Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 05:09 AM

831 posts, read 878,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewInTown21 View Post
Hi, I've been living in Pittsburgh for a couple years now. I was in mount Washington and I am now in the Mt Lebanon/Scott Township area. I grew up on the ocean and lived in Erie Pa for a few years. If I was having a bad day or just needed time to get away I could drive to the beach or some state park and be comforted by the peacefulness and beauty. I had "my spot". Even if it was snowing or cold. I could read in my car or just go for a quick walk along the beach.

I can't help but feel a little claustrophobic in Pittsburgh. Despite being here for a couple years, I still haven't found "my spot". I understand I am in the city now so there are obviously more people and a lot more going on, but sometimes I'd like to escape all that. Since there is no ocean or lake to drive to, is there some other alternative around Pittsburgh, preferably southern Pittsburgh?

I'm just looking for a place I can drive to within a short distance to escape all the chaos once in a while. I know I've been spoiled by the beauty of growing up by the ocean, but there has to be some alternative here.

Thanks for any advice!
Try driving down to Ohiopyle. It can be quite breathtaking in the winter...dress warm and hike along the biking trail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 06:36 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
We have some beautiful river parks, where you can just sit by the river and relax. There is nothing more glorious than the Allegheny, Ohio, and Monongahela Rivers! One of my favorite things to do is go to the riverfront parks in nearby towns. We have a beautiful river park and trail in Elizabeth Township (Little Boston), and Dead Man's Hollow nature reserve (on the trail) is peaceful and very beautiful. The best riverfront park I have been to is up in Tarentum. They have benches along the river and I just love it there. After sitting there a while, you can walk around and explore the historic business district and old houses. I used to like sitting by the river at the point (downtown Pittsburgh), but there is just too much concrete (and too many people) there for my taste. I'd rather be sitting on a grassy river bank somewhere in a more rural village setting. The point is still my favorite place to sober up after the bars, though.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:40 AM

385 posts, read 309,635 times
I like to hang out in the dumpster behind Mike and Tony's downtown. If you're lucky you can score free lunch, too.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:10 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times
Raccoon Creek SP shouldn't be a bad drive from there. The lake itself is just so-so but there are some nice trails if you're into that.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:15 AM

140 posts, read 166,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
You don't have to go far from where you are in the South Hills:

South Park
Montour Trail
Panhandle Trail
Boyce-Mayview Park
Settlers Cabin Park (where the aforementioned Pittsburgh Botanic Gardens are)

All are south or west of the city and within a 20 min drive of your location.
^^^^^ This list!! Particularly South Park & Settlers Cabin Park.. The county parks in general are quite peaceful..

South Park has a great selection of windy, wooded roads.. It is always a beautiful drive.. It is nearly impossible to drive there without spotting a family of deer somewhere..

If you're claustrophobic & looking for somewhere "wide open", I'm afraid that there aren't many options around here. The hills make the Pittsburgh region a very "cozy" area.. My suggestion would be to find a clearing at the top of a hill.. Unfortunately, I cant quite think of any in the south hills, but if you happen to find yourself in the eastern suburbs/mon valley, perhaps try taking a trip to Grandview Golf Course near Braddock.. Not too sure if they would be OK with someone driving up there just for the view, but it is the most "Wide open" spot I can think of in the region..

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4038...!7i3328!8i1664

Old 11-23-2015, 11:18 AM

130 posts, read 199,498 times
As a former Erie, PA native I have not found anything to rival Sunset Point at Presque Isle.

But I like to spend my relaxing downtime in North Park. It is the largest of the county parks and about 20-30 min from Downtown. Lots of hiking trails, boat rentals during the spring-fall season. Lots of places around the lake, some a bit hidden, to sit. If you want to be alone among the public the boathouse now houses a restaurant.

Downtown there is obviously the Point State Park that finished up a significant renovation only a few years ago.

Buy my favorite place downtown is Gateway Center Park, very clean, and not that much foot traffic. I enjoy the seating area under the pergolas.

You may also want to try just driving. I do this sometimes when I want to get away. I just get in the car and go. No specific direction in mind, I usually stay off of the interstates though as there are much more interesting things to see on state and local roads. When I finally have had enough ill then break out the map, figure out where I am at, and head home.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:14 AM

175 posts, read 168,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
http://www.peterstownship.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={617EFFB1-7E23-42E2-9B34-040FD016D544}&DE={A0DA697F-51CA-4F95-A34B-873F0F31C332}

Sorry if the link does not work. Peters center church lake.
Not sure if it's the "official name" but the place you are talking about shows up as Peters Lake Park on Google Maps. I'll second this, it's popular with Peters residents but both access points are off the beaten path and I don't ever recall seeing a sign advertising it.

The OP didn't say how far he/she is willing to travel. If you want something more in your backyard, you may want to check out Bird Park.

Lots of great suggestions here, near and far, hopefully the OP finds something that works. I'll also second the river trails and the Montour/Panhandle Trails. If you search for my post in "the next HUGE transportation project" thread there are some more details about the parts of the suburban trails I am familiar with.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:41 PM

395 posts, read 488,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackxp View Post

You may also want to try just driving. I do this sometimes when I want to get away. I just get in the car and go. No specific direction in mind, I usually stay off of the interstates though as there are much more interesting things to see on state and local roads. When I finally have had enough ill then break out the map, figure out where I am at, and head home.
Now that sounds like my type of person😃.Anyway,how about panther hollow lake?I never been there but I think it's still accessible, not sure though. I know that's not the south hills but if you want to find a place like you are talking about I would suggest broadening your boundaries,like I have heard the lake in north park is nice and I have heard the one in moraine state park is nice too.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:00 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,046 times
You can't go 2 feet in Pittsburgh without bumping into a park or green space. There are city, county, and state parks everywhere. Heck, right across the river from the sky skapers on Mt. Washington is the Emerald View Trail. It is quite peaceful there and I always see deer hanging out.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:27 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Right nearby and perhaps in walking/biking distance to you is the Scott Conservancy and Kane Woods. I walk my dog there on occasion. There are a few benches on the trails, some small streams, and while it's not a huge area, you'll definitely be out of reach of most noise and distractions after a mere 10-15 minute walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh