Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 09:08 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
If we stop incarcerating people for innocuous crimes & focus on the violent perps I see humanity in that.
True. Why isn't it that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Every now and then...
I think the legal system is often correct or right, BUT I do think there is a percentage of very bad policing and or judging.

This is one of the worst news stories I have ever heard of and it makes you wonder HOW we can have prisons for profit at all!!!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal

Old 12-29-2015, 11:38 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
There have been a lot of studies which have suggested there are basically two kinds of criminals.

One group is psychopaths. They comprise around 20% of the prison population. They are generally notable because they do things like torture animals in childhood. They continue to be nasty, dangerous people as they grow older as well.

The other group - the vast majority of convicted felons - are essentially normal people, no matter what their rap sheet has on it. They were unremarkable as children, showing plenty of regular traits like compassion and love for their family. And unlike the psychopaths, they eventually "age out" of being criminals. Usually their banging days are done by the time they are 30, and they're totally no longer a danger to anyone by the time the are middle aged. Keeping them locked up for life makes no sense, because it costs us as a society a great deal of money, and has a minimal effect on public safety. Basically, think of this group of criminals as being normal people who fell in with a really bad peer group which had norms which go against most of society. Given all of us have some murdering culture of honor thugs in our background if we go back enough generations, it should be understandable how these types of cultures can continue to survive.

I recall reading a few years back how in California prisons (where the prison gang system is racialized) the black gangs almost invariably end up on the bottom of the totem pole, being perpetually pushed around by the white gangs and the two major Mexican gangs. Most of the black prisoners in the jails just have a few years to serve for slinging dope, and they can't compete with the level of reckless brutality of the neo-nazis or the suranos. Given it's pretty well known there is no particular racial bias to being a psychopath (it's inborn) yet blacks comprise a disproportionate share of our prison system, it stands to reason that a smaller proportion of black prisoners would be the sort of brutal psychopaths needed to stand against that sort of crap.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:16 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I think the legal system is often correct or right, BUT I do think there is a percentage of very bad policing and or judging.

This is one of the worst news stories I have ever heard of and it makes you wonder HOW we can have prisons for profit at all!!!!!

Damn. Hell of a story. I remember an ep of L&O in which Swoozie Kurtz played a corrupt judge who was essentially selling teens into a Prison-for-Profit in exchange for kickbacks. Just evil.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:36 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I really hate prisons for profit and feel it leads to corruption, so I am not convinced the legal system is always on the up and up.

I don't see how contracting out penitentiary services is any different or more corrupting that any other form of government contracting.

The key is to get good people in office to keep an eye on the contractors in this field and every other field.

The alternative to government contracting is to have it all done by virtually unifiable civil servants, and that has its own pitfalls.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:12 AM

111 posts, read 114,745 times
I'm not sure what to make of this, but the very first murder location I clicked on was wildly off. The murder of Nicholas Grant appears on the map as having occurred on Noblestown Road in Westwood. However, he was murdered on Carrick Ave. in Carrick.

The reason for the discrepancy seems simple - he was murdered at the Circle C youth home in Carrick, which was shut down shortly thereafter. There is also a Circle C youth home or youth center on Noblestown Road.

That doesn't inspire much confidence in the rest of the map. However, this might have been a simple mistake that I happened to come across on my first click. It's an interesting map nonetheless.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I don't see how contracting out penitentiary services is any different or more corrupting that any other form of government contracting.
Huh?

Old 12-31-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleStraps View Post
I'm not sure what to make of this, but the very first murder location I clicked on was wildly off. The murder of Nicholas Grant appears on the map as having occurred on Noblestown Road in Westwood. However, he was murdered on Carrick Ave. in Carrick.

The reason for the discrepancy seems simple - he was murdered at the Circle C youth home in Carrick, which was shut down shortly thereafter. There is also a Circle C youth home or youth center on Noblestown Road.

That doesn't inspire much confidence in the rest of the map. However, this might have been a simple mistake that I happened to come across on my first click. It's an interesting map nonetheless.
This is a good point. I posted it for a resource, but if it isn't solid, maybe it is a waste of time? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh