Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 06:51 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
This is true. My kids and their friends are millennials who love the city and close in suburbs until they marry and begin to think about having a family. Then they move to the best suburb, with the best schools, that they can afford. They want to buy a house in the suburbs to raise their family, just as they were raised. This has happened for generation after generation. Families don't change, they still want to raise their children in a single family home, in a safe neighborhood, with good schools. Of course there's always a minority, something less than 20%, who remain in the city for a few years after they've had children, or longer if they can't afford a house in suburbs.
Wow. This pretty much sums up what people chide suburbanites for right here. I'm raising kids in the city for reasons other than what you believe. Myself and my wife are both employed professionals, making a pretty good income, and we choose to stay in the city. Our kids are enrolled in a charter and we have no plans to leave any time soon. What a bubble you live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 07:05 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
This is true. My kids and their friends are millennials who love the city and close in suburbs until they marry and begin to think about having a family. Then they move to the best suburb, with the best schools, that they can afford. They want to buy a house in the suburbs to raise their family, just as they were raised. This has happened for generation after generation. Families don't change, they still want to raise their children in a single family home, in a safe neighborhood, with good schools. Of course there's always a minority, something less than 20%, who remain in the city for a few years after they've had children, or longer if they can't afford a house in suburbs.
This reply is unique in that it lacks both historical perspective and awareness of modern trends. When you say "generation after generation" you're referring to 2.5 generations; the so-called "greatest generation", the boomers, and the older half of generation-X. For the majority of human history, people have lived in dense villages, towns and cities. Suburbs only became possible with affordable automobiles, and only became desirable when white flight began, post-WWII. The move back to cities really kicked into drive in the early 00's. That 50-60 years of suburban desirability is a blink of the eye. City schools didn't go downhill integration drove white people (and money) out of urban school districts. Moving to the suburbs for better schools didn't really start until the late 70's, because city schools were still as good or better than suburban schools.

Also, people aren'ststaying in cities until they can afford the suburbs. It isn't the 90s anymore, in almost every metro in the country, it's cheaper to live in the 'burbs than the city.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:48 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Wow. This pretty much sums up what people chide suburbanites for right here. I'm raising kids in the city for reasons other than what you believe. Myself and my wife are both employed professionals, making a pretty good income, and we choose to stay in the city. Our kids are enrolled in a charter and we have no plans to leave any time soon. What a bubble you live in.
Ditto. My daughter is six now and in first grade at PPS. We could have easily afforded the suburbs, but chose not to.

I have no problem with people saying the majority of people who have kids still choose the suburbs, because this is undoubtedly true. But claiming it's nigh-universal, and if you don't it's because you are too poor to make other choices, is just offensive.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:56 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
I'd say that most people surround themselves by like thinking people when it comes to choices such as these thus anyone relying on or citing anecdotal evidence is really meaningless banter without actual statistics no matter what side of the fence you're on.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:03 AM

27 posts, read 22,405 times
Quote:
Sorry, but this is a gross over-generalization. Not everyone out there with children aspires to live in the suburbs. Having spent years of our childhood in suburbs, my husband and I resolved NOT to go back to that way of life. I'm raising two kids in the city, one of whom is in public school, because I believe that city living is best for ourselves and our kids. We could afford to go to the suburbs but never will.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:18 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I'd say that most people surround themselves by like thinking people when it comes to choices such as these thus anyone relying on or citing anecdotal evidence is really meaningless banter without actual statistics no matter what side of the fence you're on.

I agree. I'd like to see the hard stats about those moving into the City, in particular those moving Downtown and into the Strip. A good friend of mine is building condos down there and the people that are interested are mostly middle aged, 2nd marriage, or divorced women that got all the cash! I don't know how young families could afford that lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh