Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 11:28 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
An 18 story residential hirise in the strip isn't going to provide "affordable" rentals.

Just more 2 grand a month flats for the new urban elite that have been pouring into the city.

There may or may not be an "affordable rental crisis" (in my opinion, it's still relatively easy to find a $500-600 studio, which is affordable to me). However, building fancy new apartment buildings is not going to increase the amount of affordable rentals in the city, so I agree.

That said, I am not generally against the idea of more upscale housing, as long as the market can support it, and as long as no historic buildings are destroyed in its construction! If these new upscale apartment buildings come at the expense of subdivided houses, though, I expect that the supply of "affordable rentals" will certainly decrease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 11:37 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
What I think has been happening in the last few years with all these new apartment buildings is that there was a pent-up demand for years and years. Like so many things, it goes back to the steel bust of the 1980s. For decades, there was very little new apartment construction in the city. I remember on this very forum people moving here were asking for suggestions on modern apartments and the response was always "you'll only find old apartment buildings and sub-divided crappy houses."

The last few years have seen new people (lots of them) moving here and looking for new construction, so the developers are building what people want. It seems to be working because most of the new places are leased or will be upon opening.

It's a good problem to have and these new places, by Pittsburgh standards, are pricier than normal, they fit into many of the new arrivals' budgets, especially if they're coming from the coasts.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:16 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,407,702 times
Are the strip buildings near 28th actually under construction now?

Old 11-25-2015, 12:28 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
There may or may not be an "affordable rental crisis" (in my opinion, it's still relatively easy to find a $500-600 studio, which is affordable to me). However, building fancy new apartment buildings is not going to increase the amount of affordable rentals in the city, so I agree.

That said, I am not generally against the idea of more upscale housing, as long as the market can support it, and as long as no historic buildings are destroyed in its construction! If these new upscale apartment buildings come at the expense of subdivided houses, though, I expect that the supply of "affordable rentals" will certainly decrease.
Generally, construction of new apartment units should cause the rents of older units to depreciate faster. More supply means demand must be falling somewhere after all. It probably won't cause demand to fall right around the new apartment buildings though, because a few hundred new residents make it more likely that there will be new commercial development in the area. Or, in this case, there actually will be retail on the first story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Are the strip buildings near 28th actually under construction now?
If you mean the Three Crossings apartments, yes. Here's a photo of where they stand now (from someone else, on another forum).

Old 11-26-2015, 06:20 PM

Maybe not the Crossings, but I read something about 3-18 story towers going up near 28th and Liberty

Old 11-26-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Maybe not the Crossings, but I read something about 3-18 story towers going up near 28th and Liberty
The 16-story tower is set to go up on the 2600 block of Penn Avenue. If it gets through zoning of course.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:30 AM

175 posts, read 168,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Generally, construction of new apartment units should cause the rents of older units to depreciate faster. More supply means demand must be falling somewhere after all.
This. This part actually concerns me a bit because all of this new construction on the old brownfield and arena/stadium sites is likely to take away the demand from some of the neighborhoods at the early stages of their own resurrection. Those that were previously forced to overpay for antiquated housing simply due to a lack of supply can move into the new units, if there are more people waiting in the wings to overpay for the old housing, rents will continue on their current trajectory. Chances are though, the new construction will take some of the pressure off the overpriced older stock and the landlords/slumlords will be forced to lower their prices to remain competitive. I'm optimistic about Pittsburgh's future but not optimistic enough to believe demand will continue to outstrip supply to the extent that we can continue this growth on all of our blank slates AND in all of our transitioning neighborhoods.

It sure it a great time to be tuning into the developments in this city, the past ten years have been building to this point we are at now with a lot of major undertakings, it will be interesting to see where we are at and what our plans are for the future in another ten years.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT2MAD View Post
This. This part actually concerns me a bit because all of this new construction on the old brownfield and arena/stadium sites is likely to take away the demand from some of the neighborhoods at the early stages of their own resurrection. Those that were previously forced to overpay for antiquated housing simply due to a lack of supply can move into the new units, if there are more people waiting in the wings to overpay for the old housing, rents will continue on their current trajectory. Chances are though, the new construction will take some of the pressure off the overpriced older stock and the landlords/slumlords will be forced to lower their prices to remain competitive. I'm optimistic about Pittsburgh's future but not optimistic enough to believe demand will continue to outstrip supply to the extent that we can continue this growth on all of our blank slates AND in all of our transitioning neighborhoods.

It sure it a great time to be tuning into the developments in this city, the past ten years have been building to this point we are at now with a lot of major undertakings, it will be interesting to see where we are at and what our plans are for the future in another ten years.
As we've talked about before, much of the drop in demand is likely happening in the inner suburbs at either "garden apartment" complexes or for starter homes which catered to newlywed couples. Thus I don't think the city will bear the brunt of this.

To the extent it does, I think it will potentially be a good thing, not a bad one. Subdivided houses make for crappy rental buildings, but if properly restored make for good houses. In some neighborhoods, like Bloomfield, it seems like the vast majority houses of any size have been scooped up by landlords and broken into apartments. Weaker rental markets in all of these neighborhoods would mean the price differential between being owner-occupied and renter-occupied would potentially reverse, changing the economics for flippers. It would also increase the available housing stock for those looking to buy considerably.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:51 PM

With the explosion of residential units in the strip, I still think some plan should have been made to extend Ft Duquense Blvd up the Allegheny. Unless there develops a trunk line of mass transit, maybe a bus BRT on Smallman, I can't see how Penn and Liberty will handle the traffic into town.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:08 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
With the explosion of residential units in the strip, I still think some plan should have been made to extend Ft Duquense Blvd up the Allegheny. Unless there develops a trunk line of mass transit, maybe a bus BRT on Smallman, I can't see how Penn and Liberty will handle the traffic into town.
You have Penn, Liberty and Smallman right now, I don't think the additional residences will cause that much of a problem on those streets.

People made it through the strip during their industrial past, when hundreds of workers were leaving their jobs at the same tim.

Further, in our current era, the lower strip is a big parking location for workers in town, and they all come and leave at the same time.

I just don't see the new residences as creating any kind of great problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh