attention President Obama has given it in the last number of years. It'll come soon than later.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:37 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times
Does anyone have any photos or updates on how the streeet grid work is going at the civic arena site? Haven't seen it in a while but curious if it's close to being ready.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:04 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Does anyone have any photos or updates on how the streeet grid work is going at the civic arena site? Haven't seen it in a while but curious if it's close to being ready.
Buster, two streets are completely finished and being used for automobile traffic - although they are so refreshingly quiet (to walk on): Fullterton Street and one phase of Wylie Avenue.

I guess (and hope) that there will be lush, shade-providing, lovely trees in those hundreds (?) of vaults in the ground where currently there are weeds. Wtf? Those are for catching stormwater, obviously, but they have one after another after another....and they don't look like they would catch much anyway.

Work continues south of Fullerton. The utilities are being installed, and I think it's a little behind schedule. Don't quote me, but I would not expect any groundbreaking for any new buildings anywhere on that land until 2018. Maybe someone has more insight.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:53 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,300 times
Hard to tell some of the details from those pictures. It appears to cap part of 579. And just from appearances, it seems like more of 579 could be capped. It should be a seamless connection of the Hill with Downtown, as if 579 wasn't there.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:34 PM

969 posts, read 772,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Hard to tell some of the details from those pictures. It appears to cap part of 579. And just from appearances, it seems like more of 579 could be capped. It should be a seamless connection of the Hill with Downtown, as if 579 wasn't there.
The 579 cap is definitely happening and that is separate from the Civic Arena site. I would guess the cap project is completed first unless they need to work the two simultaneously.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:06 AM

96 posts, read 73,599 times
Was Fullerton Street originally a part of the grid before the arena site was there? And did it carry the same name? I hope so, I think it's a cool nod to history to revive a dead paper street after so many years.

I think the 579 cap is limited by ramps and such but maybe I'm wrong. I know there are people who want to see a cap over 279 as well on the North Side but the size and location of that is limited by the web of ramps where 279-579 meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh