Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 12:31 PM

310 posts, read 371,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I'm not an expert, but one of those two statements is wrong. We watch lots of Netflix over Verizon DSL.
So i can get Verizon DSL? Is that the same as Fios? So confused :\
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 12:35 PM

310 posts, read 371,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Yeah I have an antenna too, but reception is hit or miss. For some reason I lost WPXI ever since we got a windstorm a few weeks ago and can't tune it in anymore. Odd, because that was always the strongest signal before. I might splurge on an attic or outdoor antenna at some point to see what I can get. The subchannels are interesting if you like old shows. I get 3 PBS channels too.
i never ever had channel 11 (wpxi) im unsure why (i live less than 2 miles from downtown) . I hate when some football games are on there and i have to miss them. My friend has a little better antenna and got channel 11 but not fox 53 (his location was forest hills). odd how things work out.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:49 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crae09 View Post
So i can get Verizon DSL? Is that the same as Fios? So confused :\
No, it's different. I haven't priced this stuff out in years so my knowledge is out of date. Anyway, I'm unwilling to not have a landline for reasons that I can't quite remember now, so Verizon DSL was the cheapest option.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:28 PM

140 posts, read 166,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
For the OP, T-mobile's Binge-On will NOT work with mobile hotspots. So that will not work to stream to your laptop or tv. You can only watch on your smartphone. So you are basically stuck with FiOS or Comcast for your ISP, like it or not. For the lesser of the 2 evils, I will choose FiOS any day over Comcast. If Fios isn't available in your area, and you need speed to stream HD content, you have no choice. It's Comcast or nothing. I really wish there were other options. I would love to get Google Fiber here. If you are ok with SD streaming you could try DSL and probably have a few options.
From my understanding, binge on IS applicable to mobile hotspots to your laptop..

"Does Binge On apply to video streamed while tethering?
Streaming video from included Binge On providers never touches your high-speed data allotment if you're tethering from a smartphone, tablet, or mobile internet device to a laptop, desktop, tablet, or handset. Other devices aren't currently supported."
https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-24292

DSL & FIOS aren't the same.. Fios comes from a fiber line, while DSL comes from a phone line. Both are through verizon though.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:48 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,588,900 times
I currently use FreedomPop personal WiFi but it isn't great for doing a lot of streaming. Their best plan is only 10 gig s of Data, which is fine if you just surf the web and maybe watch some videos and the occasional TV show. Since they recently jacked up their prices, I am trying to make due with the 5 gig service for $39/month. I am kind of on the hunt for a new ISP too and the choices are few and prices are high.

You can also get a mobile hotspot through Virgin Mobile. Freedompop uses their device and network and it does work fine in spite of my living in an underground apartment, just like I said the data cap is sorta low and they don't have an unlimited package at the moment.

Using Dish for TV service and have no complaints about their basic package. Currently they don't have Internet service in this area.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:33 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
I currently use FreedomPop personal WiFi but it isn't great for doing a lot of streaming. Their best plan is only 10 gig s of Data, which is fine if you just surf the web and maybe watch some videos and the occasional TV show. Since they recently jacked up their prices, I am trying to make due with the 5 gig service for $39/month. I am kind of on the hunt for a new ISP too and the choices are few and prices are high.

You can also get a mobile hotspot through Virgin Mobile. Freedompop uses their device and network and it does work fine in spite of my living in an underground apartment, just like I said the data cap is sorta low and they don't have an unlimited package at the moment.

Using Dish for TV service and have no complaints about their basic package. Currently they don't have Internet service in this area.
there are promotional offers for verizon and comcast at 30/month all the time. i would check those out

Old 12-22-2015, 03:30 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,588,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lettert View Post
there are promotional offers for verizon and comcast at 30/month all the time. i would check those out
Yes but the trouble is that they don't stay $30 a month and the price they jack it up to is not currently acceptable to my budget. I've had comcast in the past. I spoke to some Verizon reps last summer and none of them can beat my current rates for more than a few months. Id rather just know and pay the full price from the start than have some special promotion giving me a short term price cut, no matter how big.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:26 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Yes but the trouble is that they don't stay $30 a month and the price they jack it up to is not currently acceptable to my budget. I've had comcast in the past. I spoke to some Verizon reps last summer and none of them can beat my current rates for more than a few months. Id rather just know and pay the full price from the start than have some special promotion giving me a short term price cut, no matter how big.
yeah i hear you....that i unfortunately the state of things right now. I can deal with the trouble of moving switching a few years and paying the small termination fee.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:51 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
I suggest trying to circumvent Comcast at ALL COST. They are an absolute Sewer of a Company. Rated one the WORST Companies to do business with in America, and justifiably so.

First I pay my Bill with Auto Pay to my Credit Card every month, so I'm never late. Yet my Bill IS NEVER THE SAME, Month after Month. 115.xx One Month, 117.xx the Next, Today 121.xx. How is this possible when I'm in a 2 year contract, never late and never order any PPV.

Its the Fees, I've started to put this whole sham of structure together, and really think someone need to call out this company.

Understand that the so-called Broadcast TV Fee and Regional Sports Fee (just saying the name of fees, makes one think BullSh*t)... are just canned justifications to allow Comcast to get more money out of people, without Violating the terms of their Own contracts. See the new thing is locking subs into 2-year contracts (Page from Cell Phone companies) on the upfront costs of the service alone, so when you raise their bills via the "Fees" they can't run, without paying even more. There really is NO Discount with the Contracts, that pricing is the real costs of delivering the services you've bundled. The Contract is solely meant to benefit Comcast, but they need to dress it up to make sub seem like they're getting a deal.

So the Broadcast TV has gone from being 1.50 > 3.00 > NOW 5$, and the Regional Sports Fee is now 3$. This is how Comcast can raise pricing, suck more money from your wallet without Violating the terms of their own contracts. And that same Contract keeps you shackled to the Company.

Absolute HORSESH*T

Its typical Corporate Greed at its absolute worse, and the Customers are the Victims, as they always are. Seriously Comcast needs to be Stopped, they have become the Ma Bell of the Digital Age.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:21 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,622 times
Don't forget Comcast's "HD Technology Fee" of $9.95 per month.

So basically add $20 (HD box "upgrade" + HD tech fee) to every advertised bundle price unless you watch an old CRT tv from 1995.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: